Get a feel for IWB without a holster? - Page 2

Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

This is a discussion on Get a feel for IWB without a holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a Remora. You can play with different carry positions all day....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

Get a Remora. You can play with different carry positions all day.
    MamaMaria, MrsHB and BillK01 like this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    Would just tucking my weapon into my WB without a holster - assuming I can do so safely - around the house and whatnot give me a good idea of whether or not IWB carry is for me?

Just curious.
    That is exactly what I did w/ an unloaded gun. Just make certain your belt is snug enough to keep the gun from falling down into you pants. Spent a fair amount of time actually around the house. Sitting, standing, working in the garage, reaching high, bending, stooping, cooking, mowing the grass, you name it. 4:00 hurt my butt, just didn't like 3:00 or small of the back. Finally settled upon aiwb. Bought two specifically made aiwb holsters for my ruger sr9c and lc9 and couldn't be happier.

Also, experiment w/ different ride heights and cants. I like straight in with the grip just slightly above the belt line

I bought one leather holster based on reading alone before doing what I just described. It is the only holster in my "drawer of holsters". There is no wrong answer here, just your preference.

hth

+1 on a Remora no-clip holster. Best $25 you can spend to figure out how and where you want to carry IWB. It's my "around the house" holster, "in the glove box" holster (when I have to disarm to go to the post office, school, etc.), and "quick walk to the corner store" holster. I completely understand your frugality in not wanting to make one expensive holster mistake after another. Heck, for many of us, the upfront cost of a pistol purchase was financially straining to begin with. Getcha a Remora or similar, learn how you like to carry, and save up for a nice "permanent" holster that meets your requirements. Good luck.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I'm 5'11" and 225lbs, with a pretty decent gut and love handles. I carry IWB at ~8 o clock (4 for a righty) pretty much every day. I started with an XDM in a crossbreed supertuck, recently needed smaller and more concealable so I got a kahr cm9 and didn't want to spend as much on another crossbreed, found ozark holster, and quality is just as good, for half the price Ozarks Holster Company | Quality Holsters Made in USA and as others have said a quality holster is night and day from carrying without, and also night and day from a cheap single clip nylon or other soft side holster. The two clips and leather backing really disperse the pressure well. A quality belt also goes a long way. IWB is great, if you do it the right way.

Phillip

Welcome aboard. I also carry a 250 compact{not sub} i picked up a black hawk nylon iwb to try out. It does not compare to the old faithful leather backed kydex holster i eventually bought.

What you can do is go to a local shop, look for the iwb style holster you have in mind. Bring it to the counter and ask for the gun that fits it. Try it on. Try to find a similar size gun as yours but this will give you an idea of the different options. I have 3 holster for my carry guns. Iwb style holster, owb holster and cheap nylon sleeve ... the cheap nylon sleeve comes in handy for storage in glovebox or general transport in a range bag.

Also it's worth noting the weight of a loaded mag significantly changes the weight and balance of your gun. Keep that in mind.

cj
    In case it hasn't sunk in yet, the 'news' section of this site has many stories about people accidentally shooting themselves or others...and some digging shows that many of them are people carrying IWB without holsters.

+1 on Remora. You'll use it, whether as an EDC or not. So it's not cash wasted. And it's flexible enough you can try out any IWB carry position.

Plus, you'll never be stuck with a Remora in your D.H.G. (Dead Holster Graveyard) 'cause they refund your money without the first quibble or question. Be that as it may, they're STILL not getting mine back!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered a no-clip Remora per some recommendations here. I've also already heard of Ozark holsters and am thinking of going that route once I've tried the Remora for a while and am more confident about my preferred carry position.

Now if I could just decide on my next handgun purchase...

VIP Member
    You have already gotten a lot of good advice telling you that you should never stick a gun in your pants without a quality holster which guards the trigger so I won't address that.

For an IWB holster get a MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg

For under $20 you can change out the kydex when you change your carry gun so as your gun collection grows and changes, your MaxTuck can change to accommodate your new carry choice.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered a no-clip Remora per some recommendations here. I've also already heard of Ozark holsters and am thinking of going that route once I've tried the Remora for a while and am more confident about my preferred carry position.

Now if I could just decide on my next handgun purchase...
    Guess I was too late...I should have read all the posts before posting.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    No, tucking a pistol inside your waistband (IWB) without a holster is not the same.

I've had good luck with Crossbreed & my fav Milt Sparks VM2 IWB holsters.

Update:
    My Remora arrived. Great advice on that one by the way. I've been trying all sorts of different IWB positions with that one around the house. Wore it all evening last night and SWMBO had no idea (great concealment). I'm sure if she would have noticed, she would have asked why I was wearing my pistol.

I'm preferring the location of an IAWB position - or about 1:00 - BUT, my barrel is poking me in the pelvis some. Probably my gut pushing the grip out, causing the barrel to poke some.

I'm wondering if a crossbreed type with the big leather piece would help that so it wouldn't poke as much. Is that type of IWB holster designed for IAWB carry? Thoughts/experience appreciated.

...I carry a P90 Ruger AIWB strongside...in either a leather or nylon holster with spring clip...I remove the clip and keeper material, and re-sew it close to 1" higher on the holster...this lets the gun sit lower in my belt...making it conceal much better..butt hugs me better...and is just as quick to draw...comfortable all day long...I just lost about 50# and it's comfy slim or not...the holsters are less than $15...to me, well worth the effort...the nylon's washable when it gets too sweaty...

I can't find a way for AIWB to be comfy. It was never a real drive, but I was interested in the option. I gave up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links