What Holster for Appendix Carry? - Page 2

What Holster for Appendix Carry?

This is a discussion on What Holster for Appendix Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the JM Custom AIWB! I think I will wait until I get my Glock 19 for that and just go with a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What Holster for Appendix Carry?

I really like the JM Custom AIWB! I think I will wait until I get my Glock 19 for that and just go with a High Noon Mr. Softy for now. I have had a Bare Asset before for my Ruger SP101 and loved it. I am going to be getting a new G19 here soon and using the Sig for what I really bought it for. A beater gun to stay in my hiking pack.

I have heard that Rob Pincus likes appendix carry and favors a Glock 19. I always wondered what kind of holster he prefers for appendix carry.

aus71383, I usually carry the Sig in a Fobus Paddle holster, or an Old Faithful hybrid like a CrossBreed.

The Mr. Softy looks like it carries very low - should help with concealment, and slow down your draw. Also looks like it doesn't do anything to aid concealment - just a pouch with a clip more or less. The JM looks like a solid design - you can see in the photo on the website that the snap/loop on the slide is shorter than the snap/loop closer to the grip - this helps give the belt something to push against to angle the butt of the gun into you. If you have a big chest, small waist, and you wear loose shirts - any holster will work for AIWB. If you aren't, the type of pants you wear, how high you wear them, and the design of the holster come into play more.

Austin

What Holster for Appendix Carry?

The Highnoon "Mr. Softy" is the most concealable holster I have ever worn.

That low ride makes the butt of the pistol blend into the pants line, but you do sacrifice some draw speed for it.

I haven't done much more than try on the new Cane & Derby PIC, but it looks like it will print "a little" more just because it rides higher.

I'll post pics and a review once I've put it through the motions.

Cool

I carry a Glock 23 or 36 in a High Noon Public Secret at 2 O'Clock AIWB.

Works fine for me and has for over 4 years now.

Quality leather, slide guard, sight channel and tension screw.

A quality belt is also a must.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    aus71383 likes this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The Fricke Archangel is great I also use the Galco J hooks for many of my smaller guns.
    +1 on the Fricke Archangel. The very best IMHO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Have and love the highnoon mr. softy. Conceals so well, and is very thin. Almost like not having the gun in a holster. ONLY thing I don't like is the oversized clip. Just sticks out from the bottom of my belt, kinda is noticable. And it does sit very low, doesn't slow the draw in my opinon but it is something I had to practice and learn to get right.

I als have a garrett industries silent thunder which is pretty nice, comfortable + concealing as well. But it is a little more bulky, but the best thing is, it is tuck-able. I couldn't believe how well this holster actually conceals the gun with a tucked shirt. And the clips on this holster are perfect, the just completly dissappear on the belt.

But I think the mr. softy ruined me for comfort and concealment, been thinking about trying to swap out the clip on the mr.softy, possibly even make IT tuck-able, to make it the best of both worlds.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I really like the holster designs listed but I am just not comfortable spending that much on something that doesn't cost that much to make. I am thinking about getting a FIST Inc. K3 Kydex holster with a straight up cant. Its only $44.95. I have had one for 4 O'clock carry and loved it. I emailed them to see if it can be made with a sweat shield. If not, I guess I will cough up the money for the JM Custom AIWB.

_zl___K3_KYDEX_J_4f10d74641daa_90x90.jpg

I just saw it can be made with a sweat shield for an additional $10. So for $54.95, I can get what I need. I will order the FIST next Friday and as soon as I get it in, I will post a full review with lots of pics.

Why get a holster that is not made specifically for appendix carry? The holster you want has no grip tucking ability. No bulge at the bottom to push the slide into the stomach for better concealment and push the gun mussel away from your important features while re-holstering. No ability to insert the gun backwards into the holster to be able to do a one handed reload if a arm is disabled.

Not all straight cant IWB holsters are good Appendix carry holsters. Hey, you do what you want to..................it's your money.
    aus71383 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Why get a holster that is not made specifically for appendix carry? The holster you want has no grip tucking ability. No bulge at the bottom to push the slide into the stomach for better concealment and push the gun mussel away from your important features while re-holstering. No ability to insert the gun backwards into the holster to be able to do a one handed reload if a arm is disabled.

Not all straight cant IWB holsters are good Appendix carry holsters. Hey, you do what you want to..................it's your money.
    Not to mention, all the weight of the gun will be resting on your pants, instead of your belt! Terrible design....

Austin

I looked up The Keeper. I really like it, but can't seem to find where to order it.

Ok, nevermind. I am not spending $150 + shipping. I can easily have the FIST K3 made with leather belt loops and then place velcro on the back with a foam wedge like the Keeper for 1/3 the cost. You can't call something a terrible design if it is made to order. They will make it just like one of the others for a fraction of the cost. Some people even prefer a cheap nylon holster and for some reason it works for them. To each his own and as I said, I had a FIST in the past and absolutely loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    +1 on the Fricke Archangel. The very best IMHO
    Ditto.

I honestly like the Archangel and would pay for the design (with some pain in my wallet) but they don't make one to fit my Sig SP2022. I would have to wait until I get another Glock 19. That is one of the hardest things trying to find a holster. Some of the best don't have my gun on their gun fit list.

In my mind, there is no reason for a inexperienced appendix carrier to get a Keeper right off the bat. Especially when they don't even know that AWIB will actually work for them, and will be their main mode of carry. A lot of development (over a year iirc) went into the Keeper with feedback from a lot of users on the prototypes that were in use.

JM Custom Kydex makes one for the SIG 2022. It has the modern features that make concealment better, and is less expensive than the Archangel. You can get it with the large Kydex loop or two individual Pull-the-Dot loops. I use two of his AIWB holsters both made for G17. My backup holster is a Archangel.

You absolutely do not want to get a AIWB that does not have a reinforced mouth opening, unless you are never going to train drawing and re-holstering. Which is a bad idea too. You want the mouth of the holster to remain open so during your re-holster your weak hand can be used to totally clear your cover garment while you slowly insert the gun back into the holster making sure nothing interferes with the gun's trigger.
    aus71383 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links