Defensive Carry banner

holstered or vest?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  KBSR 
#1 ·
I am looking into holsters and how to carry. As I was looking into other holsters I had heard about concealment vest what are your thoughts
On either one good and bad. Which way do you prefer. I have had my cpl before but never really Carrie.
I will be carrying soon once I heritage back just trying to plan ahead a little. Thank you for your thoughts.
Kobster

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! If I am understanding correctly, you are asking our thoughts about about carrying inside the waistband and outside the waistband covered with a vest?

I very much prefer inside the waistband carry. A good holster can mitigate any problems with comfort or worries about retention, and it offers much more versatility as far as clothing options.

#6 ·
I have tried concealment vests. They hang funny because the weight of the gun pulls one side down. You can load up the other side with magazines, but they still don't seem to hang naturally.

#9 ·
True. 5.11 also makes some that I'm pretty sure has either a hole or a zipper inside the pocket that gives you access to your waistband holstered gun. 5.11 is expensive though

#10 ·
Just because its got a holster IN it, doesn't mean we have to BUY it. IMHO, that goes for jackets, vests, tactical bluejeans, break-away khaki slacks, tee-shirts, underwear, et al. Conventional IWB/OWB holsters get 95% (I guessed at that statistic) of the gun toting assignments because most of us have already made the mistake of seeing & buying the new-fangled junk that looks cool & DOESN'T WORK as well as a Milt Sparks or Galco. And yes, there are occasional, evolutionary exceptions like a Supertuck or Remora. Yet they're STILL HOLSTERS!

#11 ·
Best thing you could do for yourself is buy yourself a good quality holster, that is concealable under a light shirt. Gun vests and fanny packs scream "GUN" at me, and most knowledgeable folks. JMHO.

#12 ·
Best thing you could do for yourself is buy yourself a good quality holster...
A good quality holster without a good quality, dedicated GUN belt is like mounting alloy wheels & Pirelli racing tires...on a shopping cart. If you're gonna' be a bear, for God's sake be a GRIZZLY!

Reactions: KBSR
#13 ·
Carry your gun in a good holster, either IWB or OWB, with a good belt. Then use a shirt, jacket, or vest as a cover garment. I wear a vest quit frequently, because I like all the pockets for carrying "stuff", but I don't carry a gun in the vest. And contrary to a lot of comments you are likely to hear on the gun forums, I have yet to find a documented case of anyone getting "shot first" because they were wearing a vest. It may "scream" gun to someone with a concealed handgun license, but the average person doesn't have a clue and doesn't care! I wear a vest quit often and have yet to have anyone even give me a second look. A lot of people have "jumped on the bandwagon" and claim tactical vests let everyone "know" you are carrying a gun, and vests aren't "cool", and they don't want to be a Rambo-wanna-be, etc., etc. I, personally, don't care what other people think about how I dress. I am retired, so I no longer have to wear suits and ties, and spend 99.9% of my time in Levis (which I have worn since I was a kid in the 50s) or cargo pants. I wear what I want and don't care what others think. I suggest you wear whatever you want and whatever makes you comfortable! But DO use a holster and good belt! Just my .02.:image035:

Reactions: StevePVB
#15 ·
And since you are one of the "good guys", I really don't care if you know!:wink: The "sheep" are generally clueless and if the "bad guys" wonder, maybe they'll pick an easier target.:image035:

#18 ·
I thought everyone wore a dedicated gun belt. No? Damn, and ya'll all carry guns? LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.