SP101 Holster help.

SP101 Holster help.

This is a discussion on SP101 Holster help. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 3" Ruger SP101. I carry it in a Don Hume 715(?) with belt loops. I am 5'6" and 236 lbs. I generally ...

Thread: SP101 Holster help.

SP101 Holster help.

I have a 3" Ruger SP101. I carry it in a Don Hume 715(?) with belt loops. I am 5'6" and 236 lbs. I generally carry in the 4 o'clock position. It is comfortable overall but seems to print. Do I just need to wear a bigger shirt to cover it? I've been thinking of puchasing a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB holster for revolvers. Will this holster make a difference or will I have the same problem?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I carry an SP101 daily. I find that a 15 -20 degree cant puts the grip almost vertical. Being a small grip as it is, It hides like a charm. All that sticks up is the grip which is only 2-3 inches long.

Depending on what's printing, the body of the gun, or the grip would change which holster/clothes you'd wanna wear.

I find from time to time that the rubber grip will grab my shirt. It's just the price to pay for a rubber grip.

If it's the body of the gun that's printing, there may not be much you can do depending on your body build. If you have a "dimpled" behind, you could move the gun over that and it would kinda hide.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Don Hume 715 belt loop position

Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I have a 3" Ruger SP101. I carry it in a Don Hume 715(?) with belt loops. I am 5'6" and 236 lbs. I generally carry in the 4 o'clock position. It is comfortable overall but seems to print. Do I just need to wear a bigger shirt to cover it? I've been thinking of puchasing a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB holster for revolvers. Will this holster make a difference or will I have the same problem?
    The Don Hume 715 is an inside the waistband holster with belt loops or optional clip right on top of the holster, where it adds a little to thickness (not sure which type you have).

The Tucker Texas Heritage does move the belt loops over so they flank the gun rather than being directly on top, like the Hume 715, so you might gain something there, and have a smaller "bump" right over the gun. It would also give you the capability to tuck your shirt over the gun, which the Hume 715 does not - and this might help some in concealment.

I would also follow up on your own suggestion of a larger size shirt to reduce any printing, with emphasis on darker color or print pattern shirts to utilize the "camoflage" effect.

Larger Shirt and also i will say my personal experience the Don hum style IWB aren't not very conceable holsters

Where as a holster with he mounting point moved off to the side of the gun hide better tucker show above

I have the Don Hume with belt loops like the one shown above. I have trouble with the grip printing. I will probably give the Tucker a try as well as wear larger shirts. I have also considered the AKJ Concealco. The only problem with that one is that it seems to be solely for strongside 3 oclock carry. The Tucker can be moved around to different positions. Thanks for the input.

Assistant Administrator
    My best success when I carried my 2 1/4 SP was initially with a Jim Burke belt slide OWB, that I bought from him at Dallas Market Hall show in 2003 - sadly later that year he died. It was actually for a 2" J frame but worked well, even tho a small amount of barrel showed.

I did get Kevin of K&D to make me a copy in same style - I'll see if I have some old pics around. The Burke was a tan and the K&D in a Burgundy. Pics were self taken with some difficulty so far from ideal and the K&D cant is a tad exaggerated because me being twisted!.

What I liked was the generous cant which to me really suits a snub, plus riding high - very very concealable under almost anything. I'd certainly not wish for an IWB for this type of gun.

First the Burke -

Then the K&D -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well.... find a holster that keeps the SP tight to the body....one of the things to keep in mind is the ride ht. If it rides to high...the holster/gun can "fall away" from the body and print..this can also happen with a belt that isnt doing what it should.
    Snubs need more like 20+ degrees of cant. This will make it more concealable.
    Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; October 15th, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

From the pix, I'm guessing a little forward cant would be helpful. Thanks for the input and the pictures.

Otis, have you tried pocket carrying? I have a Mika pocket holster that I carry my 3" SP101 in 80% of the time. I dress around it a little by choosing pants/shorts with roomy pockets. I also carry it in a Concealco IWB holster which is very comfortable if I wear it with pants that are normally loose on me.

I carried mine exclusively with the Clipdraw.

If you can handle OWB, try the Tucker HF-3 (IIRC). That's what I carry my SP-101, 3" in. Hugs tight to the body and is easily concealable under a shirt. Another is a DeSantis Nemesis. It's billed as a "pocket holster", but I carry it with several pistols (several holsters) inside the pants, even at appendix position. Good luck!
    Texas DPS CHL Instructor

Is there such a thing as having too many Glocks???

"You may all go to Hell; And I will go to Texas!" Davy Crockett-1836

I've used an excellent IWB clip holster by Eric Larsen at hbeleatherworks for a few years now. Eric does outstanding work, as do many others here.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Sponsored Links