Which type of OWB conceals better, Raven type or Crossbreed Snapslide type?

This is a discussion on Which type of OWB conceals better, Raven type or Crossbreed Snapslide type? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about trying an OWB for my M&P 9c and have been trying to decide between the two types. Raven Concealment type: or Crossbreed Snapslide ...

Thread: Which type of OWB conceals better, Raven type or Crossbreed Snapslide type?

Which type of OWB conceals better, Raven type or Crossbreed Snapslide type?

Thinking about trying an OWB for my M&P 9c and have been trying to decide between the two types.

Raven Concealment type:

or

Crossbreed Snapslide type:

Anyone have opinions about one vs. the other?

2. Remove Ads

I have the snapslide style but all leather purchased from a site member (chiefjason) Do a search for him. I paid $35 or $40 that included shipping. Had it for about a year and do really like it.

Big plus for the chiefjason holster; I have both his and a CB Snapslide for J-frames and prefer the chief's as it provides a cant as well as better support for the gun.

In fairness to the OP, comparing the Raven to the Snapslide is apples to elevators. The all kydex model offers weapon protection and retention at the expense of high bulk and low comfort. The Snapslide relies on belt tension to secure the gun and its wide slots/leather backing offering comfort. For concealment, the lower bulk/footprint of the Snapslide would, I think, win.

The Raven with the Pancake Attachment will really conceal well.I know from experience.
    The pancake lets you pull the gun in very tight to the body.If you look at the picture of the attachment on the site,you will see how it does it.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Neither! I like my OWB holster to have a thumb break.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    In fairness to the OP, comparing the Raven to the Snapslide is apples to elevators.
    Yeah I realize the only thing they have in common is using kydex. Just not sure which of the two types "pulls it in more" and is less likely to have the grip lean outward.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    The Raven with the Pancake Attachment will really conceal well.I know from experience.
    The pancake lets you pull the gun in very tight to the body.If you look at the picture of the attachment on the site,you will see how it does it.
    They do look interesting, how is it with the standard loops?

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I've had a OWB Desantis with a thumb break, it adds too much to the slide making it harder to conceal, and being concealed I find the extra retention unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowpointt View Post
    I have the snapslide style but all leather purchased from a site member (chiefjason) Do a search for him. I paid $35 or $40 that included shipping. Had it for about a year and do really like it.
    His is actually what I was thinking about with the crossbreed "type". Just figured more people would know what I was referring to if I said the crossbreed name for it.

I have both types. They have the potential to conceal equally well. However, the "Crossbreed type" (an Old Faithful in my case) has a tendency for the gun butt to swing outward from the body. This can be corrected by applying a "wedge" to the back side of the leather at the bottom of the holster. I have found 1/2" thick to be about right. The all kydex holster does not exhibit this type of behavior.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Originally Posted by The Fish;
    "The Raven with the Pancake Attachment will really conceal well.I know from experience.
    The pancake lets you pull the gun in very tight to the body.If you look at the picture of the attachment on the site,you will see how it does it."

They do look interesting, how is it with the standard loops?

Vista; Not really good with standard loops which come with the holster.However,the pancake loops are not a lot extra.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

CJM
    I use a set of Raven Pancake loops on my homemade kydex holster and it is night and day the best OWB concealment holster I've ever used.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    1. He didn't ask about thumb breaks.

2. As already noted, thumb breaks hinder concealment, not aid in it.

Thanks guys. I can do the M&Pc 9 with full coverage of the muzzle in a hybrid now BTW. I'm moving away from the exposed muzzle on the sub compact and some compacts. The bottom remains open though so you can use a full size too. I'll shoot you a PM.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think it comes down to the gun your trying to conceal, not the holster that you are doing it with. Obviously a longer, larger gun would be tougher to hide. Below a certain barrel length, I guess that it really wouldn't matter.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Links