Shoulder holsters

This is a discussion on Shoulder holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend my Daughter got married (finally!) and I had to wear the full monkey suit (Tuxedo). It came with everything, including suspenders. Since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shoulder holsters

Shoulder holsters

This past weekend my Daughter got married (finally!) and I had to wear the full monkey suit (Tuxedo).
    It came with everything, including suspenders.
    Since I have a few extra #, the suspenders were a necessity. After 8 hours in them, this curred me of wanting a shoulder holster......

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I wear suspenders most of the time. I was wondering if it's possible to convert a pair of them to hold a shoulder holster? Anyone ever tried this?
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Hahah. Suspenders and a good shoulder holster are like apples and oranges. Most good holsters don't need to be "anchored" on your belt, particularly if you're wearing a pistol under one arm, and magazines under the other. Kinda balances out pretty nice.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I'm told that it's well worth the money to get a good leather shoulder holster. I can tell you that I picked up a cheap nylon rig and it qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

I have a Miami Classic. I don't wear it all that often, I think I bought it more for the novelty than anything, but I have worn it numerous full days without issue. It does add a little stress until you get used to it, and I'm sure the newer model with wider straps is much more comfortable long term. I know the feeling of snug suspenders (fire gear) and that is MUCH more annoying than my shoulder holster has ever been.

GH
    I've always considered a shoulder holster but I pretty much gave up the thought. It's still in the back of my mind, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Check out the Mitch Rosen and the Andrews Custom Leather holsters.
    Rosen Product Line
    Andrews Custom Leather - Monarch Shoulder Rig
    Two highly rated shoulder rigs that don't use tie downs.

I've got a Ritchie shoulder holster and I can reccomend that as well, It has tie-downs but I don't use them and you don't really need them. Definitely more comfortable than suspenders but it can become uncomfortable after a full day, especially until you get used to it.

Shoulder holsters were the vogue when men wore suits and sport jackets all of the time. Fashions today. sweaters and slack and shirt, have pretty much made the SH a specialty item, to be worn once or twice a year. As a retired OF (Old F**t) the only time I wear a Blazer, only suitcoat I own, is for weddings and funerals. People who wear suits around rural TN are either preachers or FBI agents! A well made IWB holster would be more practical.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have always worn suspenders with a suit or sport jacket, just my fashion "thing". In fact I collect them. Oh, and they are more correctly called "braces", the old school term.

I frequently wear a shoulder holster but I always use the tie downs. I carry a 1911 with a a double mag pouch on the opposite side, I find they flop around too much if I do not use the tie downs. I have seriously considered the Monarch rig, just have not had the cash for one. I like the idea of the lower back strap to eliminate the tie downs.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Recently I ended up with some right hip issues (its that getting older thing) and discovered that wearing either my IWB or OWB on that hip aggravated the injury. I've ordered the Andrews Monarch, and am anxious to get it..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I have a few High Noon Under Takers and really like them. Good performers and good value.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

"Oh, and they are more correctly called "braces", the old school term. "
    Actually, braces and suspenders are different. One has button holes, and the other has a clip with serrations that clamp onto the pants at the belt line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Recently I ended up with some right hip issues (its that getting older thing) and discovered that wearing either my IWB or OWB on that hip aggravated the injury. I've ordered the Andrews Monarch, and am anxious to get it..........
    Please let us know what you think after wearing it a while.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I havent worn my Mich Rosen since last winter. Its a rare day that I'm in a jacket all day, When I'm Hunting I carry my Sp101 in a Bianchi Black Widow or my Kimber in a Milt Sparks Axiom both strong side hip holsters.

Thinking about bird hunting tomarrow maybe I'll wear that shoulder rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links