Aker Belts

This is a discussion on Aker Belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found this site http://www.copquest.com/24-0500.htm They have the Aker belts on sale for $36 Since they are low priced I was thinking about picking ...

Thread: Aker Belts

Aker Belts

I just found this site http://www.copquest.com/24-0500.htm

They have the Aker belts on sale for $36

Since they are low priced I was thinking about picking one up and trying to add velcro to it in a couple of spots for my V clips.

Anyone know how these belts are made?

2. Remove Ads

I have one of the Aker B21 (1.5") belts, and as a matter of fact I got it from CopQuest.

First, expect that you may have some waiting time before you receive yours. If they don't have the exact combination of color, length, and hardware color you want, it will be a few weeks before CopQuest gets it in from Aker. Took mine about 5 weeks I think.

Galls has them too (galls.com I think), IIRC CopQuest was a little cheaper but neither of them had the one I wanted in stock so I would have ended up waiting either way. But you could check them both to see if you could get it a little faster from one of them.

About the belt. This is my first "real" gunbelt and I have to say, I can't complain. I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but it's been at least a few months, and the belt is still in great shape. The plastic stiffener really seems to do a great job. The finish is holding up well, too, and I don't see any signs of any part of the belt coming apart.

If you look closely at the belt you can see the outline of the rounded tip of the end of one layer of the stiffener, and then a little further up you can see another rounded tip of another layer of plastic. I find this noteworthy because they appear to have used their heads in designing the plastic insert -- if they'd been sloppy and used square-cut plastic I think it would eventually cut its way through the leather and ruin the belt. With the rounded tip, it is prevented from cutting the leather as it is flexed.

Also, I don't think it's mentioned on the web site, but the buckle is attached with a pair of metal snaps so if you wanted to change out the buckle you could just unsnap it, put on the new buckle, and snap it shut again.

I would not hesitate to buy one of these again.

I'm not sure if there's any more detail than this that I can provide. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot. I will have to e-mail them and see if they have what I want in stock. I was very interested in it because I'm looking for something without a wait.

Thanks again

I bought my B21 Gunbelt from www.mypolicestore.com
    I liked it so much I bought the black one as well. Great belt for the money. Here is the direct link. By the way, mine was shipped that day.
    http://mypolicestore.com/store/produ...oducts_id=1001

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar
    I bought a 1-1/2" Akers from CopQuest a few months ago and waited about two weeks. However, it works very well. It's made from two pieces of leather sandwiching a stiff plastic insert. The insert as noted above is tapered at the ends, which come to about 2" of the buckle and first hole. It holds well-made holsters very well, keeping them tight to the body (even my XD45 in a high riding High Noon holster).
    Here's a shot of it. I think it's a great buy.
    Attached Images
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

I have both a black and a brown belt. From Galls about three years age. Both are still like new. And, the price is right.
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

1 1/4" vs. 1 1/2"...

I normally wear dress belts. I have a 1" belt that I don't wear when carrying, and a cheapo 1 1/4" reversable (black/brown) belt that I wear when I am carrying.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Akers in black, and another in tan. My main question, though, is how much of a difference does it make downsizing from the 1 1/2" to the smaller 1 1/4" belt? The belt loops on some of my pants are already snug on the thin belt I'm wearing now. If I went with the wider belt, I'd have to buy some new pants, or see if I could have new belt loops sewn... Not really likely if the tailor didn't have the right fabric on hand.

Any opinions?

Certainly a valid concern. I checked most of my pants before buying, and it turned out they fit the 1.5" fine so I ordered that width belt.

Now I've found out that a few pairs of dress pants will fit a single thickness of the belt, but not 2 thicknesses (which you will need for the end of the belt after it passes through the buckle). I only have this problem with 2-3 pairs though, and I'd rather have the wider belt anyway, so I am replacing the pants.

I just bought a couple pairs of "Cherokee" dress Khakis (which they have in 4 or 5 colors) at Target for $20 per pair. They fit at least 2 thicknesses of this belt just fine.

As for how differently a 1.25" belt would perform, I can't comment on this. I suspect the impact would be minimized by the plastic insert, but I am sure there would still BE a difference too. It's probably going to come down to an economic decision for you IMHO.

Senior Moderator
    Detachment_Charlie,

Nice leather, but I couldn't help noticing the guns, a BHP and a nice 1911 Commander (or is that an Officer?) with spur hammer. Don't won't to hi-jack the thread, but any history on the 1911?

I thought the 1911 was an old Star PD?
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Moderator
    Turns out that it is - I guess I need to pay more attention to detail -

Thanks for the info on the belts.

I ordered another belt from thebeltman to make sure it will do what I need.

It looks like these Aker belts are regularly available for low prices so I may pick up one later and try some self-stick velcro and see how it works out.

Links