Need some hand holding- want to carry IWB Condition 1 in a hybrid holster!

This is a discussion on Need some hand holding- want to carry IWB Condition 1 in a hybrid holster! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, folks. It's time I enter the 21st century! For over 20 years I've had a CCW permit and carried Condition 1. The only guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need some hand holding- want to carry IWB Condition 1 in a hybrid holster!

Alright, folks. It's time I enter the 21st century! For over 20 years I've had a CCW permit and carried Condition 1. The only guns I've ever carried were ones I could carry this way, including my Browning Hi-Power, HK USP, and Colt Commander. Most of the time I've worn either a Miami Classic or a Gun Runner "fanny pack." My problem is mental (er, that didn't come out right!). All of the holsters I've used in the past had a thumb break. Now it might be silly after carrying C1 for decades to be convinced that the little strip of leather between the hammer and the frame was really a safety, but it's like a security blanket. Never in all those years did the hammer over fall and get arrested on the thumb break, so obviously the problem is in my head.

So can anyone chime in that carries a BHP or 1911 in a Supertuck, Theis, King Tuck, etc? Thanks!
    ANGLICO likes this.

I have a full size 1911 Kimber in a Galco Summer Comfort on my side as I type this. It is the holster that I use most of the time, although when I am at the range I usually use a Galco Avenger OWB holster. Have been using the Sumer Comfort for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. It not a hybrid, but it is IWB and does not have a strap/thumbreak, etc. I've never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by JDE101; December 12th, 2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added more info
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I carried my 1911 for 5 years in a Garrity Incognito at 3:00 - always Condition 1. I haven't managed to shoot myself yet. Recently I stepped it up a notch, and now I carry a Glock at 12:00 IWB - also Condition 1. A quality gun won't just "go off". Keep the trigger protected, and take your time reholstering.

If you really aren't comfortable with the idea - just carry an unloaded gun around the house in your holster with the hammer cocked and safety off for a while. If nothing can get to the trigger - nothing is going to happen.

Austin

VIP Member
    Have been carrying a Micro-Compact 1911 for more than eight years in a Wild Billís Covert Carry open top holster. No strap, thumb break and no worries.

P1010187.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I can't help you with this,as my department requires some active retention on any holster, so I have to have it
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Been carrying a Kimber that way, every day for about 2 years now in a CBST. "Snaps" right into place and is a tight, secure fit while you're wearing it. It's never fallen out and is about as comfortable and forgettable as your wallet in your back pocket. It's at least worth giving it a try for sure but it's worked very well for me.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    There is nothing anyone on this board can write that will alleviate your fear/concern. The best thing you can try is to carry it unloaded around the house for a bit. You will see that your thumb safety holds and the hammer doesn't drop on its own.

Irrational fears are a pain. Good luck getting over yours.
    F350_6 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I have tried a few hybrids and the MTAC works the best for me. My preference is, however, a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro in leather.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The major difference between going from owb carry to iwb carry is the reholstering, especially when carrying condition 1. Negligent discharge or accidental discharge, whichever you want to call it,
    happen most of the time when reholstering in a IWB carry. The trigger gets caught on the shirt, holsters, belt, pants, whatever and goes off. There are ways to prevent this but mainly you need to practice taking your time and removing anything that could grap the trigger when you reholster.

I carry Springfield XDm's and with the grip safety I can just put my thumb on the back of the slide and no matter what grabs the trigger without my grip compressing the grip safety the trigger won't go off.
    Same with the 1911's. I love this feature.

I also use mostly Kydex holsters, which give good retention and a positive click into place. I know as long as there in that holster the chance of discharge isn't going to happen. I also keep me guns loaded
    and ready. I feel it keeps you sharp on handleing your pistol when you know it's always loaded. Plus, especially with 1911 style pistols most accidents seem to occur during the loading and cocking process before the safety is put on. So the less times you do this the better.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have been carrying for almost 4 years. For the first three, I almost exclusively carried my Kimber custom II in a crossbreed supertuck in condition 1. I never once had the hammer fall or thumb safety flick off inadvertantly. That is all the hand holding I can give you. My wife likes to keep me to herself.

Carry a Colt Combat Commander in a home made leather OWB holster with no other retention than the molded holster for years with no ND's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I carry my 1911 full size & 3 1/2 (in Condition 1) IWB in a MTAC and OWB in a D.M. Bullard Bodyguard. Never had a problem drawing or reholstering. The MTAC is height & cant adjustable.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I carry a Glock in a hybrid IWB.

Condition 1 requires a manual thumb safety. IMHO, the manual thumb safety is a clear, present, visible, audible "CLICK" that MORE than compensates for being able to...see the hammer without a strap. I carry a custom BHP (with ambi 1911-style thumb safety) in a Remora IWB with reinforced top. It's just to what you grow accustomed, 'cause once I feel/hear/see that upward "CLICK" I'm more comfortable/confident re-holstering my BHP than I am my GLOCK 19.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I use a Supertuck for my Kimber & Colts 1911 & my new fav. a leather Milt Sparks VM 2 IWB for my Browning Hi-Power always in condition one. Well almost always at first I had your same concerns so what I did was to carry cocked & locked with an empty chamber! Well after a few days carrying like that & the saftey never unlocking, I began condition one carry all the time & never looked back.

The 1911's grip saftey is a great comfort in that regaurd as is the smaller Hi-Power saftey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links