IWB re-holster, advice, suggestions.

This is a discussion on IWB re-holster, advice, suggestions. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry IWB using several holsters from top makers (Tucker cover up plus and Galco Skyops), for two different guns. Both tucked and untucked. With ...

Thread: IWB re-holster, advice, suggestions.

IWB re-holster, advice, suggestions.

I carry IWB using several holsters from top makers (Tucker cover up plus and Galco Skyops), for two different guns. Both tucked and untucked. With all of them, re-holster is difficult to dang near impossible without unbuckling my belt and loosening my pants to get the pistol back in the holster. I understand that re-holster, tactically is unimportant, but I believe that ya gotta practice. Practice means draw from your carry condition. Well at the range, they don't appreciate me dropping my drawers to re-holster after every try.
    At home (unloaded of course) it is a real pain to go through a draw & dry fire excercise, drop my drawers, re-holster, put myself back together again and do it again.
    Is there a better way?

Roger

2. Remove Ads

Roger,

I believe there is a better way. First, I use a Max-Con V for IWB carry and have no problems with re-holstering after drawing. I do practice this way but I mostly practice with my OWB holster's when at the range. I have two Def-Con coming in sometime when Gary quites complaining about a back problem or some such non-sense. Just kidding dude........

To me there is little difference in drawing from IWB and OWB if using quality rig's. The only difference is one is in the pant's and one is not. I would say that an IWB is a but tighter to draw from but not much.

Try an OWB the next time or buy a Max-Con V or you can buy a holster that has a steal band under the leather at the mouth of the holster that allow's for easy re-holstering that suck's to carry with IMO.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well yes and no. If you want to practice from a tucked in position then NO...your outa luck. If you want to practice from a general IWB carry position then yes.....just reholster it and go again.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Lead Moderator
    As Eric said....................Unless you belt is too tight , I cannot think of why you would have problems reholstering with a quality rig.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I consider my Milt Sparks Watch Six to be a "quality rig", and it is still difficult to re-holster. That is good, though, since the difficulty stems from the thin non-reinforced mouth of the holster. Were it a reinforced mouth I could more easily re-holster, but it would not be as comfy or concealable.

My answer is to use an OWB holster for range work and my Watch Six strictly for carry. It is not perfect practice, but as close as I can reasonably get. And, no, I don't feel that the compromise hurts my preparedness in the least.

I say buy a second holster for your practice drills.

IWB holsters can be reinforced and still remain thin.

I personally do not carry IWB, I find it uncomfortable and prefer OWB holsters. I think that you should train on the rig that you intend to carry though so you build your muscle memory.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dunn View Post
    IWB holsters can be reinforced and still remain thin.
    +1.

There are plenty of leather reinforced IWB holsters that will allow a re-holster (which actually I feel does include real-life advantages, not just for the range). My Don Hume 715-M will withstand a good period of empty IWB wear and still allow re-insertion. It's also plenty comfortable.

Then there's the holsters with plastic- or steel-reinforced mouths.

And then you have Kydex.

I think that you should train on the rig that you intend to carry though so you build your muscle memory.
    +1, and besides that, if you are going to have any holster failures you want to have them on the range and not on the street.

If you are concerned with re-holstering and your current holster collapses when the pistol is removed, then you will need to get a different holster.

I too use Gary Brommeland's www.brommelandgunleather.com , Max Con V holsters which do not have a reenforced mouth, making them thinner and easier to conceal. I have absolutely no problem reholstering.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Lightbulb +1!

Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal View Post
    And then you have Kydex.
    When it comes to IWB I'll take Blade-Tech and nothing but.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My IWB Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. is made of rigid kydex and allows reholstering all day long. My complaint is that carrying the holster empty (if I am briefly in a "no guns allowed" environment) allows the top of the rigid kydex sweat shield extension to dig into me. I'm experimenting with self adhesive moleskin or callus pads on the back of the shield to cushion it.

Having just bought a new Glock 23, I get to go holster shopping for it. I might try a kydex holster with a softer leather back and sweatshield, such as J.J. Herold's "North Woods Combo" or "North Woods Confidence" (jjheroldholsters.com), or Tucker Gunleather's "Answer" (tuckergunleather.com). I'll still be able to reholster but it should be more comfortable.

An interesting article at tuckergunleather.com says that Tucker had been producing all-leather holsters, while Comp-Tac specialized in kydex. The owners of the two companies got together to create the "Answer."

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    My IWB Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. is made of rigid kydex and allows reholstering all day long. My complaint is that carrying the holster empty (if I am briefly in a "no guns allowed" environment) allows the top of the rigid kydex sweat shield extension to dig into me.
    Same here, although it's only when I bend to that side. The top of the sweat shield sometimes stabs into my side, under my ribs. (Only when there's no pistol in the holster.)

I don't think putting padding on mine will help me in this case, so I'm considering someday cutting off a large portion of that sweat shield.

Pulling the gun you may want to be fast but reholstering should always be done slowly. I use both hands with an IWB type rig on to guide the gun and the other to place into the holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links