Alternative carry ideas for the J-Frame...

This is a discussion on Alternative carry ideas for the J-Frame... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I simply cannot make my mind up on what way (or holster rather) to carry my J-Frame in when not pocket carrying. I primarily carry ...

Thread: Alternative carry ideas for the J-Frame...

Alternative carry ideas for the J-Frame...

I simply cannot make my mind up on what way (or holster rather) to carry my J-Frame in when not pocket carrying.

I primarily carry a 642 in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster that works great. There are some pants I have that will not allow this due to size of pocket or thin material causing it to print badly...and I really don't feel like trying to go buy a new closet full of clothes.

I am really looking for OTHER ways to carry this firearm rather than an IWB holster. I find IWB holsters a pain in the rear and I think there are better ways.

Options like the Smart Carry:

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

or Tacti-Pac that seems like it would be nice as I could position it in any way I really wanted:

FusionPac IWB Holster | www.TactiPac.com

Just not really sure, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I kind of ruled ankle carry out as I wear boots for work, belly bands seem like they would be pretty uncomfortable as well.

2. Remove Ads

What IWB holster have you used that made you decide that they are a pain in the rear and there are better ways?

I have a belly band, which I have worn around the house to test out, and would wear if for some reason I couldn't carry IWB - but I like having my gun attached securely to my belt as a general rule.

Austin

Kangaroo carry Kangaroo Carry

Where do your wear your IWB holster? Have you tried AIWB? A straight drop IWB located between 1:00 and 2:00 (or 10:00 to 11:00 if you are a lefty like me) can be very comfortable, especially with a J-frame. It will also be more accessible than a Smartcarry. I have never tried the Tactipac, but it looks to me like an AIWB holster with a built-in belt.

I often carry a Ruger LCR in a Fist K1b holster (has the advantage of near-infinite cant and height adjustment) located at 11:00. It conceals well and is so comfortable, you'd never remember its there.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I do not like IWB either. For J frames, OWB, I like the Crossbreed-style SnapSlide; good support, rides tight and conceals well. I bought a clone from a member here who makes them with a cant so the gun conceals even better:

Chiefs Holsters Photos by chiefjason | Photobucket

Blackhawk also makes a nice leather J frame holster, sort of a pancake but with one slot and one tunnel; very comfortable but said to sag away from the body after a few year's use. Find it on their website but buy it cheaper from a big box sport store.

Your best bet however, is a custom made pancake. These are great for my larger steel snubs. Lobo holsters makes my favorite:

Lobo Gun Leather - ENHANCED PANCAKE STYLE HOLSTER

Good luck, have fun.

Edit: check the Crossbreed seconds site:

http://crossbreedseconds.com/
    Last edited by CPO 15; December 11th, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Brain stone

Actually I have not used an IWB for the J-Frame so it might be a tad different. I have had a crossbreed supertuck, mini-tuck, and their velcro lined belt in the past with various pistols from a Kahr CM9 to a Walther PPS.

It wasn't actually uncomfortable but to say that it didn't work so well with my body type would be correct. Not to mention I have a 2 year old it seems like I spend most of my day in public stooping or bending over. It's not worth it to me to constantly worry if my shirt has slipped in behind the grip of my pistol, not to mention I don't have much butt down there I so I have to keep my belt ultra-tight and high to keep everything in place.

All suggestions are appreciated and it does seem like I would be better off going with something positioned in the front of my body, or something I can position anywhere, im just worried about how it will be when sitting.

In my head it kind of sounds like something with it's own support system, not attached to your pants, would be a lot more easy to conceal.

I've carried a J-frame revolver IWB strong-side, in a pocket holster, and in a fanny "carry" pack. All work fine, IMO, assuming the pros/cons work well with your training to use it that way. Whether those other ways are better or not will depend on how you value the mix of pros/cons with that method.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I said heck with it and just went on and ordered a SmartCarry last night. They all ready have the shipping info posted so hopefully I will get it soon! If it doesn't work I guess I have 60 days to try it out.

I'll post up my results...anxious to see if this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Kangaroo carry Kangaroo Carry
    I'm looking for a good holster to fit my Glock 30 and I like this idea but it doesn't seem like it would work to well for someone who wears t-shirts.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Got my smart carry today, it is pretty comfortable...especially while sitting. I don't think I would have much problem falling asleep wearing it, ill advised I'm sure.

I don't know if I will be able to get used to it "pushing" on a certain area of my body though. I think it has it's place for deep concealment, I may try to run with it as a mock appendix holster as the J-frame butt does not seem to really push on my gut that much.

The only area of the gun that can and will print is the bottom of the grip and it does in most of my pants I tried on, a T-shirt covers that pretty much. Gym shorts carry is indeed possible as that is what I am wearing as I type this.

I might look into a high rise OWB holster or an IWB appendix as well...or I may just give this some more time. It really has turned me away from carrying anywhere behind my hip bones though, no more having to worry about bending over to play with the toddler and a grip poking out.

Definitely happy I went with the smart carry over the FusionPac, I can now see where that would have limitations that this does not. Also has made me realize there is no way I could wear a belly band comfortably...I'm 6' 170lbs and there is no way anything across my stomach is comfortable.

So this will probably just go in my bag of tricks on how to carry a J-Frame. At least I finally got the firearm selection narrowed down to one.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Where do your wear your IWB holster? Have you tried AIWB? A straight drop IWB located between 1:00 and 2:00 (or 10:00 to 11:00 if you are a lefty like me) can be very comfortable, especially with a J-frame. It will also be more accessible than a Smartcarry. I have never tried the Tactipac, but it looks to me like an AIWB holster with a built-in belt.

I often carry a Ruger LCR in a Fist K1b holster (has the advantage of near-infinite cant and height adjustment) located at 11:00. It conceals well and is so comfortable, you'd never remember its there.
    My bad! It is a Fist #1KB (not K1b). Here is a link Untitled Document
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Here is a 649 carried in some tight jeans using a Desantis grip. I had a short sweatshirt on...for concealed carry, I use a long sleeve shirt with good tails, tails out and over the jeans. I find it comfortable sitting or standing:

Attached Images

I know you don't like IWB, but you may want to look into Remora or Sticky Holsters. I have both and find them very convenient when making quick trips out and about.

Links