Richie VSS-S OWB holster

Richie VSS-S OWB holster

This is a discussion on Richie VSS-S OWB holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm still torn on buying this holster for my 5"1911. Seller said he would ship it me for $90. That's a great deal. Should ...

Thread: Richie VSS-S OWB holster

Richie VSS-S OWB holster

Hi,
    I'm still torn on buying this holster for my 5"1911. Seller said he would ship it me for $90. That's a great deal. Should I go for it?? Again, I want something that rides nice and tight which I can draw quickly from and will conceal reasonably. He does not have the lightning version. I never wore a zero cant before except for my duty holster. Not sure of how it would feel placing it just "in front" of my hip and how much that would hurt concealing. I'm 5'9, 180lbs, athletic build. Thanks guys.

http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catal...ith-snap-vss-s
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Looks to be nicely made, but personally I would shy away from the straight vertical carry unless cross-draw. The appendix carry has its attractions, until you sit and realise you'd live only minutes after an a/d because of the biology of the upper thigh.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Looks to be nicely made, but personally I would shy away from the straight vertical carry unless cross-draw. The appendix carry has its attractions, until you sit and realise you'd live only minutes after an a/d because of the biology of the upper thigh.
    Thanks, but I would be wearing it at 3 O'Clock or cross-draw in the car at 9 o'clock.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

I bought a Richie holster once. Turns out it was far too tight to be able to insert my Dan Wesson Commander.

Called and spoke to someone at Ritchie and was told to try the plastic bag technique to stretch the holster. Tried but didn't work.

Got fed up with holster and sold it for nearly $70 loss.

I'm going to stick with Alessi or Milt Sparks from now on.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LSCurrier View Post
    I bought a Richie holster once. Turns out it was far too tight to be able to insert my Dan Wesson Commander.

Called and spoke to someone at Ritchie and was told to try the plastic bag technique to stretch the holster. Tried but didn't work.

Got fed up with holster and sold it for nearly $70 loss.

I'm going to stick with Alessi or Milt Sparks from now on.

Luke
    Sorry to hear that. I don't think I will have a problem since my Wilson CQB has the extra dehorning option.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Thanks, but I would be wearing it at 3 O'Clock or cross-draw in the car at 9 o'clock.
    Ah. But what you said was, "Not sure of how it would feel placing it just "in front" of my hip and how much that would hurt concealing"; but "just in front of the (pelvis, that's not your hip) is not 3 o'clock, but rather 2 o'clock at least, so it was easy for me to be confused by your post.

But the good news is that you know better, and will avoid appendix. That's all I care about, this is not a contest.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    Ah. But what you said was, "Not sure of how it would feel placing it just "in front" of my hip and how much that would hurt concealing"; but "just in front of the (pelvis, that's not your hip) is not 3 o'clock, but rather 2 o'clock at least, so it was easy for me to be confused by your post.

But the good news is that you know better, and will avoid appendix. That's all I care about, this is not a contest.
    Yep, not carrying appendix or small of back were two of the first things I was taught at the academy. Although I know plenty of LE that carry their small gun that way. I did mean at the hip. Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Yep, not carrying appendix or small of back were two of the first things I was taught at the academy. Although I know plenty of LE that carry their small gun that way. I did mean at the hip. Thanks
    Unless you're a gunslinger, one doesn't carry a holster for concealment either in front of or behind the hip. Instead, for concealment we wear it ahead or behind the upper iliac crest of the pelvis, at the waistline. Unless it's a shoulder holster. Biology 101:

pelvislateral.jpg

If one wanted to argue that in the vertical plane he/she carries relative to the hip, as you can see from the drawing, the only "clocking" ahead of the hip is 2:00, 1:00, and 12:00; and 3:00 is behind the hip. Therefore, when you say that you're carrying "ahead of the hip", then you are carrying in the appendix position.

The misconception of where the "hip" is is common, and worth clearing up in a forum such as this one.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Links