Different (maybe) take on Cross Draw......

This is a discussion on Different (maybe) take on Cross Draw...... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand all the criticism concerning Cross Draw (though I'm not sure I agree....), but, I was thinking about a Vertical Cross Draw or one ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunnie

Thread: Different (maybe) take on Cross Draw......

Different (maybe) take on Cross Draw......

I understand all the criticism concerning Cross Draw (though I'm not sure I agree....), but, I was thinking about a Vertical Cross Draw or one with a very slight cant worn opposite of the 3 O'clock position for a righty. I can easily reach my left side at the hip with my right arm. All the CD holsters I've seen so far have a greater degree of cant that adds to the retention concern. IF I'm making any sense, tell me why a near vertical off-side CD Holster wouldn't work........easy access from my right side, ease in access while driving, etc......Has/Does anyone carry this way? .......Sandpiper

2. Remove Ads

I've used my right hand vertical on the left side similar to what your talking about. I find it very comfortable it makes for a good seated holster due to the gun being vertical rather then canted into the larger part of your mid section. Depends on weapon though I suppose. I've only used this with my 2.5 686+ and my government .38 best way I've found to get holster is use a vertical right hand and just place on the left. As most CDs are canted butt forward

Another option is to use a paddle holster which seem rather comfortable just remember that the Serpa retention with the push button is going to make for a very awkward draw you realy don't need anything more then a good fitting holster my favorite uses no strap or retention adjustment. Not sure who makes it as it was a gift from the original owner of my .38 super. It has provisions for a paddle as well as a belt loop.

Gunnie, your first response is the one I hoped for. So it does make some sense....I'll be carrying a 2.5" 66 and a 2" 62 and if it fits, a 2.5" 686. Thanks for the insight. It made sense to me, but as I said, I've never heard it talked about. Thank you....Sandpiper

I got the idea from a gentleman who taught me defensive shooting. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. I prefer when carrying a wheel gun to carry vertical as I've noticed less hammer bite in my larger mid section. Just requires some practice with the draw. Best of luck ,Gunnie
    Sandpiper likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I like the idea of crossdraw for a small revolver. I honestly don't see the retention issue.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Do you mean something like this...FIST, INC.
    I have one for my Glock-36 and use it for long trips.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm using something similar to the fist inc however mine stays fixed to the belt while driving and for drawing similar to the way you would with a vertical shoulder holster. Retention only presents a issue if running a sprint with small revolver no issue with my 1911 unless I lay prone then it just touches the butt to ground. Mines been a carry gun since original purchase in 1970 so it's got wear regardless of what I do to it.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Cross draws are very comfortable and effective if you are seated for a good amount of time that you are carrying. Moving the gun to your left side helps with the seat belt also. This is why they were popular with cowboys also. DR

Moving the gun to your left side helps with the seat belt also. This is why they were popular with cowboys also.
    I didn't know Saddles had seat belts,LOL.Crossdraw makes sense,when I was an LEO,and carried Revolvers trying to draw from a belted seated position was almost impossible
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links