My First Homebrew Holster

This is a discussion on My First Homebrew Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my very first attempt at making a CCW holster for My Ruger SR9c. Be gentle...my ego bruises easily. Just kidding...give honest feedback so the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My First Homebrew Holster

My First Homebrew Holster

Here's my very first attempt at making a CCW holster for My Ruger SR9c. Be gentle...my ego bruises easily. Just kidding...give honest feedback so the next one will be even better!!

I bought a leather jacket (dedicated for CCW, but can be worn when not CCWing too!) at our second hand store for $12.99...yes, TWELVE dollars and 99 cents!!
    I made a pattern using a paper grocery bag and transferred it to my piece of leather. I cut out the leather and I hand stitched the holster using waxed thread. I placed the holster inside the jacket where I wanted it and canted it for easy withdrawal and used a leather punch to punch through the holster and jacket so the snaps would line up nicely. I put one half of the snap permanently on the jacket (male part) and the female part of the snap on the holster. All you have to do is snap the holster into the jacket and slip the SR9c into it. I made this mainly for when I'm driving. Much more comfortable than IWB or OWB and having the pistol poking me in the leg when seated.

I need to do some minor sanding of the leather yet, but it seems to be working good so far.

Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ah, the mother of invention. If it fills your need, all the better. Nothing says a "concealed" holster has to be pretty!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think you did a good job. Very inventive. One thing you want to keep in mind is a good firing grip. You want a good firing grip right away when you draw and not have to shift the grip after you draw.
    Best regards
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ah, the mother of invention. If it fills your need, all the better. Nothing says a "concealed" holster has to be pretty!
    Are you saying it's ugly? Since it's my "child", I think it's lovely! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder perhaps...

Ace
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I think you did a good job. Very inventive. One thing you want to keep in mind is a good firing grip. You want a good firing grip right away when you draw and not have to shift the grip after you draw.
    Best regards
    I was sensitive to that fact. I designed it and then trimmed small bits here and there just for that reason. It's hard to tell in the photos, but I am able to grab the grip right off and am ready to go with it. Thanks for the kind words...I know it's not pro quality, but this is the very first time I've picked up a slab of leather and went to town on it!
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I like the design, But if it were mine Id have put it in the pocket for better conceal ability. Almost like a leather lined pocket, but fitted to the gun. I would also add a retention strap, But I tend to move a lot! DR

Did you use pull the dot snaps? My only concern would be using non directional snaps and having it come unsnapped if you ran into a door frame or something. Or am I the only one that does that?

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Did you use pull the dot snaps? My only concern would be using non directional snaps and having it come unsnapped if you ran into a door frame or something. Or am I the only one that does that?
    I just got them figured out and thought the same thing.

To the OP, you may or may not be interested in doing this but wet forming the leather would help with retention as well. Just a thought. Neat idea. Welcome to the addiction.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I was thinking about one way snaps too. It would be unfortunate to be getting out of the car and have the seatbelt snag on something and the whole deal go plunk on the ground.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I like the design, But if it were mine Id have put it in the pocket for better conceal ability. Almost like a leather lined pocket, but fitted to the gun. I would also add a retention strap, But I tend to move a lot! DR
    Yup...I was thinking the next one may very well have a retention strap. I did a pretty good job of sizing it and the gun fits pretty snug but I suppose if you're running or something, it might be able to pop out. Hopefully, I'll already have it out when I start running!

I did think about using that inside pocket but had a hard time getting the cant that I wanted and the gun grip would have ended up right about at the zipper line with the 10 round magazine. The 17 round mag would have gone past the zipper line. Plus, it would have been a bit too high for me to draw without hitting myself in the face.

All good thoughts, though...thanks for taking the time to respond!!

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Not sure what "pull the dot" snaps are. I used snaps called "Line 24" snaps from Tandy Leather. They have two sizes, Line 24 (bigger) and Line 20 (smaller).

I do try to avoid walking into doors if at all possible.

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I just got them figured out and thought the same thing.

To the OP, you may or may not be interested in doing this but wet forming the leather would help with retention as well. Just a thought. Neat idea. Welcome to the addiction.
    Oh yeah, I plan to wet form it around the trigger guard. That will definitely tighten it up even more. I'm still in the "walking around, testing stage"...

Oh...and I'm FULL ON in my holster addiction!
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I was thinking about one way snaps too. It would be unfortunate to be getting out of the car and have the seatbelt snag on something and the whole deal go plunk on the ground.

Austin
    As long as I keep the jacket zipped about halfway (so it's zipped up to about the top of the gun), I don't think it can snag the seat belt. Will be "testing" it in as many scenarios as I can think of in the next couple weeks.

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Not sure what "pull the dot" snaps are. I used snaps called "Line 24" snaps from Tandy Leather. They have two sizes, Line 24 (bigger) and Line 20 (smaller).

I do try to avoid walking into doors if at all possible.

Ace
    Pull the dots are a name brand for a directional snap. They can only be snapped or unsnapped in one direction. Very nice for something you really don't want coming undone.

Holster looks pretty nice. My only question/worry: I know when I carry something heavier than a pen in a coat pocket, my jackets seem to slouch on the one side. Become more uneven or hang lower on the side that the heavy object is. Does the gun/holster do this to your jacket when carrying?

Just a thought
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links