Portly looking for the right holster

This is a discussion on Portly looking for the right holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no hips, so pants system to fall down a lot. I usually have to wear suspenders. That make things extra tough. So far ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portly looking for the right holster

I have no hips, so pants system to fall down a lot. I usually have to wear suspenders. That make things extra tough. So far I have a OWB belt holster from Galco. That works pretty good, but the cocked and locked 1911 Officers tends to jab the hammer into my gut. With the holster had a leather piece that would go between me and the hammer.
    I also plan on carrying a SR9C. I took a chance and ordered a BlackDog Concealment holster. It's Kydex and has adjustable can't and a full shield. I just don't think a IWB would work. Tried a cheaper leather one from Galco and it really sucked.
    Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

There is no substitute for a quality leather holster and a quality belt...both are a must have!
    Kydex holsters can work well for some, but leather is more forgiving. A good quality holster will work either IWB or OWB.IMHO
    When ordering a quality holster a 'body guard' (an extra piece of leather to shield the hammer from touching the skin) can help.
    Perhaps you may want to try moving the holster around a bit to find that 'spot' where it is most comfortable this can also help.(3:30-4:30???)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro will fit the bill for you. I am 6'5" and 350#. I have PK BOPs for small guns like the 642 and Shield up to large guns like a 5" 1911 and 4" K frame. They have appropriate sized body shields, are all day comfortable and hide your gun well. I prefer IWB, but the PK BOP can be worn IWB or OWB. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I use the Super tuck Crossbreed IWB holster for my sr40c, very comfortable, nice draw carried at 3:30.

VIP Member
    OWB (Leather) - Side Guard Holsters

IWB (Hybrid) - CrossBreed
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The two "men of size" I know that carry both use a Safepacker, but both carry smaller pistols than a 1911 like you mention.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

dragon holsters is all I wear anymore. Has 1911 holsters in stock. Would probably ship same day as ordered. 60.00
    Dragon Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
    I have no hips, so pants system to fall down a lot. I usually have to wear suspenders. That make things extra tough. So far I have a OWB belt holster from Galco. That works pretty good, but the cocked and locked 1911 Officers tends to jab the hammer into my gut. With the holster had a leather piece that would go between me and the hammer.
    I also plan on carrying a SR9C. I took a chance and ordered a BlackDog Concealment holster. It's Kydex and has adjustable can't and a full shield. I just don't think a IWB would work. Tried a cheaper leather one from Galco and it really sucked.
    Any suggestions?

Why do suspender not work for you? I wear a wife beater, then my suspenders, then a tshirt if I'm doing IWB, or if it's OWB I just wear thirt then suspenders and then cover garment. The trick for me is not making my belt so tight that i can't breath, a good set of suspenders will hold up your stuff, my pants and belt dont need to be "hooked" to hold everything up. I carry at 4ish oclock, just behind my "love handels".
    I don't know how long you have been packin, but it takes time to get ok with IWB, once you find your ''sweet spot" life will be better.

Probably need a better pair of suspenders. I have been using the metal spring jaw type. They seem to always be slipping off. What do you use?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
    Probably need a better pair of suspenders. I have been using the metal spring jaw type. They seem to always be slipping off. What do you use?
    I prefer Perry Suspenders - I started a thread about them at the link below.

Perry Construction Suspenders - A Range Report (sort of)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Perry Suspenders - outstanding!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

X2 perry suspenders rock. A shirt, perry suspenders, LC9 iwb in a N82 pro at about 4:00 and an outer t shirt for me. I leave my belt slightly loose and it works great and is actually comfortable. I too have no hips but a large "overhang".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear suspenders from Duluth Trading Company. Seriously heavy duty. I don't tighten my belt really tight either. I use an MTAC holster. Everything stays where it belongs. And I'm well concealed. I'm a big fan of MTAC holsters. I carry a Glock 17 and a spare mag.
    Question Everything!

Perry's Ruf n Tuf weight suspenders are great. Get a pair of traditional Origional and the Outback as each give the holster a different cant which affects printing. Several color choices, or wear a tail out cover garment.

diamonddcustomleather.com may very well help you with this. they are gun spacific

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links