Holsters

Holsters

This is a discussion on Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I am new to CC I am still trying to find the method that works best for me. I stand 5ft 7in and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters

Nd [OP]

Holsters

As I am new to CC I am still trying to find the method that works best for me. I stand 5ft 7in and am not very big at about 145lbs, I'm having a hard time finding a way to conceal on my frame. Any ideas, I carry either my Kimber ultra CDP 2 or my SW shield in 9mm. Looking for hints or advise?

Kramer horsehide belt scabbard

I've tried a number of different holsters for my Colt Defender, a similar gun to your Kimber Ultra. The one that conceals the best for me is a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard, an outside the waistband holster made of very thin and stiff horsehide. It positions the gun high on the belt and pulls the gun close. With a good cover garment it conceals perfectly.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nd [OP]
    Thanks, all I have tried is ITWB holsters I will have to look into the out side line. Any thought on shoulder holsters?

Shoulder and IWB holsters

I have never used a shoulder holster and don't know much about them. You mentioned IWB holsters, however. I do use those with guns that are small and slim through the slide or barrel, such as a Kahr MK9 that I have. One IWB holster that I like is the Comp-Tac 2 O'clock model for appendix carry. This is made of thin and strong Kydex material that doesn't add much thickness but holds the gun firmly. The gun "clicks" a little when it goes into or out of the holster. The appendix position is about the fastest spot to draw from, and allows an easy draw when seated, which is difficult with behind the hip belt holsters. But appendix position only works with smaller guns.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I have and use High Noon Under Taker shoulder rigs. I also use Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro IWB/OWB holsters. The PK BOPs are far more useful as they conceal better with more variety of clothes. I use the shoulder rigs primarily when driving or when i know I will not be talking off a jacket.

I have a PK BOP for my Shield and it just disappears and is very comfortable.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I waited way too long to try a hybrid Crossbreed style holster. I bought one two weeks ago for my Beretta Nano from a local builder and HOLY CRAP is it comfortable. It has effectively stopped my perfect holster search. I am not much bigger than you at 5' 8" & 165lbs. I wear it at 3:30-4:00 and it disappears under reasonably loose fit shirts. I suggest looking at hybrids. There are a bunch of good builders out there. If you want the contact info for the guy who made mine shoot me a PM. He makes them only with horsehide backing and has a two week trial (just like most makers) and charges $50.00 shipped.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Re: Holsters

I'm roughly the same size as you and find that the parts of the pistol that is hardest to conceal are the back of the slide and the bottom of the handle. To help with these, try canting the gun forward so the handle angles higher.

As for holsters, I find hydrids like Comp Tac Minotaur are the best compromise for IWB comfort, concealability, price and convenience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Galcp IWB leather.
    I am 5-7 and a few extra #. I conceal a 642 with loose fitting/hawaiian style golf shirts.
    The galco leather is thin and does not add to much to the guns width
    When i was 21, I was at 5-7 and 130#.
    I used either a IWB or an in pocket holster when working, because our uniform was loose fitting.
    (my boss was cool about carrying. Just said "don't let the customers see it")

Just remember : Concealed mneans concealed.

Holsters

Galco king tuck, conceals my glock 19 under a light t shirt easily.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356472818.885123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Holsters

I have a hybrid belt slide holster and wear it under my pants on a 2" nylon web belt. It works pretty good for me.

-Jason

Holster is a Don Hume H726 NO. 10-3 1/2". I like the open front for ease & speed of draw and the thumb break hammer guard when carrying condition one.

Click on pic to enlarge.

pic 3.JPG

pic 4.JPG

CC_pic2.JPG

CC_Pic1.JPG
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Have you maybe thought of getting a N8squared. They are extremely comfortable and the original model only cost $39.95

index

It's a journey. Pure Kustom, Milt Sparks, Crossbreed and X-Concealment are among my favorite gear. OWB is a bit more comfy and IWB provides a bit more concealment.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Sponsor
    For IWB in the 3-5 o clock position give SHTF Gear a try.

S&W M&P Shield, SHTF Gear ACE-1 Holster

Kimber 1911 ACE-1 Holster

Very comfortable, great warranty, and we offer Mil,LEO,NRA,and Education discounts.

feature-small.jpg

Thanks,
    Clay

VIP Member
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links