Heavy Woman Carry Options

This is a discussion on Heavy Woman Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've done quite a bit of searching and since I haven't found a solution I like I'm afraid there might not be one. I am ...

I've done quite a bit of searching and since I haven't found a solution I like I'm afraid there might not be one. I am a large woman and am looking at carry options. My problem is that I want to be consistent, I don't want to have to think about where I'm carrying that particular day. I don't like carrying a purse and often avoid it if possible so purse carry isn't an option. Plus if I'm robbed, I'm just giving up my purse and trying to escape without having to draw, if possible...but of course I don't want to give away my firearm in my purse if I do still need to defend myself. I hardly ever wear shorts so considered ankle holster but I do wear capris and in certain situations I think having to bend over to draw will be difficult. I'm thinking IWB is the best option, HOWEVER, I have a lot of dress pants which don't have belt loops and can't find a non-belt carry option I'm comfortable with. I've looked into the compression shorts but I'm afraid that the largest size I've found will not fit me. Are there any options that I've overlooked??? I suppose that the days I wear dress pants are typically work days in which I can't carry anyway so I may just have to accept the fact that when I wear those dress pants, I will not be carrying.

Have you looked into a belly band holster? Just google it and plenty of sites that sell them will come up. Many people (both men and women of all shapes) wear them comfortably. It will allow you to carry and still wear dress pants without a belt. Also, you can position your gun wherever you need it.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    You did not say what type of weapon and you did not mention what is called a belly band holster. I have a friend she is 6foot and I wont mention weight and thats what she uses for her 1911 38 super, she delt with the public 5 days a week and no one new

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

I would also suggest a belly band. The beauty of them is you can place it as high or low as you'd like, and you can rotate where the gun is placed (behind/forward/at hip, etc.). The Galco brand I linked has dedicated leather gun "pockets" that are bit more secure than some other elastic only types, and Galco has a fairly good range of waist sizes available.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    You didn't say what size gun you will be carrying and that can make a difference. Without that info my first thought is Smartcarry or a belly band. If you are carrying a small gun pocket carry might also be an option. As always you will have to dress around the gun and you might have to make some wardrobe modifications if you are serious about carrying.

The down side to all these methods of carry is reholstering will be slow and require both hands.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

If you frequently wear pants or skirts without a belt, then this is a good option for smaller or midsize firearms.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Hi Bling,
    I struggle with finding the right carry option for my shape, too.

For my small gun, I like the Remora because it will stay in the waistband of any pair of pants that are not extremely loose. I've worn it with dress pants and sweat pants. I wouldn't jump around like that, but it stayed in place while doing house chores in sweats.

For running, I use a belly band as suggested. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's discreet and secure.

For my bigger pistol I am completely re-evaluating everything so I will be interested to read the responses here. I have been carrying it IWB, but it is large enough that I wear a shirt to cover the bulge in the side of my jeans, so if I'm doing that why bother with IWB at all? So now I'm looking at paddles, slides, shoulder rigs etc.

There is a youtube channel (falia-something?) with lots of holster demonstrations but her body type is different from mine.

I do not like the flashbang. I don't want even my small pistol pulling down on my bra.

The Well Armed Woman has an article on carrying for curvy women.
    Concealed Carry For Larger Women

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links