Higher riding holsters

This is a discussion on Higher riding holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a better way to conceal my 229. I'm female with a bit of extra tummy. I'm fairly tall and long waisted, ...

Thread: Higher riding holsters

Higher riding holsters

I am looking for a better way to conceal my 229. I'm female with a bit of extra tummy. I'm fairly tall and long waisted, but even my highest-rise jeans sit lower than most men wear their pants. (And it may be vain but I don't want to start dressing like my mom in order to conceal)

I bought a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster since it sits far enough down inside the waistband that the grip doesn't print as badly, but after wearing it a few times I decided that I have to wear such a long shirt to cover the bulge at my hip, that I might as well get an OWB holster. Or wear a parka.

I tried my husband's 1911 in an Old Faithful hybrid holster, and found it VERY comfortable, and better concealed with the kydex part on the highest setting. The 1911 is thinner and easier to conceal though.

So, since I'm going to require a fairly bulky cover garment anyway, I'm thinking about ditching the whole IWB thing entirely.

My question is: Looking at either OWB or hybrid IWB holsters, what are the drawbacks for ones that sit highest above the belt? Are they less secure? Do they let the grip flop? Are there any specific ones that hold the gun tighter against the body?

(I do have a smaller gun also that is easier to conceal. But I'd like to have more options to take the bigger pistol with me. I do realize it's not going to be a warm weather gun at all.)

2. Remove Ads

Since you like Old Faithful holsters anyway, I'll tell you my experience. Their OWB holster rides nice and high. It is zero cant, which I like, but you may not. Once it started forming to my waist, it did start allowing the grip to tilt outward. I solved this by attaching some very high density foam (Lowes sells interlocking floor mats made from it) with velcro to the bottom rear of the leather backing. This worked great. I wrote to Old Faithful about it suggesting they add a couple thicknesses of leather in that location. They siad they will look into making such a change.

I am left handed and wear my holster at about 9:00-9:30 if carrying OWB and about 10:00-11:00 if carrying IWB. It is much easier to conceal when the gun is further forward.

I just saw your post in the "dislikes" thread. According to my wife who carries in the 1:00 position, female curves actually help conceal when carrying further forward (I won't go into detail).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Since you like Old Faithful holsters anyway, I'll tell you my experience. Their OWB holster rides nice and high. It is zero cant, which I like, but you may not. Once it started forming to my waist, it did start allowing the grip to tilt outward. I solved this by attaching some very high density foam (Lowes sells interlocking floor mats made from it) with velcro to the bottom rear of the leather backing. This worked great. I wrote to Old Faithful about it suggesting they add a couple thicknesses of leather in that location. They siad they will look into making such a change.

I am left handed and wear my holster at about 9:00-9:30 if carrying OWB and about 10:00-11:00 if carrying IWB. It is much easier to conceal when the gun is further forward.

I just saw your post in the "dislikes" thread. According to my wife who carries in the 1:00 position, female curves actually help conceal when carrying further forward (I won't go into detail).
    I haven't had any other hybrid holsters to compare the OF to. It is a great product for the price, but everyone raves about quite a few other brands, and there's a local guy who custom molds hybrid holsters that are pretty reasonably priced.

There is a specific "sweet spot" that I have found where it is not far enough out front for my tummy to push it outward but no so far back that the grip sticks out the back, with a forward cant (I don't know how many degrees). I set my Remora up this way today and practiced a few draws, and it seems to work very well. I hope I don't have to go through eleventy billion holsters to find one that can set it here and stay. What does your wife carry?

I don't think you will need to go through eleventy billion holsters before you find the right one, but I expect you may end up with enough to fill your dustbin several times.

I have been using an SHTF ACE-1 hybrid holster and it has been quite comfortable. I just recently got an OF holster for a different pistol to see how it would work out. It, too, seems very comfortable. We have a forum on holsters, and there are many fine holster makers that are vendors here on Defensive Carry. I am sure you will find one that meets your needs.

Good luck.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I haven't had any other hybrid holsters to compare the OF to. It is a great product for the price, but everyone raves about quite a few other brands, and there's a local guy who custom molds hybrid holsters that are pretty reasonably priced.

There is a specific "sweet spot" that I have found where it is not far enough out front for my tummy to push it outward but no so far back that the grip sticks out the back, with a forward cant (I don't know how many degrees). I set my Remora up this way today and practiced a few draws, and it seems to work very well. I hope I don't have to go through eleventy billion holsters to find one that can set it here and stay. What does your wife carry?
    My wife normally carries a .357 snubby (Taurus 605). She favors a Fist #K1b holster. This holster is an IWB and is made from thin kydex and has a clip which is attached with velcro. This probably makes the K1b the most versatile (next to the Remora) holster you will find since both the ride height and cant can be infinitely varied.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

To carry a high riding holster required a real gun belt otherwise it will not be stable (flop out) and if the belt connection don't match your belt exactly it will move front to back. That is what I tell my customers looking for my High Slide and many understand that and they order it otherwise I steer them towards something else.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links