Hi y'all! Requesting advice on holster positioning.

This is a discussion on Hi y'all! Requesting advice on holster positioning. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MamaMaria suggested I start a thread seeking advice. Currently I carry Walther PPS AIWB R side in a don Hume holster. I've ordered Kimber 1911 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShrinkWhoCan'tThink

Thread: Hi y'all! Requesting advice on holster positioning.

Ex Member Array ShrinkWhoCan'tThink's Avatar

MamaMaria suggested I start a thread seeking advice. Currently I carry Walther PPS AIWB R side in a don Hume holster. I've ordered Kimber 1911 super carry ultra+. I'm not as happy with AIWB as it pinches when I want to bend over. A big part of this is my weight 240# 5'5". I'm addressing the main problem--weight, but it is a slow process. I currently have excess abdominal fat, which I'm hoping to decrease. My genetic figure type is hour glass and will most likely always have hips!

Clothes: when I first started carrying, this was an issue. I changed carry positions with respect to my clothes, etc. I've since realized that my life is more important than my wardrobe and I've switched my clothes to leaving my shirt tail out. Though I don't like Lane Bryant shirt styles (too girly), most flare out at waist/hips and makes a great way to conceal a handgun. I'm open to most wardrobe changes, except dresses or skirts. I do own a gun belt.

I'm reconsidering shoulder holster. My main concern is that my arm will rub against the gun and or magazine and cause pain, sores, etc. I do like to wear shirts over t-shirts or tanks, even in summer. In winter, I frequently wear long sleeve shirts and or a jacket.

I'm reconsidering an OWB 4 o'clock position. I had previously tried to wear a Springfield armory XD9 in a supertuck IWB 4 o'clock position, but found I was printing just too much. Would consider IWB 4 o'clock with Walther or 1911.

I realize some, probably most, on this website probably have multiple carry positions; while I respect your decision, I have decided that is not for me. I practice my draw, combat reloading, dry firing etc frequently (should be daily), so that in case of an emergency I have muscle memory to depend on.

I'm ok with tolerating some discomfort with carrying (small price to pay to save my life) but will get out of habit of wearing if it is very uncomfortable.

In ideal world will have spingfield in nightstand, Walther in truck (with easy access), and 1911 on my person and practicing all three draws on regular basis.

I'm open to suggestions and even trying more than one holster/position to find the perfect one for me.

Thanks in advance!

LesbianShrink a conservative libretarian, psychiatrist, and wife to the most amazing woman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like the rest of us (or most of us probably) you'll end up with a drawer full of holsters before you figure out the absolute best one for you. It's the price we pay I suppose, because the search it seems goes on and on. Hell, even though I'm very happy with what I've settled on, I'll still check out a new one, when they come out, because like everything, holster technology changes too, and there may yet be a better rig.

You'll probably get lots of advice on this thread, and some of it will be helpful. I'll tell you what I use, and as we're in similar climates, it could work for you too. I've never found an IWB holster that was comfortable for me. I think it's cause I already have to much inside my pants as it is. LOL

After much expense and experimentation, I've settled on the DeSantis Speed Scabbard, worn on a good gun belt, right behind my right hip. This holster snugs up tight to your body, and is best worn with a tee shirt or tank top tucked in, and an outer shirt not tucked in. I carry a Kimber Ultra Raptor (3" 1911) and it disappears. Double or single mag pouch on the off side depending on my day, and I'm good to go. If the weather is cooler, change the light shirt that isn't tucked in for something more substantial. I have these holsters for each of my carry guns, should I choose to carry something other than the Kimber. This holster design also makes re-holstering the pistol with one hand simple, and that's important to me.

I also use a Jackass Leather (Galco now) Miami Classic shoulder holster from time to time. Carries the pistol in a horizontal mode, with double magazines under your right arm (for right handed folks). I use this a lot when I'm riding my Harley, as it's comfortable, and very concealable under a leather vest/jacket. This is also good if you're going to be sitting in a car/truck all day, because it gets the pistol and magazine pouches off your hips. It takes some time frankly, to get used to a shoulder rig. You'll be self-conscious for awhile, concerned about the security of the pistol, etc..., but if you give it time, you can become comfortable with it. I've had mine, and used it a lot over the past 30+ years.

And lastly I carry a Kimber Solo Carry 9mm in my right front pocket always. I wear jeans (I'm retired LEO and no longer have to dress up), and it disappears in my pocket, but I can be standing anywhere, talking to anyone, and have the pistol in my hand, should I need it, and nobody is the wiser. Hard to beat a gun in hand. LOL Have to be conscious of lint & dust bunnies, but for me it works just fine.

Hope this helps some. Happy New Years Eve. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    I use a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro IWB at 3:30 95%+ of the time. When I use a shoulder holster, it is a High Noon Under Taker. Both are very comfortable, conceal well and are easy to draw from.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I think I may have found a position that will work; I am slightly taller but also have a tummy. If I can get the gun to rest about 3:30, with enough forward cant that the grip doesn't stick out the back, this is the most concealable position. It is still a reasonably do-able draw. Some of the deep cover carry methods entail a LOT of draw practice and can still be pretty awkward. I still wear my pants on the low side (I REALLY prefer them below my bellybutton), so an IWB that sits too deeply under my waistband is just way too obvious. If I'm wearing my P238, I can wear just about any top, but if I'm carrying my 229 I need to wear a loose sweatshirt or a longish cover garment (favorite in winter is a hoodie under a vest--lots of room). With a smaller pistol, a cardigan or cardi-vest (if this fits your style) is a pretty good cover garment.

I have the same problem with appendix carry and the exposed hammer on all my guns rubs against my tummy.

I've looked at those bra holsters and frankly I'm not impressed. I've heard a lot of MEN recommend them, but I have not read as many favorable reviews from women. I think you have to have the right shape. It also seems like even the lightest gun is going to drag at your shoulder straps, and it's an awkward draw that would take a lot of practice. But that's just me. There are a few out there who like them.

A belly band or smart carry also provides some options if you are not wearing jeans or pants with belt loops.

One thing to remember is that any new holster requires some draw practice; Even though I'm about average, not significantly well endowed, the girls can provide a bit of an impediment. I've seen some women in videos actually lift it out of the way.

Behind the hip is probably the most used position of both men and women of all shapes and sizes for a reason--it can work well for concealment, as well as access. The PPS and Kimber you mention, while not tiny pistols, have the advantage in the thinness of their single stack grips. The Kimber Super Carry Plus is a bit longer in the grip than your PPS, so the key will be to find the angle at which the butt of grip conceals, yet without so steep of a forward angle that it digs under your ribs.

I understand your decision to keep and maintain the same carry position once learned. It's a wise and logical choice, and I share a similar philosophy in my training. I was not blessed with a womanly body such as yours (I've been blessed with the Olive Oyl with a "midlife midriff" body). However, a trick I've found to help determine a carry position is to buy a Remora or Sticky brand holster such as this: b6a3e7a32e414defb498652266cc056e.jpg

I've used the Remora to "test drive" potential carry postions, ride height, and cant. By using this method, I surprisingly discovered that closer to the hip, rather than further back, with a close to straight drop, was my ideal carry. You may find a similar position, or you may find something completely different than you imagined. Just something to consider.
    Last edited by MamaMaria; December 31st, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I like my Remora for that reason as well.

If you like the 1911 style there are a few manufacturers making a Commander-length frame with an Officer's size grip. I am now obsessed with this, as it seems like a great design since the grip is the hardest to conceal.

There are a few interesting "women only" options on this site: The Well Armed Woman

Good luck in your search - it will be easier since you're actually trying....

Austin

Ex Member Array ShrinkWhoCan'tThink's Avatar

Austin, I went to website, well armed woman, and it is an awesome site! May even order something! Thanks!

LesbianShrink a conservative libretarian, psychiatrist, and wife to the most amazing woman.
    We do not see the world as it is. We see the world as we are. This quote has been attributed to both the
    Talmud and Anas Nin (although an actual citation for neither quote can be found).
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    aus71383 likes this.

Links