Theis -vs- Old Faithful

This is a discussion on Theis -vs- Old Faithful within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to concealed carry and I've gone through the usual trials and tribulations with holsters deciding how I want to carry by Glock27. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Theis -vs- Old Faithful

Theis -vs- Old Faithful

I'm relatively new to concealed carry and I've gone through the usual trials and tribulations with holsters deciding how I want to carry by Glock27. I've posted a couple of adventure posts already and I wanted to share something with other newbies (and maybe some old timers will enjoy this as well).

After going through the various options... paddle holster, OWB, I finally gave IWB a shot and after doing my research I went with a Theis (pronounced 'tice') Theisholsters.com | Photo Gallery | Custom IWB Holsters

I received my holster in 2 weeks, and within 3 days of wearing it I was hooked. Very comfortable, even though I never thought I'd be an IWB guy. Couldn't have been happier.

In the meantime, I had also placed an order for an Old Faithful Stage 3 kit, they were having a 20% sale so I figured I'd see how I liked the thicker kydex they use. Hip Holster | Gun Hip Holsters | Old Faithful Holsters

I received the Old Faithful mid-last week and when I took it out of the package I noticed 2 things...

1) the Old Faithful was considerably larger (wider) and
    2) the leather was quite a bit thicker (which I knew would be the case)

(see attached pics)DPP_2628.jpgDPP_2632.JPGDPP_2633.JPGDPP_2634.JPG

Immediately, I thought to myself "Well Iggy, you wasted a few dollars, should have quit while you were ahead"

But I assembled the kit and decided to give it a shot. Wow, was I shocked... the Old Faithful is even more comfortable than the Theis. More comfortable for me, Iggy, maybe not for everyone. I've heard great things about both.

What I am suggesting though is that you can't judge a book by its cover, nor can you be sure what will be more comfortable for you based on your preference, your body type/shape, what position you carry in, etc., until you try them.

If I'd looked at those pics above without having tried either of them first, I'd have thought for sure the Theis would be more comfortable. And for some, it probably is.

If you have the means, spend a few bucks, help out a couple small businesses and try some competitors who are in the same category of holster. You may be surprised.

I highly recommend both of these holster makers. High quality products and quick service. There are many others out there that make this style of holster, so enjoy the search and your own adventure.

By the way... this pic isn't a holster, but it's my first grandchild, born this morning (Dec 24). Wren Marie. Being held by her lovely, and very happy grandmother.

DPP_2647.JPG
    Brad426, RAL, Ransom and 1 others like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

2. Remove Ads

A. Congrats on the granddaughter!

B. I'm with you on the Old Faithful... I got my first one a little less than a year ago and not have one for each of my handguns.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Congrats on the new additions. All 3 of 'em!

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    A. Congrats on the granddaughter!

B. I'm with you on the Old Faithful... I got my first one a little less than a year ago and not have one for each of my handguns.
    Thanks Brad. I'm enjoying our unofficial game of "who has the best one-liners".

Fun to give a "like" when you've earned one, and I appreciate the "like" from you when I've made you chuckle.

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Thanks for the review Iggy. I am doing my ccw class this weekend. And thought i had it figured out was planning on going with Theis holster. Couple of questions
    1. What tools do you need and i saw on website it was about 15 minutes to put together the stage 3 holster is this true?
    2. I have read great things about Theis kydex clips will the clips from Theis fit old faithful?
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Which holster would be better for skinny build? Guessing Theis, but the ridgedness of the other holster might contour better.

Quote Originally Posted by Timkid View Post
    Thanks for the review Iggy. I am doing my ccw class this weekend. And thought i had it figured out was planning on going with Theis holster. Couple of questions
    1. What tools do you need and i saw on website it was about 15 minutes to put together the stage 3 holster is this true?
    2. I have read great things about Theis kydex clips will the clips from Theis fit old faithful?
    1) A hammer and a screwdriver are all that's needed, and yes 15 minutes is all the time you need.
    2) I got the kydex clips with my Theis and immediately put them on my Old Faithful when I started wearing it and they work great.

That was something else I meant to mention, making your own Frankenholster of sorts... using parts from various ones to customize it a little bit.

Also, the adjustable retention on the Old Faithful is another "feature. The retention on the Theis is absolutely perfect however.

1boredguy - as to which is best for a skinny build... the Theis may be better, although I'm not skinny, so I can't really say for sure.

I've been using an Old Faithful that I built for my Sig 250C for almost 10 months and love it. I need to order another one for a Colt 1911 government

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    1) A hammer and a screwdriver are all that's needed, and yes 15 minutes is all the time you need.
    2) I got the kydex clips with my Theis and immediately put them on my Old Faithful when I started wearing it and they work great.

That was something else I meant to mention, making your own Frankenholster of sorts... using parts from various ones to customize it a little bit.

Also, the adjustable retention on the Old Faithful is another "feature. The retention on the Theis is absolutely perfect however.

1boredguy - as to which is best for a skinny build... the Theis may be better, although I'm not skinny, so I can't really say for sure.
    Thanks for the reply Iggy looks like I'm gonna have to buy both and find out witch workes best for me.
    My brain likes what your saying. My wallet on the other hand is not to happy.

Merry Christmas
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

I haven't tried the old faithful but I have two of the Theis. I have been very happy from the quick delivery to customer service and communication. I actually contacted Mr Theis about a small issue I had and he was quick to call me and offer a solution and was genuinely concerned. This meant a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I haven't tried the old faithful but I have two of the Theis. I have been very happy from the quick delivery to customer service and communication. I actually contacted Mr Theis about a small issue I had and he was quick to call me and offer a solution and was genuinely concerned. This meant a lot.
    This is the main reason i am buying a theis holster i have read alot about his great customer service. Also he is a small business owner. Its what made me decide not to perchase a crossbreed holster.
    Every saint has a past
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

RAL
    iguanadon,
    Congratulations on the new/first grandbaby!!

You may find, over time, that you like the Old Faithful best, as you have the ability to adjust the retention as the leather continues to form to your body. Also, another option I like, is the ability to change the gun/kydex form if/when you get another EDC. You can change the kydex to one for your new gun, and continue to use your -already broken in- leather. This a big plus IMO.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Re: Theis -vs- Old Faithful

What, specifically, made the OF more comfortable?

I've worn my husband's 1911 in one and liked it, but the Theis being narrower looks kind of nice.
    BTW thanks for the pronunciation note. I'd wondered.

And congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    What, specifically, made the OF more comfortable?

I've worn my husband's 1911 in one and liked it, but the Theis being narrower looks kind of nice.
    BTW thanks for the pronunciation note. I'd wondered.

And congrats!
    I can't really say what makes the Old Faithful more comfortable for me. I think it's because it's wider and distributes things more broadly. Smaller framed or skinnier people may find that the Theis is more "form fitting" for them. ??? I just can't say for sure. Maybe some scrawny little person will see this thread and will have tried the Theis and an Old Faithful and can chime in. :-)

I do like the my old faithful holster much more than my crossbreed BUT I have noticed the retention isn't as much on the old faithful. Has anyone noticed this?

Do you guys/gals who have an old faithful really tighten the retention screws all the way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links