Crazy idea for concealing.....

This is a discussion on Crazy idea for concealing..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am applying for my CHP in a few weeks, so I will be spending the next 45 days while I wait to figure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Crazy idea for concealing.....

Crazy idea for concealing.....

So I am applying for my CHP in a few weeks, so I will be spending the next 45 days while I wait to figure out how I want to carry my pistol. For reference, I have a Walther PK380. I plan to carry 24/7 wherever it's legal, this includes at work. However, when carrying at work, I must have 100% concealment, this includes no extra magazines or anything showing outside of my belt. So here's my idea.

I am going to add a snap/loop on the INSIDE of my waistband on my work pants. I plan to carry small of back, as being such a skinny person this seems to be the best place for me to conceal. This would allow me to use a tuckable IWB holster and magazine it inside of my pants instead of the outside, which of course would mean my holster would be completely hidden.

Any thoughts on this idea? I still plan to wear a gun belt to ensure my pants are held up well, and I wear shirts that are quite large and blouse well, so printing should not be a concern. My concern is with the magazines for the holster showing, which would instantly give me away where I work. This would be the end of my employment, so it's really a concern for me.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

2. Remove Ads

You will reconsider SoB carry the first day I'm sure :) Go for 3-4 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Inter9 View Post
    You will reconsider SoB carry the first day I'm sure :) Go for 3-4 o'clock.
    At 6'3" 180lbs soaking wet, with a 32 inch waist, that just doesn't seem feasible. I have tried just sticking my pistol in my waistband, with my shirt tucked in and it just doesn't seem like it would work. I have carried SOB out to the car and sat down in the seat for a few minutes before driving away and it seems pretty comfortable. I have literally nothing around my midsection, and no butt to speak of, so any type of concealed carry is going to be an issue.

What do you think of the loops sewn inside of the pants in order to completely conceal the clips for the holster?
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

If you have the gun already, try your idea around your house to see how it works. I would say smart carry if you need 100% concealment at work. CCW is legal but against company policy on company property?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Lol damn. Yeah I guess if you can try it out, give it a whirl. only way to know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    If you have the gun already, try your idea around your house to see how it works. I would say smart carry if you need 100% concealment at work. CCW is legal but against company policy on company property?
    Precisely. I have yet to work somewhere that didn't specifically state that firearms were prohibited to be possessed by employees. Virginia recently passed the parking lot law so I can at least leave it locked in my car, but that won't do me any good if some customer decides to get sideways with me because they feel ripped off, or an employee starts assaulting me because they don't want to admit they are wrong.

OP, ah, ok.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Hmm, I know what you're suggesting, but I would think that your pants and/or the inside loop would sag or cause the holster to sag. Don't know until you try, though. I think another option to consider would be a belly band. You can carry it high (around the solar plexus area), or lower at the waist, and any location on your "body clock" (hip, back, appendix, etc.).
    pacman likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Consider appendix carry with a sturdy gunbelt. The best have a kydex liner (though many look very dressy for work).

SOB will print badly if you bend down (pulling the shirt tight), and people behind you are more likely to stare at your back. When I spot people CC'ing, it's usually when we are in line someplace and they are standing in front of me, especially if they bend down (ex: in line at a store). SOB is also slow to access and offers poor retention in a crowd (try discreetly covering a SOB gun in public).

Appendix is much faster, hides well on skinny people (just looks like a bit of belly or maybe a cell phone), and offers great retention. People facing you don't often stare at your gut, and you will probably notice more quickly if your shirt becomes untucked in the front.

The big downside to appendix is the whole 'gun pointed at important bits, including your femoral aterty' but that's where it's nice your PK380 has an external hammer and long DA pull. Keep your thumb on that hammer when you holster, and you won't have to worry about 'glock leg', especially in the front!

Good luck, and congratulations on taking the responsibility to carry.
    WoodLark likes this.

A gun that small you could just have in your front pocket in a pocket holster.

Small of back is bad - you can't really see how much you're printing, it's easy for someone to pin your arm when you're trying to draw, if you fall you hurt yourself....there really is no "upside" to carrying in that position.

Smartcarry or Bellyband would be much better options to consider.

Austin

Doesn't sound like employment is THAT big of a concern for you.

You may wish to ponder which is more likely, needing deadly force in the work place or having something unforeseen such as a misplaced bump into someone or having your cover snag on something and expose your firearm?

Usually when someone is terminated for disregarding company policy it's considered an honesty issue even if it's not breaking the law. What kind of referral would you expect after being terminated?

You may wish to consider other means of self defense while working.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

If you value your job, your freedom and your right to carry, you might want to reconsider carrying in forbidden places. Not a good idea at all to subvert any laws or company rules on this issue. It is not only a bad reflection on you but also on the concealed carry community as a whole. Just my opinion...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow247 View Post
    ... but that won't do me any good if ... an employee starts assaulting me because they don't want to admit they are wrong.
    RED FLAG! RED FLAG!

Shadow, I have to take the risk here and point out a serious, serious problem which I pray and hope you'll consider. Honest, I don't do this lightly. I taught high school for 13 years and have been in the work world for over four decades (some work with two different police departments); I have been following these forums for many years. I have a white beard: please listen to me.

All employees will be wrong at one point or another. Count on it: they're human. But:
    1. It is NOT your job to get them to admit it, and
    2. It sure as H-E-double-hockey-sticks ain't your job to get them to admit it if you're carrying.

It is your job to gracefully avoid confrontation. ALWAYS. Or, if you can't, plan on being dead or, at best, plan on a life behind bars: juries crucify shooters if they contributed AT ALL to the incident. You must have ABSOLUTELY clean hands, and your remark above suggests that you may not be ready for concealed carry quite yet.

WAIT! Please, know that I *want* you to carry and hope you'll be able to until you're an old, old man. I'm telling you this right now because I care - please, I beg you, read this with an open mind.

Here's a post from Louis50 which gives the message I want to send far better than I could - and you and I need to memorize it:

"As a gun owner, you have to be cool-headed, more-so than the police ever have to be. You do not ever run around pretending to be the police while carrying a gun because then, stuff like this can happen. You do not start stuff, act aggressively, flip the bird, roll your eyes, talk smack, or even raise your voice to anyone, ever.

A combat instructor (who happened to be Buddhist and a Marine) once said to me:
    "From now on, when dealing with (ed.) crazy / possibly violent people, you will lose every argument. You are always wrong. You are sorry for impinging on their day.

You will apologize and apologize again. You will back the heck down. You will put your tail between your legs. You will let them talk stuff about your lady friend. You will let them call your mother a witch and a hooker, your dad a punk.
    You have no ego. You do all this because if you are the one to start a fight, by default that fight now has a gun in it, and if you start losing, you're going to pull it and kill him.

Even if you don't go to jail because you could convince the jury that it was self-defense, you're going to have to live with the fact that you took someone's life in defense of your pride and ego not your life.

You are not the police, so don't act like them. Though many of you [civilians] are better shots than the police, you do not have the training, the continuum of force policy, a union, plus free lawyers protecting you if you screw up.

In closing he added “After backing down and trying to apologize, if at any time you then feel your life or that of a loved one is in danger, put three rounds into his [cardiothoracic] vault, call the police, call your lawyer, give a statement, go home, and sleep like a baby. You did all you could for your attacker, and he was the one that made the final decision...... to kill himself."

I didn't write this but, as a legally armed citizen, I try to live by it.
    Shadow, I wish you the best. Honest. Please chew on these words.

Also consider the comparative risks of being assaulted at work versus being out of work. My evaluation of my situation is that I'm far wiser to disarm at work. Part of that is because I have a family and I'm up in years; you may come to a different conclusion. But save that discussion for later: please consider the essay above first.

I have to agree carrying where you know you are not supposed to is a bad idea. Career wise as stated but also legally depending on the state law. I work in a no firearms environment as well however the company understands how criminals read the no guns sign and refuses to put one up. Legally you would think i could carry however i could still be prosecuted because i knew the policy. I confirmed this with a lawyer before deciding to carry. I signed the policy. It's the same as if i saw the sign and walked right on past it.

Fyi at 6ft 175 lbs i feel your pain however i found pocket carry in a wallet holster works best. I carry a beretta jetfire as a bug in a wallet holster. I put my cards and cash in a very thin clip in a different pocket. No one has ever asked what's in my "wallet".

.tn is an open carry state so my primary rides iwb or owb . I keep it covered most times but if anyone sees its not a big deal.
    ANGLICO likes this.

Fla
    I am not going to say anything about if you should or shouldn't carry at work. That you will have to decide. I will say of all the choices available IMHO the small of the back is the worst. Get knocked on your back or slip and fall on your back and it can easily be very bad on the spine.
    Put an unloaded weapon in place and lay on the floor on your back and you will see what I mean.
    Pretty much deep conceal is the way to go ( for work ) either a cell pal or smart carry. You could go without a shirt and nothing would show. After work you could switch to whatever you like.
    I will say that if something happens at work and you fire, you're fired.
    Remember the two hunters that were being chased by the bear?
    One asked if they could outrun the bear.
    "Nope, I just have to outrun you."
    So a good option for the no weapon at work, could be practice ducking and running 3 times a week. You're Doctor will be happy with your new found health interest in exercise.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links