Need advice from the all gut, no butt crowd. Bikers, too.

This is a discussion on Need advice from the all gut, no butt crowd. Bikers, too. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just getting into concealed carry and I need some advice. I want to find a holster that will be comfortable but more importantly I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need advice from the all gut, no butt crowd. Bikers, too.

Just getting into concealed carry and I need some advice. I want to find a holster that will be comfortable but more importantly I need to find something that won't have my pants falling to my knees. I'm going to likely be carrying a Springfield XD or an RIA 1911 and I'm looking at all the holster options. I'm a big guy which prevents its own problems and one is that I'm one of those guys that looks like a frog stood up. Also, I'm a biker. I spend a lot of time on two wheels and I'd rather not have my gun out there for the world to see. So many people recommend IWB, particularly the Supertuck, and it's definitely an option but of course that means buying different pants. I'm also not sure it'd be that comfortable, I think the gun would be poking me in my tubby bits at 9:00 (I'm a lefty), and it'd be exposed at 7:00 if I'm on the chopper. Maybe a shoulder holster would be the way to go?

Best holster for riding in our area is a shoulder holster. Wear over a tee shirt, then with a cover shirt or vest...works great.
    mprp likes this.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I weigh about 300. I havent started carrying outside yet but I found what works for me is a leather iwb above my back pants pocket just a little on the side. Also I found a no buckle belt thats really comfortable. The belt was the best thing i did
    rugergunner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Agree if an IWB isnt going to work for you a shoulder holster may be an option. I myself go with a small gun TCP738 or the bodyguard or the j-frame IWB when I'm on my bike, it's too hot in the summer for me to wear a vest, so T-shirt and jeans on those hot day bike rides.

Even more important than a good holster is a good belt. Get a dedicated gun belt first. Buy the holster that fits it. Good support will make a heavy gun feel light.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Got the belt covered. I wear a 5.11 Operator - I have that awesome nickel allergy going on and I tolerate the stainless buckle a lot better. I wear a vest even during the summer when I'm on the bike so a shoulder rig could work. Of course, under a button-down it could work too. Not sure how that'd go over at the range, though. A lot of firing ranges don't allow them for safety reasons. I don't know for sure that IWB wouldn't work but I'm not sold on it, either. I've been looking through the pic thread to see what others do, too.

I'm a double extra large petit myself, and I ride a Harley Davidson more that I drive my Chevy Truck. I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor .45ACP in a Desantis Speed Scabbard in the warmer weather, and in an old Jackass (now Galco Leather) Miami Classic shoulder holster in the colder weather, particularly when I'm wearing the dead cow. One caution though, if you draw the gun while rolling on two wheels, it's a ****** to re-holster with one hand. LOL Don't ask how I know. LOL

I also carry a Kimber Solo Carry in my right front pocket all the time, so if I feel the need to shed the larger pistol and jacket, I'll still be armed.

Whatever you decide on, good luck. Ride safe/be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Thompson View Post
    Maybe a shoulder holster would be the way to go?
    If your clothing choices allow for simple covering of a shoulder-holstered weapon, then by all means consider it. Weather doesn't always permit comfortably wearing a jacket or other covering garment. But then, you're not in Yuma, AZ, so very likely with minor clothing adjustments you could make this the perfect mode of carry.

IWB/OWB is going to require positioning that'll allow for seated concealment, seated draw and avoidance of "poking your tubby bits." I'd suggest a cross-draw holster might be suitable, again depending on your clothing choices. Whichever you choose depends on your body shape, clothing and lifestyle (ie, sitting while riding, bending, walking, having clothing flapping in the breeze while riding, etc). Depends on what you find most suits you.

I'd look into shoulder carry, clothing allowing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I'm a double extra large petit myself, and I ride a Harley Davidson more that I drive my Chevy Truck. I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor .45ACP in a Desantis Speed Scabbard in the warmer weather, and in an old Jackass (now Galco Leather) Miami Classic shoulder holster in the colder weather, particularly when I'm wearing the dead cow. One caution though, if you draw the gun while rolling on two wheels, it's a ****** to re-holster with one hand. LOL Don't ask how I know. LOL

I also carry a Kimber Solo Carry in my right front pocket all the time, so if I feel the need to shed the larger pistol and jacket, I'll still be armed.

Whatever you decide on, good luck. Ride safe/be safe.
    The OWB, do you have issues with it showing when you're sitting? That's my biggest worry about carrying on the hip. There's no law in Iowa against open carry but it's not something people are accustomed to so it'd attract attention. I don't worry about a print, just the all-out exposure.

And thanks for the responses, guys. It's a big help.

I'm a big guy too...and I ride. I usually CC with a IWB MTAC @ 4:30 (M&P40C or Kimber SIS Ultra) on a Beltman tapered gunbelt. In cooler weather, I use a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Shoulder harness (using a serpa holster) under a vest or jacket. I like the CQC because I can change the holster to whichever gun I want to carry.

For OWB, I use a DM Bullard Bodyguard. With its forward cant, It keeps the weapon from digging into my love handles.
    Last edited by DaGunny; December 19th, 2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: OWB Info
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Thompson View Post
    The OWB, do you have issues with it showing when you're sitting? That's my biggest worry about carrying on the hip. There's no law in Iowa against open carry but it's not something people are accustomed to so it'd attract attention. I don't worry about a print, just the all-out exposure.
    I've never had a problem with it showing. But mind you, I've been carrying for over 35 years, so I've become accustomed to it being there, and dressing right to hide it. A tee shirt tucked in, with a sleeveless rally shirt or Harley shirt that's a size too big, and you're good to go. With the shoulder holster, I bought a black harness for a brown holster system, and just changed out the harness. A black holster strap is harder to see, against a black tee shirt, then a brown one is. When wearing a leather vest only over it, the strap on my shoulders sometimes shows if I'm not careful. What I like to do is wear a fleece vest over the shoulder holster, and it clings better, to cover the straps. Good luck.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I've wondered about a shoulder rig for the bike, too. I'm kind of a chicken so in the summer I wear a mesh coat with armor, and kevlar pants. I rented a Fat Boy in Hawaii a couple of years ago and rode in a tank top and felt absolutely nekkid.

I have a different problem with the draw than you guys do though. I think it would need some practice before I actually carried that way. It's a bit awkward for me.

Administrator
    If you have a "frog stood up" body type then you are going to have tough time keeping that 1911 where it is supposed to stay on a bike unless your belt is cinched super tight.

Absolutely I would go with a shoulder rig and pick one with nice wide harness straps over the shoulders.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I am your body double. Belt drag will always happen but it can be minimized.

Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore

Or a "belly band" worn around the chest, with the gun situated in the armpit/manboob area. Make sure you get one with a retention system as I have had to fish my gun out of my shirt a couple times after bending over.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Suspenders could probaby do me some good. I've actually read quite a few threads here and there about the Perry suspenders being worn by folks in the concealed carry community. Seems it'd be pretty easy to put em on under a t-shirt and let them do the work, and even if they print that's less likely to draw attention than the print of a shoulder holster. I used to wear duty suspenders when I worked armed security and they did a fantastic job of holding my duty rig up, never had to adjust things. I don't know why I hadn't thought about using suspenders in this application.

I remember someone saying Walmart had Dickies-licensed Perry suspenders at one point. Perhaps I'll stop to see if the local store store has them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links