Short Review: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2

This is a discussion on Short Review: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I would do a quick run down of the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 for anyone who may be interested. I recently purchased one and ...

Thread: Short Review: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2

Thumbs up Short Review: Raven Concealment Vanguard 2

Thought I would do a quick run down of the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 for anyone who may be interested. I recently purchased one and have had the chance to try it out and get used to it. The Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 is an interesting "holster" for sure. I have been interested in the Vanguard since the first model came out but never got around to ordering one. The original seemed like a good idea as it was basically a trigger guard for Glocks and would be handy when storing a loaded pistol in a bag or around the house. The Vanguard 2 takes that concept and builds on it.

By adding a strut and belt loop the trigger guard now becomes a tuckable IWB holster. It can be placed just about anywhere on the belt but I am finding Appendix IWB to be the most useful/comfortable. It is a very minimalist device and only covers the trigger, the retention is good for what it is though. The pistol seats in with a very audible "snap!"

Drawing is easy, a quick tug breaks the pistol loose. Holstering with the Vanguard 2 in place is not an option. Once the pistol has been drawn the Vanguard 2 must be removed from the belt and attached to the pistol before putting it back in place. Simply line the Vanguard up below the trigger guard of the pistol and press up until it snaps into place. With practice it can be done relatively quick, however it is by no means as quick as re-holstering with a regular holster. Trying to holster a loaded pistol with the Vanguard still in the waistband would be a recipe for disaster and a good way to put a round through your leg/crotch.

I have typically carried a Glock 19 IWB at around 3:30-4 but wanted to experiment with AIWB carry. Since I only carry Glocks and the Vanguard 2 was relatively cheap it seemed like a great option. It would work with all of my 9mm Glock pistols and provide me with a way to try out AIWB carry, a trigger guard for storage of a loaded pistol, and a minimalist rig when carried at my typical 3:30-4 position. By experimenting with the Vanguard 2 I have discovered that I can carry a full sized Glock 17 (with extended mag and Sentinel Designs magwell) under the same clothes that I typically wear when carrying my Glock 19. In fact, the G17 in Vanguard actually conceals BETTER!

It isn't for everyone but it does fill a unique niche for me. I believe it is a good investment for the Glock owner, especially if one is considering trying out AIWB carry or wanting a minimalist set up. I would definitely say the Vanguard 2 is not for people who are unsure about their firearm handling abilities. Having a loaded pistol with nothing but a trigger guard over it shoved down your crotch takes a bit of getting used to .

Now I just need to get some decent sights on that G17 since it's gonna get carried now .

2. Remove Ads

Do you have any problems with this setup when you are sitting down?

Try adjusting the cant so the finger grooves of the gun are parallel with your belt/pants.

I have one of these I use with a G20/G21 and it works well. The concealment is not that great at the high and medium ride heights - but for me it's a tuckable option to my normal appendix carry holster.

That mag well and magazine are huge!

Austin

Jay,
    It's actually pretty comfortable as there is enough play in the soft loop to let the pistol shift around a little. That movement lets the pistol move with your body instead of feeling like you have a section of 2x4 stuck down your pants. Of course that play means you may have to readjust the pistol from time to time, for the most part it stays in the right spot though. It is also adjustable for cant and ride height to improve comfort, concealablity, and achieving proper grip on the draw.

Austin,
    I find that having the grip angled up helps me draw easier. I've experimented around with different ride height and cant and seem to have found the optimal set up for myself but it is still a work in progress as I use it more.

The mag/magwell are indeed large but not nearly as bad as the middle picture make them appear! There is some sort of an optical illusion going on there! lol. They look the most properly proportioned in the picture of the pistol being worn. The magwell is actually quite a bit smaller than most other competition based magwells. It was designed for duty/concealed carry so the fat is trimmed where it can be. Either way, it's 20 rounds on board the gun in an easily concealable package!

I have been using a VG-2 (AIWB) for a few weeks with only one incident. I was out getting some firewood and doing some bending and stooping, later I noticed that the Gun felt like it had shifted. I undid the snap and pulled out the Gun and VG-2. The butt had shifted foward partially exposing the trigger, but still partially attached to the trigger guard. I have repeatedly tried to duplicate this without success. I can only assume I partially dislodged the gun with a piece of fire wood and didn't notice until later. I'm much more careful now when lifting, bending or carrying so as not to repeat this.

Any other problems with the glock unsnapping out of the holster?

Sorry, didn't see your question till just now.

No, I've not had ANY problems with a pistol coming out of this holster. I have used it with a Gen 3 17 and a Gen 4 26.

I use it as a primary way to carry the 17 and a way to carry the 26 as a backup.

Neat holster.

Links