SideGuard Quick Clip Review

This is a discussion on SideGuard Quick Clip Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SideGuard Quick Clip IWB holster I’ve had good service from Don Hume holsters in the past. I have a variety of Don Hume IWB, belt ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brady

Thread: SideGuard Quick Clip Review

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

SideGuard Quick Clip IWB holster

I’ve had good service from Don Hume holsters in the past. I have a variety of Don Hume IWB, belt sliders and duty holsters that have serviced their purpose(s) well, including a couple of their model 715 for semi-autos. Not having had any experience with a revolver in an IWB holster, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I wanted something that would feel similar to my semi-auto’s in an IWB and be comfortable. That turned out to ‘appear’ somewhat unrealistic and the Don Hume 715 for revolvers definitely was not it!

The belt clip on the H715 rides the belt significantly below the cylinder and pushes the barrel of the revolver inward in to my ample love-handles and it pinches when sitting or crouching, ouch! This arrangement also pushes the grip outward and makes it less concealable than it should be. I wasn’t sure what to do about it so I just didn’t carry the LCR in the 715 very much and pretty much stuck to pocket carry.

Original carry package

Line up of the cylinder to the clip.

Fully inserted.

The white triangle shows placement of the belt in relation to the cylinder.

Later I read Grant Cunningham’s book the “GunDigest Book of the Revolver”, in which he described how a revolver IWB holster ought to fit and ride on the belt. I had been reading Grant’s web site and blog GrantCunningham.com - Home for a while and thought the book would probably be of good use. What an understatement! I highly recommend this book.
    Gun Digest Book of the Revolver: Grant Cunningham: 9781440218125: Amazon.com: Books

Having had less than satisfactory results with the H715 for my LCR, I decide it was time to try a custom or semi-custom IWB holster for my new SP-101. I began to peruse the various holster makers which included some who are DC sponsors and settled on SideGuard Holsters. Ordered July 21st, Received Sept 12th,2012.

I liked the idea of offsetting the clip away from directly over the cylinder (I saw several holster makers that offer this) and read that this would make the holster ride much more comfortably. The several writers of this opinion were not wrong. I thought it looked a bit odd with the leather of the holster body being ‘inside out’ but the pictures on SideGuard’s site didn’t do it justice. When it arrived in the mail and the package was opened I thought, “what an ugly holster”! But then, when worn, it is completely covered by the pants and belt. AND… no one is supposed to see it anyway.

Notice the position of the belt clip behind, and even with, the cylinder.

The leather body being rough side out is supposed to help limit the holster shifting and sliding around to keep it stationary and it definitely does help with that. The offset clip which I agreed was probably feasible for more comfort still took me by surprise. While acknowledging that they are different holsters with different guns, the SideGuard beats the pants off the H715 for comfort and limited shift. Also, I ordered it for a 3 inch barrel though mine is the 2 ¼ inch. This was a suggestion of Grant’s to limit the pinching of barrel against the love handles.

It is comfortable standing, stooping or sitting and no pinching. The real test was wearing it on a 1400 mile round trip in a Suburban for my Dad’s funeral this past early November. Total comfort and no discovery the whole visit. Final verdict is “I Love this Holster”! and this package (SideGuard + SP101) has become my primary carry that gets the call probably 80% of the time.

Still haven't figured out how to post thumbnails of the pics.
    I'm going to post this on Rugerforum.net also, since it is such an excellent option for the SP101.
    Sledge likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Your grips are awesome. Will look at that holster!
    Attached Images
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

The Hume company has never had qualified designers on staff, and your example is evidence of that.

Your second example suffers only from the maker's mistake - and it is a mistake - in applying a dressing to the flesh side (rough side) of the leather. Rough out holsters are meant to be natural, and for good reason, not least the ugly bit you've noticed.

Otherwise your point is well-taken: the belt clip mustn't be on top of the cylinder. Course, in my view there shouldn't be a cylinder at all. too bulky, and a trip to a range with a 5 shot Chief and a G19 convinces in a hurry, especially with spare mags.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    The Hume company has never had qualified designers on staff, and your example is evidence of that.

Your second example suffers only from the maker's mistake - and it is a mistake - in applying a dressing to the flesh side (rough side) of the leather. Rough out holsters are meant to be natural, and for good reason, not least the ugly bit you've noticed.

Otherwise your point is well-taken: the belt clip mustn't be on top of the cylinder. Course, in my view there shouldn't be a cylinder at all. too bulky, and a trip to a range with a 5 shot Chief and a G19 convinces in a hurry, especially with spare mags.
    Interesting thought however my holsters are fully dipped in an acrylic top coat so it is very water resistant where a non-finished rough out (flesh side) would absorb moisture which is bad for the leather and gun.

Thanks for the business Brady! The Quick Clip was the first IWB holster I designed.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Re: SideGuard Quick Clip Review

Nice review, Brady. My Quick Clip for my LCR should arrive soon, right, Erik? ;) ;);)

Of all the absurd things I have ever written I like this one the most.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Cool

I have two Quick Clips, one for my SP-101 and one for my S&W Model 65.

Quality and a resonable price.

Image.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Interesting thought however my holsters are fully dipped in an acrylic top coat so it is very water resistant where a non-finished rough out (flesh side) would absorb moisture which is bad for the leather and gun.
    That explains it, without excusing it. It was the OP who called it ugly! Let me give advice that serves every kind of industrial designer well: people will buy something that looks good but works poorly, before they will buy something that works well but looks bad. No, I'm not suggesting you do the former; rather, that a competent industrial designer makes a product that looks good while working well; that's our job. It's a cop out to lay ugly at the feet of function. Ferraris go well, but they look even better!
    Red (Richard) Nichols

Links