Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

This is a discussion on Get a feel for IWB without a holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once I have my permit, I expect to carry some or a lot, or maybe always. I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I haven't bought/tried any ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

Once I have my permit, I expect to carry some or a lot, or maybe always. I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I haven't bought/tried any sort of holster. And I don't have the scratch to buy a bunch of different styles. Ideally, I would like to buy one and love it forever and never change - HA!

I'm leaning toward IWB, possibly AIWB (though I have a gut and a fat, double stack carry weapon).

Would just tucking my weapon into my WB without a holster - assuming I can do so safely - around the house and whatnot give me a good idea of whether or not IWB carry is for me?

Or, would it be a bad idea because just tucking a handgun in your WB without a holster is nothing like doing so with a holster?

Just curious.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Tucking a gun into your waistband without a holster is dangerous. There is nothing to prevent it from either falling out or slipping down your pants. The only way to get a feel for an IWB holster is to get one. A little digging around on this board and you will find many recommendations.

VIP Member
    Kind of like bungy-jumping into a river with out a bungy cord.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Re: Get a feel for IWB without a holster?

I would head down to the LGS and look for an Uncle Mike's or Blackhawk Nylon/neoprene IWB holster. I did that to check the viability of IWB on my large carcass with a full size double stack auto. It has worked well for me, and I will now check out more permanent IWB holsters that have the characteristics that I have found I like. These holsters can be had for $13-$20 and actually can be carried with a lot of different cants and positions, including AIWB......good luck
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    surefire7, Eagleks and Once like this.

DeSantis SOF-TUCK
    adjustable cant, and great quality for the price. < $20-$25 >

Sponsor
    Just tucking the gun in the waist band (unloaded, around the house just for comparison) isn't and accurate reflection of what a quality holster will offer you. A quality holster helps hold the gun tight to you and shields your body from the pressure points.

Check out SHTF Gear LLC to find the holster that works for your handgun. These holsters are designed for strong side carry (3 to 5 o clock position) and are very comfortable.

feature-small.jpg

Thanks!
    Clay
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    Would just tucking my weapon into my WB without a holster - assuming I can do so safely - around the house and whatnot give me a good idea of whether or not IWB carry is for me?
    no such thing. as was mentioned, besides being bad for a number of other reasons, it wont give you a good sense of how IWB carry is like. I currently use an inexpensive nylon pouch style IWB holster with the black spring clip.. it works surprisingly well, and has started to form to the gun. no retention tho, which isnt ideal.

But i at least have an idea of what i like and dont like, and can look for a good quality IWB holster that fits those requirements. If i tuck the pistol into my waistband without the holster... its no where near close to the same.

and my personal recommendation, unless you only bought your CPL for purchasing, or transport laws reasons (as i originally did in MI) if you're going to get your CPL/CCW/CCP whatever they're calling it and youre going to carry even a little, you should carry a lot.. as often as possible.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    For me, absolutely not. I like having the safety on my 1911 covered. and don't want to be "that guy" who fumbles his weapon or has an ND. I don't feel good about pocket carry with the LCP without a pocket holster covering the trigger either. If you are going to play with the big boys, suit up properly.
    Go ahead and tuck your bare weapon into your belt, UNLOADED but cocked and locked. Carry it that way for a week while doing normal things like yard and house work and tying shoes. If it does not get dropped or have the safety disengaged I would be surprised.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Mexican Carry (waistband tuck w/o holster) is a BAD IDEA at best. The experience will give you a "good idea" of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because it's NOTHING like IWB carry in a well-designed holster with a quality gun belt. Please, PLEASE reconsider & abandon this notion. You are a member of his forum and, as such, have a responsibility NOT to be a poster-child for the anti-gun crowd. That's exactly what you'll be if you shoot yourself or someone else around this foolishness. Heck, we'll have a Holster Telethon fund-raiser if you're that broke. What kind of handgun is it?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Knew I came to the right place. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Heck, we'll have a Holster Telethon fund-raiser if you're that broke. What kind of handgun is it?
    Sig p250 sub.

From what I've been reading, you guys go through holsters like ammo. I have no problem with paying good money for a (singular) quality holster. Just trying to avoid one holster on my waist and 364 in a drawer.

I am pretty sure that the NFL Wide receiver (Plaxico Burress) that shot himself in the leg a couple of years ago was carrying gangsta' style.

That should give you a feel for how good an idea carrying a loaded weapon without a holster might be.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Mexican Carry (waistband tuck w/o holster) is a BAD IDEA at best. The experience will give you a "good idea" of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because it's NOTHING like IWB carry in a well-designed holster with a quality gun belt. Please, PLEASE reconsider & abandon this notion. You are a member of his forum and, as such, have a responsibility NOT to be a poster-child for the anti-gun crowd. That's exactly what you'll be if you shoot yourself or someone else around this foolishness. Heck, we'll have a Holster Telethon fund-raiser if you're that broke. What kind of handgun is it?
    I agree with ghost tracker except the Telethon part. You should have thought this through: $475 for the gun + permit fees + a high quality holster + 100 rounds min of high quality SD ammo + 1,000 rounds of practice ammo + some training. So be patient, save up to get properly prepared before you carry. In the meantime there is a ton of quality info on the net, just learn to sift through the BS. btw my holster choice would be a Crossbreed Supertuck, but aside from that, I would NEVER wear a soft sided IWB.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

For IWB, you're going to need to figure out what position at which you want to carry, and whether you want a no-clip (e.g. Remora), one clip (e.g. Desantis SofTuck), or two clip (e.g. Kholster Little Moon or the enormously popular Crossbreed SuperTuck).

Position-wise, the vogue in tactical training these days seems to be strong-side appendix, e.g. 2:00 for a right hander. I personally find cross-draw much more comfortable, and carry at about 10:00. This limits my holster choices a great deal, as I need a very adjustable cant.

I've settled on a Desantis Sof-Tuck for days when I need to take the gun off frequently, and a Kholster Little Moon for days when I can put the gun on and wear it all day. But the Sof-Tuck only works for my J-frame, not my LCR, so I'm about to spring for a D.T. Bullard tuckable IWB made specifically for that gun. At $90 plus shipping it will cost more than the Desantis and the Kholster combined, but they're beautiful and I prefer the LCR to the Model 30 for every day.

I'll second the suggestion to get a cheap Uncle Mike's neoprene holster to use to figure out position and type preferences. That's what I did. And I still use it from time to time.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Distinguished Member
    I WOULD never put a loaded gun in my pants without a holster, and I don't think the OP was talking about that either. Come on guys, he's just trying to get a feel for where on his waist will work.

I agree with your initial idea. That's exactly what I did when I first thought about where I would carry a gun inside my waistband. I got my UNLOADED gun, double checked that it was unloaded, then checked again.

Then I just put the gun in my waist and moved it to different positions to see where felt the best. I quickly discovered that appendix carry was WAY better than everywhere else. Then I tried out sitting, walking, bending and all that with it. So in about 20-30 minutes I found out for myself that appendix carry was best for me. I have been carrying there ever since once I got my holster a few weeks later.

Now that said, with an actual holster it is alot different, but I think you can figure most of it out with a unloaded gun in your waist.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links