Crossbreed Appendix Carry

This is a discussion on Crossbreed Appendix Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out about this holster from another thread about AIWB holsters in general, and have been considering purchasing it. I was wondering if any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Crossbreed Appendix Carry

Question Crossbreed Appendix Carry

I found out about this holster from another thread about AIWB holsters in general, and have been considering purchasing it. I was wondering if any of you have actually used this holster, yet (it is relatively new), and what you think about it. Any reviews out there from my fellow DCers?

Thanks in advance.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    First I don't have that particular holster, but I do have a CrossBreed Super Tuck and a Galco King Tuk of semilar design and quality. The CB, IMO, is a holster of good quality, offers good fit/comfort, low cost but takes toooo long for delivery after the order is placed. On the other hand the Galco line is available at most gun stores, i.e. Gander Mountain and at a lesser cost. Will I purchase another CB? Yes, and most likely the one in question.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I looked at it online and don't like the single clip design and style, it's just way to big horizontally. It's a lot of $$ for a simple holster. I have a MrSofty by High Noon that costs much less and works very well. It ships right away and is very well made. The quality was so good I bought a belt later that is great also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I carry "appendix" all the time these days - and although I haven't ever seen one of these except in pictures, it looks like a bad design.

They just took their normal holster, made it a straight drop, and cut a clip off of the leather backing.

Maybe it works great. I think there are lots of better options out there though.

What are you planning on carrying?

Austin

I have a Springfield XD-S (single stack .45). I carry it AIWB, but have not found a holster I liked yet. The problem I have in finding a good AIWB holster is finding one that doesn't have so much "bulk". The XD-S is slim for a reason, and I don't want a holster that takes away the advantage of it's slim width.

That gun is quite small. Should be pretty easy to conceal.

Factors of course are: your gut, where you position it, how high you wear you pants, belt quality, etc...

I'd get one of the High Noon clip ons for now - they keep them in stock and they're about $30. How high do you want it to ride?

Austin

In general, I don't like single clip designs, and I especially do not like them when the clip is offset. I found the an Old Faithful "Belly" holster (similar design to the regular crossbreed, but cheaper in stage 3 kit form, with adjustable tension, and faster to get) works very well as an appendix holster
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    That gun is quite small. Should be pretty easy to conceal.

Factors of course are: your gut, where you position it, how high you wear you pants, belt quality, etc...

I'd get one of the High Noon clip ons for now - they keep them in stock and they're about $30. How high do you want it to ride?

Austin
    It is easy to conceal. Hardest part is every holster I've used so far removes its ease of concealment.

I have no gut, I want it to sit basically between my belt buckle and my right front pocket, I wear wranglers around my actual waist, and I want it to ride as low as possible.

I'd prefer a hybrid holster, as those seem to be the easiest to conceal for me.

Re: Crossbreed Appendix Carry

Guess I'll put my 2 cents in since I have actually owned this holster, wore it for a week and while I loved the quality and fit the placement of the clip made it unusable since it always wanted to be directly over my fly/zipper which added too much bulk and made wearing a belt difficult. Traded in for a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock which I love though I would take the crossbreed back if they changed the clip placement.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
    Vuva3rae and Holster like this.

Thanks MikeyIdaho, that's the first actual review of this holster I've seen anywhere on the internet (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, though). Your input is very much appreciated. That's exactly what I feared about the clip placement, just needed to know from an actual user if it was true. I'll look into that Comp-Tac since you suggested it.

pittypat21 take a look at the Blade Tech UCH here Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster :: IWB holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries
    I carry a P7 in one everyday AIWB and am very pleased. Might work for you.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

I have a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock - the clip being offset from the gun allows the gun to tilt a bit. This can be good or bad, depending on what you want. The kydex they use it quite thick. I haven't measured it, but it looks like .125" to me. My other IWB kydex holsters are made of material about half as thick. I've never tried a "hybrid" holster.

Austin

I mostly carry appendix, and I suspect that design would not work well for me.

I heard an interview with crossbreed on GunTalk, and they discussed that design. Said it was designed to ride at approximately 2:00, which makes sense due to the clip placement. I think for that to work (for you to be able to sit down without the gun digging into the crease of your leg), you would have to wear either the gun your pants pretty high.

I prefer more of a 12:30-1:00 position, with the gun pretty low (front edge of the grip just above the waist of the pants, just a touch of cant), so I have been making my own single loop/clip holsters (similar to the MrSofty in the previous post).

My big breakthrough was getting a good kydex reinforced gunbelt that carries the weight and stabilizes the position.
    pittypat21, aus71383 and Vuva3rae like this.

Crossbreed Appendix Cary Review

I have been wearing my new Crossbreed Appendix carry holster daily for almost two months.

I previously carried my Glock 19 Gen4 at 3:30 with a Comp-Tac MTAC and a Glock 26 Gen4 with my Galco Tuc-N-Go.

When I first started wearing my Crossbreed Appendix holster, it was awkward to say the least. The wide leather backing just felt differently than what I was used too. It took about 3 weeks of constant wearing to break the leather into the shape of my body. As most of you know, the comfort of any holster is a combination of the gun you carry, the belt and your body shape.

After wearing the Crossbreed Appendix holster for 3 weeks, I switched back to my Galco for comparison. I quickly realized that the Crossbreed was more comfortable because it distributes the weight of the holster across a wider area where my Galco is only the width of my actual gun and the pressure was more concentrated in comparison. I carried the Galco for 2 days before going back to my Crossbreed and I used it every day since which is almost 2 months now.

Every holster has some Pro's and Con's but these are also different depending on the user itself. So I am going to share what my Pro's and Con's are with my overall conclusion in the end.

Cons.

Tension:

The first thing I realized is that the tension was not as tight as I like. Crossbreed mentioned that they adjust the holsters to fit a middle ground between loose and real tight. The good thing is that the tension is adjustable but it's not done by tightening a screw like many others. You must take out your hair dryer and heat up the trigger with the gun in place to get the kidex to soften just a little. You then apply pressure and let it quickly cool to adjust your tension. You can also do this to loosen it if you like. Crossbreed gives you instructions on how to do this and it's not difficult at all, but I list it as a con because it takes more work than other holsters. Once I corrected the tension on mine, it works perfectly to my taste.

Clip adjustment:

The Crossbreed clips can be adjusted and it's not too different from other holsters. The reason I list it as a con is because the washer has teeth that dig into the leather when you move its position and tighten it. My Comp-Tac Mtac uses a screw system that does not dig into the leather when you make these adjustments. This may be very minor because you normally adjust it once and never change it again, but the fact that it digs holes into the leather itself when you adjust the clips, I listed it as a con, although it's a small thing.

Holster position options:

Because the holster has a wide leather back which makes it more comfortable after you properly break it in, the options of where you can place your actual gun in the Appendix area is very limited. You can't really adjust the position that much because the one clip design and the width of the leather only allow for slight position changes. I happen to like where the position falls which is right about 2 o'clock. This gives me the best conceal ability by keeping the grip in a slight angle toward my hip and it allows for good leg movement. This will vary for each user and although the 2 o'clock position works for me, I only think it's fair to list this as a con when compared to other holsters that don't have the wide leather backing.

Pros

Construction:

This is not a surprise to anyone who knows the quality construction of a Crossbreed holster. You can expect the same level of quality with the smaller Appendix style. The kidex is very thin which helps in comfort and conceal ability. The leather is a great quality and has a rough inside to prevent it from moving. The rivets are very solid and the leather is cut to allow a full grip when drawing your gun. The leather also protects the slide from touching your skin which is also comfortable.

Single Clip design:

The single clip design at first looked like it was not going to be that great until I started using the holster for weeks. The single clip design allows you to cant or angle the gun if you wish and the holster remains very stiff and stable. A good belt plays a role here that should not be overlooked. When you carry appendix and sit down at a restaurant or your car, the single clip design allows the holster to swing up and provide the extra space needed for your leg when seating. When I am ready to stand up, I simply reach down and swivel the right side of the holster back down to the correct position and it's unnoticeable. The clip is adjustable which gives you some options on how far down or up you like to carry the holster.

Front Sight Channel:

The holster has a high front sight channel that allows stock sights or after market sights plenty of room without rubbing on the holster.

Combat Cut:

The combat cut allows you to get a full grip on the gun and it also prevents any leather from touching the mag release button which is very important.

Re-holstering:

The kidex is very thin but strong enough to keep it open during re-holstering. Even when I am wearing tight jeans with a strong belt tension, it stays open. (Please don't think skin tight jeans. lol )

Position Options:

I may be confusing some of you here but let me explain. The appendix holster can be used at the 3:30 position or small of the back position. I would not recommend for this to be your dedicated 3:30 holster, but in a pinch, if you wanted to carry at 3:30, it works.

Tuck-able:

This is an important feature to many so I just wanted to mention that the holster can be worn with a shirt tucked in.

Conclusion

Initially the Crossbreed felt very different than anything I used before. It took about 3 weeks to start breaking it in and getting to appreciate its comfort and excellent build quality. The more I used this holster, the more comfortable it becomes. The end result for me is a great holster that is very comfortable and provides a quick and smooth draw. I can walk around the house all day with this holster with no issues. I won't say it's the best appendix holster made because that would suggest that I have tried them all, but it is a great choice. Don't judge a holster unless you wear it for 1 to 2 months in various conditions. The search for the perfect holster will never end and I don't think such a holster exists. Just find one that works for you, your body shape and the gun you choose to carry in it.

Be safe and shoot straight.

Proximo

Thanks for the review proximo for the review. I have that one and the supertuck on order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links