Defensive Carry banner

Just switched my CTAC from C-Clips to Standard Clips

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jay 
#1 ·
I didn't know what I was missing. When I first ordered my CTAC, I decided to try out the C-clips, because their standard clips looked huge. They worked, and the holster was always steady, but the tops of the clips sometimes slipped off of the belt or wouldn't quite sit right. Not too big of a deal, but it bugged me.

So I finally said "screw it" and ordered a set of standard clips. I should have done this to start with. Comp-Tac has seriously redesigned them since the pictures on their website were taken. They're small, unobtrusive, sit flush, and grab my belt perfectly. I did notice that they're a little bit shorter than my C-clips, but nothing drastic.

Anyway, advice to anyone ordering a CTAC - Get the standard clips and be done with it. Nobody will notice them, I promise.

#5 ·
Good to know, because I hate my C-clips. My front clips slips constantly off my belt. Not to the point off falling off, but its just hanging on there while the back is steady.

I like the CTAC, but I am not in love with it. Down the line I may just go with a custom leather holster.

#6 ·
That's exactly what my clips were doing. Try the standard clips before switching holsters. It really is night and day.

#7 ·
thanks for the heads up. . .

i was lookin to order C clips but now I don't think I will be puttin that order in. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I love it. I bout it off of Panthera Tigris. The transaction was great and the holster was in tip top shape. :banana: I will put some pics up as soon as my camera is fixed.

#8 ·
I have c-clips on my C-Tacs for G21 and G27. No problems with the c-clips, but the smaller 27 holster is much more comfortable that the 21 holster. I am finding limits to how much plastic I can stuff in my pants, even though I did buy several with a larger waist size.

I cover my Wilderness belt and C-tac with shirt-tail, so covertness of the clips is not a factor for me. Maybe I will try the other style of clips.

#9 ·
I have c-clips on my C-Tacs for G21 and G27. No problems with the c-clips, but the smaller 27 holster is much more comfortable that the 21 holster. I am finding limits to how much plastic I can stuff in my pants, even though I did buy several with a larger waist size.
well, if you had an actual metal gun, that would cut down the amount of plastic in your pants, now wouldn't it. :tongue: :wink:
Just kidding. My gun's half plastic too. :blink:

#10 ·
Right you are, Bob!

Although I was thinking about the plastic holster, I acknowledge that I left an opening for your excellent joke. :smile:

I do like Glocks, but my reasons for liking them do not include plastic chauvinism. I am willing to consider alternatives, but I do want plenty of capacity and something similar to the "safe action" system, with no external safeties, decocking levers, etc.

#11 ·
lol. "plastic chauvinism." I like that. Seems like most good compact guns now are moving toward the plastic frame with metal slide approach. I think SigSaur and S&W are the only two that pop into my mind who still use metal frames.

#12 ·
I just got my C-tac the other day with standard clips. I was thinking about getting some c clips someday, just wondering what you guys had for belts. I'm sure they are designed for a true gun belt. But if you are having this "slip off" problem and have a nice belt then i might not get some.

#13 ·
I was using a 1.5" double layer bullhide gunbelt from TheBeltMan.net (which I very highly recommend, btw).

The problem with the C-clips is that the clips are not free to rotate with respect to their mounts. At the point on my hip directly in front of the holster, my skin lies along one plane and the belt lies along another, because the belt goes around the gun, whereas my skin does not. The base of the C-clips lay naturally against my hip, forcing the actual clip to lie off-plane relative to the belt.

Unfortunately, while the standard clips fix the problem of belt retention, I've found that they create the reverse problem. The clip is forced to lie on-plane with the belt, and thus its base is not flat against my hip, and tends to dig in slightly with its edge. This is eased quite a bit by the leather pad, but it's still annoying to have a red spot on my leg every time I wear it.

I've been considering trying to heat and twist my standard clips to see if this can be fixed. It seems to me that even a slight twist, especially on the front clip (though the rear one suffers the same problem) would solve the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.