Any compact 1911 recommendations?

This is a discussion on Any compact 1911 recommendations? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Freemen You asked the question better than I did. I didn't get any bites. I had read some bad press on the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Any compact 1911 recommendations?

Re: Any compact 1911 recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Freemen View Post
    You asked the question better than I did. I didn't get any bites. I had read some bad press on the smaller 1911 pistols dated a few years ago. Have they worked out all of the bugs?
    You really can't tell until you buy one. I mean one gun may be flawless and the next one of the same model might need to have the feed ramp polished or something. Smaller 1911s do need a break in from my experience too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Freemen likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

I had a colt defender. it was a piece of crap. It was ammo picky and I couldnt get it to group for anything.

Re: Any compact 1911 recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by zchance View Post
    I had a colt defender. it was a piece of crap. It was ammo picky and I couldnt get it to group for anything.
    Like I said, some of them need a smith to do a bit of work on em.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member
    Can't go wrong with the Kimber or a Guardian from Dan Wesson.
    virg likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

compact 1911

I personally carry a Colt 1911 New Agent and love it. I have carried and shot glocks rugers s&w etc. Bought this one for, CC. 3" barrel, channel/gutter sights, 17oz weight, 45cal. Took a few practice shots to get used to no standard sights but once zeroed wow! I can consistently hit center mass at 50'. Rule of thumb in self defense is 21' or less. It is single stack 7 rnds but for CC self defense perfect and looks good too.
    45.jpg

Colt New Agent 1911 is very tight. It has a recommended 400 round break in. I have approx 300 rnds through mine so far, good groups, no mis-feeds, or operational issues. Shot 230grn ball rounds, and a couple mags of Federal hydra-shock HP to make sure the ramp would feed hollow points flawlessly. My low end Colt military would not feed hollow point without ramp modification.

Another vote for the Colt New Agent. I just went through this same ordeal about two weeks ago...was down to four pistols, Springfield EMP, Kimber Ultra Carry, Dan Wesson Duty One and a Colt New Agent/Defender. I was pretty much set on an EMP when I went to the gun show...had a chance to handle all of my choices but the Dan Wesson...I ended up with the Colt New Agent Talo edition, has XS Big Dot sights...I really liked the way the Kimbers felt, but after about an hour of fondling, I chose the New Agent, primarily based on the way it felt, it was all black verses stainless, it had defensive carry sights and just happened to be in the caliber I was looking for...the pathetic 9minimeter!

This will be my daily carry once I am comfortable it is sufficiently broken in...it just feels great!

Quote Originally Posted by zchance View Post
    I have a Colt Defender.
    It's my EDC. Stone-cold reliable.
    All I did to it was polish the feed ramp, but IMO I've seen
    few 1911's that don't benefit from a feed ramp touch-up.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    I have a Colt Defender.
    It's my EDC. Stone-cold reliable.
    All I did to it was polish the feed ramp, but IMO I've seen
    few 1911's that don't benefit from a feed ramp touch-up.
    I also have a Colt Defender. I have run everything through it and it shoots great. It is a .45 ACP and is a very recent manufacture. I am very happy with it. I use Froglube and keep it clean. It is light and easy to conceal. Great gun.
    finst3r and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I second the RIA compact suggestions. And you'll save about $500 that you can spend on ammo.

I have a full size RIA and I wouldn't hesitate to put my trust in it, if I could carry it without pulling my pants down!
    Two words

GOOD Suspenders <--will keep pants up
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I carry a Colt New Agent and a Rock Island compact (in 9mm)as part of my C/C rotation. Both I trust with my life. There is a vast difference in price here. The Rock Island has been a great weapon with zero issues. The New Agent (also no issues) is lighter but shoots NO better. I actually think I would buy the Rock before the New Agent in your case. They have GREAT customer Service should you need it and you can make additions to the pistol should you want to (like getting new grips. The stock grips on a Rock are pretty hideous).

Carry a Citadel (RIA cousin) compact 90% of the time and I've had no problems that weren't mag related. Also shoot it better than my Colt Commander (probably due to having put more rounds downrange with the Citadel). It is a heavy sucker, but a good holster and belt do wonders.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdstroud View Post
    Colt New Agent 1911 is very tight. It has a recommended 400 round break in. I have approx 300 rnds through mine so far, good groups, no mis-feeds, or operational issues. Shot 230grn ball rounds, and a couple mags of Federal hydra-shock HP to make sure the ramp would feed hollow points flawlessly. My low end Colt military would not feed hollow point without ramp modification.
    Where did you get the 400 round breakin info? Did it come from Colt? I have never seen or heard of a recommended breakin period for any Colt. They've been building sub compact 1911's since the early 80's and they have it pretty well covered. If any new Colt right out of the box won't reliably feed ball ammo it needs to go back to the factory. You said you had 300 flawless rounds through it so far. Don't you think it's reliable enough to carry? What happens if round 301 malfunctions? Do you start over? A couple hundred more and you should be thinking about a spring change. Your "low end" Colt Military was not designed to feed HP's without modification. Most newer Colts will feed anything you put in them. Both my New Agents will feed mixed mags of 230 ball, 230 HP, 200 SWC and 185 HP's. It's not smart enough to know the difference or it doesn't care. Every company produces a lemon but it should go back home so the builder can make it right. Colt CS is very good. Am I a little biased? Yep, been carrying, shooting and fondling Colts for about 40 years. Have yet to own a bad one.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Where did you get the 400 round breakin info? Did it come from Colt? I have never seen or heard of a recommended breakin period for any Colt. They've been building sub compact 1911's since the early 80's and they have it pretty well covered. If any new Colt right out of the box won't reliably feed ball ammo it needs to go back to the factory. You said you had 300 flawless rounds through it so far. Don't you think it's reliable enough to carry? What happens if round 301 malfunctions? Do you start over? A couple hundred more and you should be thinking about a spring change. Your "low end" Colt Military was not designed to feed HP's without modification. Most newer Colts will feed anything you put in them. Both my New Agents will feed mixed mags of 230 ball, 230 HP, 200 SWC and 185 HP's. It's not smart enough to know the difference or it doesn't care. Every company produces a lemon but it should go back home so the builder can make it right. Colt CS is very good. Am I a little biased? Yep, been carrying, shooting and fondling Colts for about 40 years. Have yet to own a bad one.
    I can guarantee you the "break-in" recommendation didn't come from Colt.

Since the OP hasn't been back since the day he posted this, he must not have anymore interest in the thread.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links