Thunderwear! Are YOU wearin'? - Page 4

Thunderwear! Are YOU wearin'?

This is a discussion on Thunderwear! Are YOU wearin'? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two years carrying a P3AT in a smart carry. I tried a J frame but found the cylinder bulge a bit too much for me. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thunderwear! Are YOU wearin'?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Two years carrying a P3AT in a smart carry. I tried a J frame but found the cylinder bulge a bit too much for me. I'm slender, 157lbs, 5'7" and don't like tuckables. Too many people do and will notice clips and snaps on a belt when nothing else is there. Also, Tuckables only work if you leave the bottom of the shirt rather baggy. If you're dressing shart and have a fitted shirt, no way. Anyway, the smart carry works for me with the diminutive P3AT. Anything bigger and the end of the grip starts to print. Now if you're a really BIG guy or just a good size guy with loose enough pants with heavy fabric I think you can carry larger but it isn't easy to get to them unless the waist is not too tight. Sitting down; well it's real hard to draw, however, it is real good for times when you have no cover garment and simply can't be made.

God Bless
    Gideon

Wink my smartcarry

I carry with a XD40SC or my PT145MP in a smartcarry. As you can see by these pics it is very easily hidden and comfty.

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fsto9.jpg
    http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontlg9.jpg

steve

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got two SmartCarry holsters and I love them.

I guess this puts me in a distinct minority. It goes to show you that different things work for different people and you've got to experiment and find out what works best for you.

They flat-out don't work for some people, but for me they are really the ticket. They completely conceal even pretty big guns, I can draw faster than with the IWB's I've tried and they aren't uncomfortable for me at all. As with any holster, the smaller the gun, the easier to carry and the more comfortable.

But nothing works better for me, and I can't imagine an easier, more effective way to conceal a handgun, especially a pretty big one (like a 1911 or full-size XD45 or a full-size Witness 10mm).

VIP Member
    I've used my SC holster for the better part of two years now, to tote different types of guns. They are a good idea, as long as you are aware of their limitations (draw speed, no tight pants and reholstering difficulty).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The smart carry is a great hoster for us fat guys. If your gut hangs over your belt, a belt holster can be uncomfortable.
    I wear sweat pants when off work in the winter and shorts in the summer so it works out well.
    Plus if you need to adjust it your risk of being made is less.
    It looks like a manly junk adjustment.

I've carried some sort of weapon (firearm) for over 35 years. Today, I carry a K-40, 16 to 18 hours a day, everyday using either Thunderwear or Smart Carry. I'm not a small fellow, weighing about 218, 5'10, I sit a lot and this is by far the best holster for me. My particular personal hardware is never inline with the muzzle, sitting or standing. So, I don't worry about a change of voice. The biggie would be a thigh shot that snags the femoral artery. That truly would ruin your day. I carry locked and cocked, and after a while, you will not know it is there. Printing? Not a problem. Draw? 2 sec or less, sitting or standing. As with all holster systems, practice, practice, practice!
    God Bless the USA

I've got one, only used it the regular way a few times, and it was fine. Carried a G19 and a 3" 1911. It does not point at your junk.

I didn't like the slow access though, sooo.

I slung it around so the pouch was in the 3:00 IWB position or so, hoisted the straps a bit higher, and PRESTO: Instant, clipless, perfectly tuckable IWB Holster! This way gave me a full firing grip on the handle, and was very quick to draw. Concealed with a tight tshirt or, as mentioned before, tucakble.

I used it this way to carry IWB with kakhis and a tucked in polo shirt. Absolutely invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by jamz View Post
    I
    I slung it around so the pouch was in the 3:00 IWB position or so, hoisted the straps a bit higher, and PRESTO: Instant, clipless, perfectly tuckable IWB Holster! This way gave me a full firing grip on the handle, and was very quick to draw. Concealed with a tight tshirt or, as mentioned before, tucakble.
    Good point. Works SOB equally as well!!
    God Bless the USA

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msg usa View Post
    My particular personal hardware is never inline with the muzzle, sitting or standing. So, I don't worry about a change of voice. The biggie would be a thigh shot that snags the femoral artery. That truly would ruin your day. I carry locked and cocked, and after a while, you will not know it is there.
    I don't use my Thunderwear much anymore (it did something uncomfortable to the muscles in my lower back and sacrum to have it on for hours a day). But I was carrying a GLOCK 27 in it. I was confident that nothing, and no body motion, was going to actuate the trigger.

I don't have experience with 1911s or any other pistols that can be carried "cocked and locked," BUT, the idea of that mode being carried in Thunderwear kinda spooks me. I have heard of people having the safety click off in other holster systems... It makes me that much more wary of cocked-locked carry if it's in soft fabric like Thunderwear, with lots of friction possible. I would worry about motion and rubbing (the Thunderwear rides tight, you know) disengaging the safety on a cocked-and-locked piece. Opinions? I know you're out there disagreeing with me, somebody!

smart carry

I too, doubted this carry method until I tried it. It is now my preferred carry method for my j frame or glock 26. Very comfortable and concealable. It is also easier to draw from a car seat than IWB or OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't use my Thunderwear much anymore (it did something uncomfortable to the muscles in my lower back and sacrum to have it on for hours a day). But I was carrying a GLOCK 27 in it. I was confident that nothing, and no body motion, was going to actuate the trigger.

I don't have experience with 1911s or any other pistols that can be carried "cocked and locked," BUT, the idea of that mode being carried in Thunderwear kinda spooks me. I have heard of people having the safety click off in other holster systems... It makes me that much more wary of cocked-locked carry if it's in soft fabric like Thunderwear, with lots of friction possible. I would worry about motion and rubbing (the Thunderwear rides tight, you know) disengaging the safety on a cocked-and-locked piece. Opinions? I know you're out there disagreeing with me, somebody!
    OK, since you insist, I disagree with you.....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    On each occasion that was quite literally the only way I could gain deep - really deep concealment.
    Really deep concealment, huh? I hope you didn't have those things on backwards!

These panties give a new meaning to the term cocked and locked.

As for me, I have not and will not wear something when my gun is pointed at my two best friends. I don't care how much faith I have in it.

P.S. After you carry your gun in these panties do you go to the range and shoot the $h!t out of it?
    Last edited by walther1; November 16th, 2006 at 10:48 PM.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

The jewels? I'd rather carry in condition 3 than not at all.

Do these things work while your doing 40 minutes at the gym on the eliptical? (Laugh it up. It keeps your 40 year old knees from wearing the heck out!)

even if the safety on a 1911 was switched off, the grip safety would still have to be depressed so....
    While one random object got inside the trigger guard and pulled the trigger, another random object would have to depress the grip safety. This is all of course after the manual safety got flipped off.

With a Glock it would only take one of those random occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Thunderwear, Smart Carry are both the same. I really don't like them other than deep concealment times of need. Or possibly for a back up. I would not carry my primary like that ever, it is to slow to draw and has the potential to snag on something. Although I hear good things about it for those who carry this way everyday, I just don't see pulling your weapon in a self defense situatuion with that "almost" holster.

Plus, I don't care who you are, that gun she is concealing is going to print and she will look as if she has man goods down there with tight short's like that.

Ti.
    I just love hearing advice from a guy who has never worn one. (DUH)

I can draw from mine just as fast as from my IWB rig. My gun has never printed. I carry either a XD40SC or a PT145MP in it.
    It is not an almost holster. When you own one I might be interested in your input. Until then "sit down, shut up and hold on"

steve

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links