Holster DISLIKES - Page 3

Holster DISLIKES

This is a discussion on Holster DISLIKES within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dislike thumb break holsters. I have tried several over the years and really just don't care for them...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Holster DISLIKES

I dislike thumb break holsters. I have tried several over the years and really just don't care for them

Another dislike for SOtB holsters: The already listed reasons plus (maybe I missed it) the Bianchi I bought for my 229 lets the grip feel very "floppy" back there. I thought it would be a good way to conceal with female curves but I think I have worn it 5 times or less.

CJM
    Holster dislikes, well let's see here.

1. The BLACKHAWK! Derpa
    2. Anything in the BLACKHAWK! catalog
    3. Thumb breaks, or any other retention mechanism
    4. Galco holsters, not because of the quality or price, but because of the god forbidden amount of forward cant they use.
    5. Holsters with single belt attachment points
    6. Holsters with no belt attachment points
    7. Nylon holsters
    8. Generic fit holsters(a holster made to fit many guns will fit none of them very well)
    9. Paddle holsters
    10. Leather/hide from exotic species. No I'm not a member of PETA, ASPCA, or the Humane Society and I do not find it the slightest bit inappropriate or cruel, I just don't get it. I know Unicorn and baby Seal trim makes for a beautiful holster, but I couldn't justify the added cost for it knowing it will always be covered up.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Holster dislikes, well let's see
    4. Galco holsters, not because of the quality or price, but because of the god forbidden amount of forward cant they use.
    I only have one Galco , a Galco King Tuk and the forward cant is adjustable and provides the most comfort of any of my holsters.
    Happypuppy likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I only have one Galco , a Galco King Tuk and the forward cant is adjustable and provides the most comfort of any of my holsters.
    Well good for you! I have no interest in IWB holsters, and my experience with the King Tuk from working in a gun store showed me that the molding of the kydex was very inconsistent. You could pull multiple King Tuks off the shelf for the same gun, and have none of them fit properly. Most often the sight channel was the culprit, but customers would take a pass when they realized they would have to spend upwards of $60 on a holster that required them to rework it with a hair dryer when they got home. We also had many customers return them because after a couple weeks of wear, the two layers of really cheap leather would start separating because Galco stopped sewing them at the edges in favor of bonding them together with some type of contact adhesive. I wouldn't own a King Tuk if they were half the price they are. There are better options out there for the same or less money.

I have owned the FLETCH, Cop 3 Slot, and the Combat Master, arguably 3 of their most popular OWB holsters, and the amount of forward cant is ridiculous for drawing the gun when worn in the 3 O'clock position.

- Ultra-high ride holsters. Maybe when I was a lot younger I might have had the flexibility to use one of these, but I think my basic build is incompatible with these. I can easily get my thumb as high as the third rib from the bottom, but if the butt of the gun is much higher, I may as well carry it in a box.

- IWB holsters that collapse flat when the gun is drawn, and any holster that won't allow one-handed reholstering (pocket holsters excluded).

- Metal clips on holsters that chew up my leather belts.

- Retention holsters that put the release anywhere close to the trigger guard (e.g., Serpa).

- Horizontal shoulder holsters worn by the person in front of me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    You're doin fine. It's what I asked for anyway.

I'm looking at a SHTF formed IWB holster for my SW 5906. Hope it's at least a little comfortable. Anyone know of custom holster makers in the southern Illinois area?
    Don't forget that they have a 30 day $$ back return

VIP Member
    Plastic and the one size fits none nylon holsters with the Velcro retention straps, I stick with mainly leather holsters boned to properly retain the firearm they are made for.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't like cheap one size fits many holsters.
    Or kydex or plastic IWB holsters. Makes me sweat way too much.
    Or holsters that don't attach to my belt. I have enough trouble keeping my pants up. If they fall down where's the gun going?
    Or holsters with a thumb break.
    Or high ride holsters. I'm not built for high ride.
    Or thunderwear holsters. I have one and got poked really hard in the nether regions when getting in my car. Have you heard an adult male scream? Got out of the car, took it off and it's been in the box ever since.
    Or belly bags.

I'm gonna stop now. I feel like I'm starting to get angry. Yes, I just pulled out the holster box. Plenty of stuff there that I won't use!
    Question Everything!

IWB holsters that have oversized, highly noticeable, non-adjustable, non-removable metal clips that scratch my belts and dig into furniture and car seats. It's sad when the maker ruins an otherwise well-designed holster by using a junky clip.

Also, bulky IWB holsters with hard edges. Comfort is NOT irrelevant, despite that cliche' we've all heard!
    Last edited by MrsHB; December 30th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I don't like holster that collapse when you remove the gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I dislike holsters that don't allow me to pick the cant by having multiple holes for belt loop retainers.
    Loud holsters (STD until broken in) that squeak when walking.
    As mentioned numerous times, the Uncle Mikes and other big box store holsters.
    Kydex with too sharp of angles that are guaranteed to rub a hole in my jeans unless I take a heat gun to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I don't like Pina Coladas OR getting caught in the rain!

Oh, wrong rant (very nice by the way kb2wji... sounded like a Seinfeld episode)
    I'll take yours (the Pina Colada, not the rain)

I have enough sense not to buy junk, gimmicks, or otherwise pieces of BS holsters. So, I dont have anything to complain about or dislike.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Each type of concealed carry gun holsters Has different like & Dislike.

Depending on a figure of variables, each type of concealed carry has different like and unlike.

1) Size of the weapon - The less important the largely size of the weapon, the easier it will be to conceal. Clean and easy. I'm not saying that larger framed handguns can't be concealed; I'm just saying that it becomes a further hard duty.
    2) Body type - For a few men, any jacket extended enough to hide a holster is sufficient.
    3) Climate

There are many reasons to think about both concealed carry and style in the same picture.
    • Step 1: Choose Your Weapon
    • Step 2: Choose Your Method of Carry
    • Step 3: Choose Your Outfit
    • Step 4: Talk to Your Tailor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links