Shoulder holsters - Page 2

Shoulder holsters

This is a discussion on Shoulder holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first started looking at carrying everyday I ran across some article or blog post that recommended wearing suspenders/braces to help with the overall ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shoulder holsters

When I first started looking at carrying everyday I ran across some article or blog post that recommended wearing suspenders/braces to help with the overall weight. If I am wearing jeans and can have a 'normal' thick belt that can take the weight I don't wear them. But at times with certain belts I wear them to help the overall weight. I also have one of the cheap nylon shoulder rigs that have tie downs. I will only 'tie down' the side opposite the gun. This makes it more comfortable and balanced but does feel as restrictive as when I tie them both down. I wear a cover vest often and like to wear the shoulder rig enough that I am looking at getting a nicer leather rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Check out the Mitch Rosen and the Andrews Custom Leather holsters.
    Rosen Product Line
    Andrews Custom Leather - Monarch Shoulder Rig
    Two highly rated shoulder rigs that don't use tie downs.
    I may need to buy my own cow at those prices and here I was thinking that a Galco Miami Classic was a little costly....

Shoulder holsters

Good Day all.

I'm curious to know when it is practical to wear a shoulder rig?

I always carry with a Galco IWB on strong side, and can't seem to figure when it would be practical to wear a shoulder rig.

Thanks,

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ximat1 View Post
    Good Day all.

I'm curious to know when it is practical to wear a shoulder rig?

I always carry with a Galco IWB on strong side, and can't seem to figure when it would be practical to wear a shoulder rig.

Thanks,

X
    Well, I don't know where "The middle of nowhere" is, but here in Ohio we have 4 seasons. And in spring, fall, and winter, a shoulder holster is easily concealed under a light jacket, an unbuttoned shirt, a heavy winter jacket or coat, etc. About the only time it isn't practical is in the summer when wearing just a T-shirt or tank top. They are very comfortabile if sitting around the house reading or watching TV. And they are very comfortable if you have to sit in a car or truck and drive a long distance. They are also give easier access to you gun when sitting than just about any other type of holster that you wear on your body. If you have to wear a sport coat or suit jacket, they also work well. So, there are a number of occasions when it is practical to wear a shoulder rig.

I use a Galco IWB holster for my Kimber 1911 most of the time, but in spring, winter, and fall, depending upon how I am dressed and where I am going, I frequently carry my 1911 in a Galco Miami Classic II. And I find it very comfortable and practical. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    I'm told that it's well worth the money to get a good leather shoulder holster. I can tell you that I picked up a cheap nylon rig and it qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.
    Your succinct report made me cringe and shiver. If I ever go for a shoulder rig, I promise I will not go the cheap route.

Have always wanted one, but wear a suit or sports jacket so rarely that it probably wouldn't be worth it...

But there IS a high cool factor!!!!
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    I may need to buy my own cow at those prices and here I was thinking that a Galco Miami Classic was a little costly....
    When I ordered my holster from Mr. Andrews, he told me that when his son was like 3 yrs old, when they passed a herd of cows that the little boy would yell "You're all hamburgers and holsters."!!
    StarPD45 and billpocz like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Carry a 1911 in a Miami Classic II all day very comfortable and loving to so far.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

images.jpg

To me shoulder rigs seem like a whole new life style.

I have a few shoulder holsters with the belt attachment and yes they do help hold pants up. All my shoulders holsters are the vertical type since they do seem to carry better for me.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

It's all about choices & options. Most of us don't need one carry option to cover all bases. I like shoulder & other methods for extended sitting/driving & deeper cover situations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links