Question for the women.

This is a discussion on Question for the women. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my wife a S&W air weight 38 hammer less. How do most women carry. IWB OWB or in there purse. Can you give ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question for the women.

Question for the women.

I got my wife a S&W air weight 38 hammer less. How do most women carry. IWB OWB or in there purse. Can you give me some ideas thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My wife carries mostly in her purse. She says that most of her pants don't take a belt, making IWB impractical. I have suggested suspenders under her shirt, but she is afraid that they would be uncomfortable for obvious reasons.

I use to carry in my purse all the time. I sometimes still do depending on what I wear. I wear a belly holster most of the time now. I too do not have pants that will take a large belt to hold a gun. Am looking into different pants and then a belt and holster. Have been checking out holsters a lot lately lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

My wife carries a smith j-frame in a remora. She usually puts it in her purse, but sometimes she will wear it in her waistband. She likes the no clip option.

I carry on my person, always (except when sleeping, lol). But then, I've never been a "purse lady." I don't carry revolvers, but I carry my pistols IWB or OWB, depending on what I'm wearing. OWB is the most comfortable for me, and easy to conceal with my winter wardrobe (sweaters, outerwear, blazers, etc.). When I made the decision to carry, I did have to come to terms with having to wear a good, sturdy belt (something that many women are not accustomed to wearing). Other than a good belt, most of my wardrobe was fairly compatible with CCW.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I dress around the gun. Sometimes it's a pain to skip over buying something I want just because it has teeny belt-loops that won't allow a gun belt, but that's one price I'm willing to pay for my own safety (and that of my family).
    I started off with a J-frame...I carried in an inside waistband holster, slightly off center of small-of-back. I did that for about two-years until I switched to a 1911 for everyday carry.
    Now when I carry the .38, it's in an ankle holster.
    I never advocate "purse carry". Purses get forgotten on restaurant chairs, get stolen or snatched, have straps that break, and have too much "digging around" involved to access a firearm in a stressful moment.
    Plus... if someone else gets control of your purse, now they have your home address (from your driver's license), your house keys (to let themselves in), and they're coming to pay a visit...with YOUR gun.
    No thanks.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

My wife carries an LCR or LC9 in her purse:

Beretta in a Concealed Carry Purse?

I don't have my concealed carry permit yet, but have been carrying at home/friends/family's house. I have been using the Foxx holster for a week now, and love it. Just to give you info for size comparison, I wear size 2 pants and carry a S&W Shield. I don't plan on carrying in a purse at all. Here are a couple of pics. Sorry the're not that great, they were taken on my phone.....please excuse the mess in the background! Hope this helps!

This is with a very lightweight cover garment:

Here is my setup without the cover garment:

I always carry on my person as well - IWB, in about the same spot Bekah does in the pic above. From what I've seen most women are pretty split between those who purse carry and those who don't. My personal opinion is whichever way she will carry vs leave it at home is the way to go. Personally, I'm too worried about purse snatchings plus I'm just not that careful with my purse, so I've adapted my dress to carry IWB.

I'll answer for my wife, IWB in a Comp-Tac. Kahr CW9.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

P238 in a Remora or DeSantis Sof-Tuck (depending on if the laser is on or not), when wearing pants will support it, at 4:00. This works with all but tight shirts which I avoid anyway since they aren't flattering.

I just got a Smart Carry and took it running, and on first impression this seems like a good method for exercise or clothing that won't allow waist carry. The edge of the Velcro was a little annoying but the gun stayed put comfortably, with room for a spare mag, phone, key & ID. I have a belly band too and that is nice as it can keep the gun in the space behind my chest and beneath my arm.

I also have a Remora for my P229 because it is a good way to experiment with different locations. So far 3:30 or 4:00 with a significant forward cant is the best way to hide the bigger gun, but it still requires a large cover garment. For all day carry I'm ordering an Old Faithful IWB holster.

Some other items on my list are the concealed carry tank top, and possibly a shoulder rig.

Some things that did NOT work were appendix carry (if I was thinner this would be a great option) and small of the back carry (uncomfortable and prints easily).

Hope that helps.

Question for the women.

Search for Remora on YouTube and watch the +\-20 minute video that has a lady talking and showing how she carries while wearing various things. I think the video shows up in search results with her in a swim suit. I made my wife watch it after I did since we are both getting ready to get CHL's.

I also carry on my person, with a Foxx IWB. I don't like purse carry because what happens if your purse gets ripped off?

Quote Originally Posted by Chavak View Post
    I also carry on my person, with a Foxx IWB. I don't like purse carry because what happens if your purse gets ripped off?
    You like the Foxx? I just checked them out and they are significantly less expensive than most of the other brands' similar designs.

My wife carries in a purse for now....

I got her a Flashbang for her Glock 26 - she can conceal it easily, but I'm going to get her an LCP and a Flashbang for that too since I think that will be more comfortable for her. Better to have a small gun than no gun. She understands carrying on her person, but wants to look cute and not wear cover garments etc...

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links