Holster DISLIKES

This is a discussion on Holster DISLIKES within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a RMA for my new Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur IWB holster. I'm sending it back because: 1. It makes the gun feel very ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Holster DISLIKES

I just got a RMA for my new Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur IWB holster. I'm sending it back because:

1. It makes the gun feel very heavy on my belt. I have a nice, leather 1.5" belt that's not quite a gun belt but should have been moderately adequate.
    2. The J clips themselves print through my jeans pocket. I can totally feel them if I try to reach into my back pocket for anything. This is when carrying at 8:00 - 8:30 position (left handed, just behind the hip).
    3. Retention was too strong. Couldn't draw without holding my holster with my other hand. This was with the retention screws loosened as much as they could be without falling out.

2. Remove Ads

I only use pancake style holsters made for me by a local custom maker. He uses premium bull hide outer and calf skin lining. He won't make an unlined holster.

I have found the best concealed holsters to be OWB pancake style that fits ON a quality belt.

I don't like Frankenstein looking holsters made of multiple materials and are large and ungainly.

I don't like most plastic( although for the money, the Fobus paddle holster is handy and works well).

I don't like cheap stuff. Period. If it's worth buying, it's worth paying for. Then you only have to buy once!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great advice guys. Every time I think someone hit the nail on the head, someone else says something that reminds me how much I would dislike that too. Keep it coming.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Crossbreed Super Tuck or "CBST", hated it... might as well have shoved a shoe in my waistband. Was not comfortable at all, sucked to put on/take off too...
    Amen.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I don't like Pina Coladas OR getting caught in the rain!

Oh, wrong rant (very nice by the way kb2wji... sounded like a Seinfeld episode)
    You're cruel, you are! I hate that song, "Pina Coladas" or "Escape" or whatever it is. Who was the (non)artist who did that song? He/they ought to be whipped! I try to forget it ever occurred. Now the silly thing will be rattling around in my head for the rest of the day. And why? Because of you, iguanadon!

I'm going to have to go and crank some Allman Brothers, Creedence, or Stevie Ray Vaughn to clear my head. Arrrgh...!!!

Only kidding.

I love leather holsters. Don't much care for any other material but have a few non-leather holsters on hand. Cheap holsters are generally unsatisfactory. Don't like ankle holsters but then I've not explored all the designs.
    stancehold and Sarge65 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

• I dislike any Fobus Holster
    • I do not like single clip IWB holsters (they are not stable enough and tend to carry as close as double clip models
    • I dislike paddle holsters, they all stick out too far to conceal

I don't like the "tunderwear" type of holster, there is something inherently uncomfortable about having a pistol pointed at your boys.

Sponsor
    I dislike holsters with so much leather/nylon/kydex that you can't get a full shooting grip before you draw. Many people will draw from such a holster by pulling the gun out partially with the fingers THEN placing the thumb into a proper position or even worse is putting your thumb over the rear of the slide to attempt to draw. Picture from an advertisement of a leading manufacturer.

improper draw.jpg

I'm not of fan of cheap IWB holsters with plastic clips. They moved around too much for my liking and if drawn quickly the holster would come out with the gun. A good leather holster with a metal clip(s) works great for me!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You're cruel, you are! I hate that song, "Pina Coladas" or "Escape" or whatever it is. Who was the (non)artist who did that song?....
    Rupert Holmes wrote Escape (The Pina Colada Song). Jimmy Buffett does a cover of it in his shows.

I second, or third, or fourth, an SOB holster. NOT comfortable while driving or sitting, horrible if you fall on it. In fact I can't think of a situation where it would be an advantage.

VIP Member
    I don't like the plastic holsters that have a release button. gun rattles when you move
    I don't like one size fit all any
    I don't like holsters with no retention

( I 'm not a negative person but all the "don't like" makes me seam grumpy )

I don't like the RFT(Reinforced Top) Remora holsters. They print way too much. I guess on that subject, I also don't like Remora's regular clipless because I can't reholster with one hand.
    I also don't like the fact my gut doesn't allow appendix carry.
    aus71383 and nerdyvirgin like this.

I dislike the fact that too many holster makers assume that everyone is going to carry behind the hip (15 degree or more cant). I like to carry around 10:00 (lefty) and prefer zero cant.
    SL1ckOne likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Tried the Remora once and tossed it in the "box." For pocket carry, I stick with my two Mika's leather holsters: well made, very reasonable, and the holster stays put when the gun is drawn. A great job by a former LEO.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    ( I 'm not a negative person but all the "don't like" makes me seam grumpy )
    You're doin fine. It's what I asked for anyway.

I'm looking at a SHTF formed IWB holster for my SW 5906. Hope it's at least a little comfortable. Anyone know of custom holster makers in the southern Illinois area?
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links