Homemade "combat cut" for the CrossBreed SuperTuck? (Ever done it?)

This is a discussion on Homemade "combat cut" for the CrossBreed SuperTuck? (Ever done it?) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my CrossBreed SuperTuck shorty with the horsehide in the mail today for my M&P 40c. I love it, it really distributes the weight ...

Thread: Homemade "combat cut" for the CrossBreed SuperTuck? (Ever done it?)

Just got my CrossBreed SuperTuck shorty with the horsehide in the mail today for my M&P 40c. I love it, it really distributes the weight of the firearm nicely it is SUPER comfortable. My only complaint is the horsehide backing is right in the way when drawing the firearm! Now I guess I could train myself to draw my gun differently with my thumb along the back of the gun, but I don't like the idea of that because chances are I won't think of that in a time of stress and I already trained myself to draw with a positive handle on the grip.

So I guess I should've got the combat cut. So at this point I don't want to deal with exchanging and waiting for a new/modified holster when I'm pretty sure I could just go ahead and cut the horsehide myself. Have any of you ever modified your SuperTuck to be a "combat cut"? If possible could you post some pictures so I have an idea of where I should cut. I guess I could look on the CrossBreed website for reference pics but just curious as to what the homemade combat cut looks like.

Thanks everybody God bless

2. Remove Ads

You can return your holster to Crossbreed and they will do a combat cut for you. Read the Web site...

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    You can return your holster to Crossbreed and they will do a combat cut for you. Read the Web site...
    Don't want to return it. Read my post...

Just close your eyes, cut, and pray.

Or as sculptors say, just imagine where your hand needs to be and cut away everything else.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Just cut away the leather under the grip, go a little at a time until it suits you. You will do ok?

Worked on my Kholster

I did a combat cut on my Kholster the first day I got it. I traced the outline of the pistol with a pencil then took out the trusty Buck. It only took about 5 minutes. It is for a Glock 23
    Attached Images

I wore mine for about a week and doing so showed the contact points (magazine release, etc). I then took a pencil and traced my own combat cut making sure to leave the contact points in tact. Cut with an xacto knife, like a hot knife through butter.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Don't want to return it. Read my post...
    Just sayin... Crossbreed will cut your holster, don't need to reorder, or you can cut it yourself no skin off my nose..

I did one on mine, I put my gun in the holster, got a full grip on it and traced on the back where it no longer touches my hand.

I then used an exacto knife and cut the leather off.

I refinished the edge by rounding off the edge a little with the exacto.

From there I got the edge a little damp and rubbed a pencil over the edge to burnish it. There's tons of videos on youtube about burnishing leather edges.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

To be quite frank I was feeling the same way when I got mine it is for an XD 5" also in horsehide.

After a break in period the very top of the sweat guard actually lightly curves over the rear of the slide.

When I draw I am able to obtain a full grip with my all my fingers, my thumb is actually located behind the leather sweat guard,

high on the slide as if I would need to sweep off a safety that is not there

(everything I carried for many years had one and I still instinctively go through the motion).

I still obtain a full controlled grip and do not notice it anymore.

I wear mine at the 4:00 to 4:30 position and am thin.

I no longer think about doing a combat cut and am glad I did not.

You may wish to give it some time and practice with it before a modification is in order,

after all you can remove the leather at any time and after it is broke in you will have a better idea of where and how much to take off,

secondly I believe it would be a lot harder to put the leather back on than it was to take it off.

Obviously just my opinion and two cents
    Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Links