Plain clothes LE officer carry?

This is a discussion on Plain clothes LE officer carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of being placed in a plain clothes LE position. I am looking for OWB holster suggestions that i can carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Plain clothes LE officer carry?

Plain clothes LE officer carry?

I am in the process of being placed in a plain clothes LE position. I am looking for OWB holster suggestions that i can carry for edc as well as with armor on for tactical operations etc. I like the idea of one holster for all uses and would like to avoid buying a duty belt for a safariland or a drop leg rig. I have seen a lot of leather holsters out there from guys in my agency but they're all pretty old and Im wondering if kydex would be a better option. I understand there are a lot of holsters out there but im assuming there are some that are more durable as well as better for this particular situation. I will be carrying a p229 most likely unless i buy my own in the future which will most likely be a g23. thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What level retention are you required to use?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Welcome to the forum!

Serpa makes the quick disconnect system. It's not very concealable, but works great for transition of one weapon to multiple uses. You twist-off the holster to attach to other, already mounted options. It's a great way to move that Sig from a belt holster to a thigh rig, or even to a MOLLE vest.

Product Search - BLACKHAWK! (just a quick search, but theres a ton of info out there)

Issue is a thumb break at the academy but from that point out theres really no regulation per say. People use thumb breaks, serpas, and open tops. I notice a lot of Alessi cqc-s type holsters.

Prior to 9-11 I worked for the U.S. Customs Service, Office of Investigations, in a supervisory capacity in Arizona. We found that it was possible to draw a firearm with your level II or III vest on, but almost impossible to reholster with one hand, using any type of belt holster. Possible perhaps, but troublesome. This was due to the length of the body armor. For this reason we went to Safariland thigh holsters for all our Special Agents. Everyone was issued the holster, double mag pouch and belt, and we all kept them in our vehicles, for search warrants, etc...

Suppose it depends on the brand/style of vest you go with.

Good luck & be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Take a look here and see if they offer something you might like: Edge Works

I used a Gcode as a LEO on a protection detail for about 8 years I think. Their equipment is good to go with lots of mounts and ways to move one holster to several modes of carry.

I carried small of the back to the right side. That way, in certain situations I could open my jacket, etc. and they saw nothing, and didn't wear anything different than anyone else. Otherwise, any IWB holster will work if you are comfortable with it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

When you say EDC do you mean on duty or off duty. A holster that is good for wearing a ballistic vest with is not going to conceal very well for EDC off duty. If you are referring to using the holster for plain clothes open carry and duty carry with a vest, that should not be a problem with the Edge Works or the Blackhawk.

Remember, when open carrying as a LEO you should have a security holster to prevent from loosing you weapon is an arrest scuffle. I know, I lost mine when I was a rookie and besides being very dangerous, it is also embarrassing.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

When you look to a holster to do everything OK sometimes you end up with a holster that does nothing well. In other words, it works in most situations OK. But a dedicated holster for that situation would work even better. After trying to build a couple holsters that did multiple things, I decided it was better to have a holster that did what I wanted very well for one situation and another holster for a different situation.

IMO, get a work holster that functions with the tac vest. Then get an EDC holster that conceals well in regular clothes. I think you will be happier that way in the end.

Leather vs kydex is mostly personal. I make hybrids and leather. They do different things well.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Re: Plain clothes LE officer carry?

Get a "dress" belt. Most narrow to 1" in the front and widen in the carry area. Not so obvious, especially in brown.

Department policy is going to determine alot about the holster.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Agency requirements state that we should conceal carry on duty, however a lot of the guys do not. I am looking for a do it all holster and was leaning towards the safariland als rig seeing as i can mount it on multiple attachments however I stand 6'2'' and 190lbs so im pretty thin so i worry about printing.

Re: Plain clothes LE officer carry?

Crossbreed supertuck holster, dress gun belt and start buying pants and shirts a size larger. All business expenses. (and a nice Spiderco knife).

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Administrator
    I've spent a little more than half my career plain clothes/undercover. Stop trying to find one holster that does it all. You're wasting time and money. Get a quality belt/holster combo for daily use, and put together a "raid rig" and call it good.
    glockman10mm and Bark'n like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've spent a little more than half my career plain clothes/undercover. Stop trying to find one holster that does it all. You're wasting time and money. Get a quality belt/holster combo for daily use, and put together a "raid rig" and call it good.
    Yep. I second that. In addition to this great advice, for my plain clothed activity, I have a custom belt/holster that was made for each other. It is open top, bull hide outer with calf skin lining that grips the gun like a glove. The belt is double thickness and made for the exact slots in the holster. It is made for the G22/17. I have used it for the last 7 years or so, and can wear it for 16-24 hours in total comfort. I just took it off a few minutes ago, and have worn it all day. Do not skimp on quality!

SIXTO likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A subject near and dear to me. Of my years in police service I spent most of my time in plain clothes. There are concessions, and considerations to be made when working plain clothes. I'm curious to understand what level of plain clothes your going to work. Detectives work plain clothes, but mostly business attire. Anti-Crime, and plain clothed patrol officers work in plain clothes wearing clothing that would tend to deny their identity and blend in with the neighborhood. Sometimes tactical officers work in a kind of plain clothes sometimes. Not so much to deny their identity but comfort and to be flexible in how to handle various situations. Sometimes they have no time to uniform before responding to a situation. Undercover officers and ghosts wear plain clothes that would tend to give them the appearence of being a drug addict, a homeless person, or some other harmless local.

With each of these assignments come different requierments of arming yourself, and methods of carry. For example...

Most detective investigators wear business clothing. Wearing a firearm in any open holster, attached to a belt strong side is standard. A shoulder hoster works just as well IMO. Most detectives will wear a suit, or sports jacket. Sometimes a wind breaker.

Anti-Crime officers tend to wear clothes a bit more rough. As these officers are usually on the prowl for felons they get into more foot chases, and wrestling matches than most officers. Again a belt holster OWB with some form of retention, and if possible some level of security. In this duty the holster should be a bit more concielable. A/C officers often must mix in a crowd, or tail a subject on foot, and a gun printing, or a coat opening to reveal a gun in holster is a dead give away.

Under cover officers and ghosts are the most difficult of plain clothed carry. Often in an undercover situation a gun is more a liability than a help. Keep in mind that an undercover is playing that he's one of the bad guys... buying drugs or what ever. The undercover is usually outgunned, and out numbered on the drug set. Most drug users dont own gun's. And would probably sell it if they had one. So if an undercover is found to have a gun... it means one of two things... he's a cop, or he's a stick up kid.... Either one could be a death sentence in the streets. So any firearm must be deeply concieled, and worn without a holster.

I'm sorry... sometimes I ramble on and go into too much detail. What kind of plain clothes will you be working?
    SIXTO, glockman10mm and Bark'n like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links