Looking for an IWB for a skinny person

This is a discussion on Looking for an IWB for a skinny person within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I did a lot of research on holsters in general, found what I thought was the best fit for me and it turned out ...

Thread: Looking for an IWB for a skinny person

OK, I did a lot of research on holsters in general, found what I thought was the best fit for me and it turned out to be a great holster, just not for me.

So..... lets start this over: I am looking for an IWB holster that allows me to carry someplace between 2o'clock and 4 o'clock (preferably probably 2 to 3). Now here's the trick: I'm looking for input from skinny folks as I think that the way it fits them will be similar to the way it fits me. The guns that I'll be looking for the holsters for are XD SC and a Steyr MA1 (primarily XD SC)

Thanks
    Last edited by Huzar; October 14th, 2006 at 12:29 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Ummm, which one did you try and what did you not like about it? That would tell us a lot.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Maybe a Brommland / witht the tail on the bottom might find you better. Give him a call or a P.M> I am sure he will discuss it with you. Also there some other quality holster makers on this site.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky's got the right idea - call Gary Brommeland, explain your situation and see which model he recommends. For me, the Max-Con V is the perfect holster but I carry a 1911 (and a few extra pounds). Your thicker weapon and thinner build might require a MC III or even an OWB Def Con. Either way, Gary and/or Remy can give the best advice on their gear and they're a pleasure to talk to.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Ummm, which one did you try and what did you not like about it? That would tell us a lot.
    It digs into me:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=15461

Like above I'd put in a call to Mr. Brommeland and several others as well. Good custom makers will be happy to have an intelligent conversation about what you need. Other great makers include Alessi, Andrews, Bullman, Tucker and a host of others some of whom are on this board. I'll bet some of these guys will be able to give you the answers you need.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Jay
    I'm in the same boat as you at 6' 140lbs and a 31" waist so far my new comp-tac C-tac for my Kimber ultra works great. It seamed to me that ride height is the biggest factor for us skinny guys. As like you said the grip likes to sneak up under our ribs. I don't want to miss lead you standing or walking i forget i have a gun i do remember it's there when I'm sitting in my truck, but i accept it as a compromise. http://www.comp-tac.com/

I think I am more along the lines of average than skinny, 5'9", 160ish, but I too, love the CTAC. It is very comfy. And what made it even better was the mods you can do to the CTAC to lower the height of it on your waist.

Now it sits perfectly where I want it. I wear mine at 4 o'clock and I know it's there, but I am comfortable with it. And that was w/o any undershirt for cushioning.

You can search for the CTAC mods.
    It's not polite to call people name's, you idiot!

6' 160 lbs. here, with a 32" waist, and with most of my weight in my legs--I'm an avid runner and cyclist.

I've never found an IWB holster I like. My hips are bones with muscle, and not much padding. I've tried several models, and worn them in several positions, but to no avail. On the other hand, the hollow between my hips and chest is terrific for OWB. I could carry just about anything I wanted and keep it concealed nicely. BTW I carry a Kahr PM9--not a big pistol.

I've had an IWB holster on order from Brommeland for a while now, I think it will be ready soon. I can give a report when I receive it. I heard it might be the ticket for a thin guy so I'm trying it out. Whether it works or not it will be the last IWB I purchase.
    Last edited by RobbW; October 26th, 2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: "hops" to "hips"--oops

Why do you want to carry a skinny person in your pants?

Seriously, a dual loop/clip type holster like a Milt Sparks VMII or Watch 6 or an HBE Leatherworks COM 3 or DC Special would likely work best. It should be the flattest holster since it doesn't put the loops or clips over the body of the gun.

I'm 6'4" and weigh 168 and the CompTac Slide with standard clips works great for me.
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

i'm 6'2" and about 170. i've done a bit of research and i've decided on the CompTac C-T.A.C.

if anyone is interested, i'll post a review from a skinny guy's point of view when it arrives.

Senior Moderator
    I am 6'3" and weigh 134lbs. Yes I am skinny, that's why I use Smartcarry. IWB never really worked for me except with really small guns.

Links