Recommendations please.

This is a discussion on Recommendations please. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about purchasing a holster and a firearm to keep on my ankle for summer time carry. I'm 6'1 tall and weigh 240. Any ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaypowell0185
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Recommendations please.

Recommendations please.

I'm thinking about purchasing a holster and a firearm to keep on my ankle for summer time carry. I'm 6'1 tall and weigh 240. Any input would be great.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

NMB
    Cant go wrong with a J-frame from smith and wesson. 642 would be an excellent model.

Product: Model 642
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

DeSantis ankle holster and a Ruger LCP.

Smith and wesson 642 or 442. Or maybe even a LCR
    Brad426 likes this.

VIP Member
    Forget about ankle carry and get a Glock 19 with a good iwb holster.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

While I am not a proponent of ankle carry for a primary weapon, the Renagade Cozy Partner holster is very comfortable. Home Renegade is the origional; DeSantis borrowed the design and call theirs the Apache.

Kahr's are great ankle guns. PM9/40/45 will ride well on an ankle. I like the J frames, but I like the capacity of the semi's.

Either way, make sure you practice your draw.

Re: Recommendations please.

I have considered this before... The small size of the LCP makes ideal for comfort but I feel a revolver would be more reliable... For those who carry the LCP do you have any reliability issues in this carry position? Does the weapon get very dirty or banged around?

Good question. Thank you for asking...

Okay MACC12, do NOT be offended by my observation. It is NOT intended to tweak you. But can you quickly & easily bend at the waist & touch your toes? Can you do 10 reps of squat-thrust? At 6'1"/240 lbs I'm guessing you're not a high-speed, flexible, twitch-reflex kinda' guy. You're likely more of an earth-mover, bone-crusher. If that's true, IMHO, ankle carry puts you at a considerable disadvantage. Yes, it's reasonably handy from a seated position. But presentation from a standing position requires dropping to one knee & then using both hands, one to clear your pant cuff & one to draw your handgun. And if you can't bounce back up from there like a high school cheerleader, you're now facing deadly circumstances...from your knees. There are LOTS of ways to carry concealed. If I were you, I'd reconsider.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm also looking for ankle holster for sub-compact gun. Sccy CPX 9mm. I don't plan on any quick-draw matches, so I am fine with taking the time to pull from my ankle. I'm more thinking of the scenario where I can take cover, retrieve my gun, and then engage the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster24 View Post
    I don't plan on any quick-draw matches...
    You can train for immediately defensive scenarios, you can practice tactics & technique, but IHMO, you can NOT plan...a gunfight. If you're convinced that cover & time are always gonna' be there just because you hope they are, why not simply wish for a nearby LEO as well?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

To me, the ankle carry is a "Happy Medium". I'm not prepared for a quick draw gunfight, but I am prepared to engage a threat. As soon as I get home I strip off my jeans and put on sweat pants because I like the comfort. I think adding an iwb or owb to the jeans would just make them more uncomfortable. And I can still wear my ankle holster with sweat pants! I do plan to get an iwb for summer time shorts though.

Links