confused on right or left hand

This is a discussion on confused on right or left hand within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ordered a galco jak slide for my stoeger today thinkin I needed right hand because I'm right handed. When it came in the gun fits ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SHTFGearLLC

Thread: confused on right or left hand

Unhappy confused on right or left hand

Ordered a galco jak slide for my stoeger today thinkin I needed right hand because I'm right handed. When it came in the gun fits nicely but appears to be made for the left hand side of my belt, should I have ordered left hand in order to draw with my right , any info or advice.

It's easily recognized if they sent you the wrong hand draw. It would put your gun backwards on the side you plan to draw from lol. Being right handed, the only reason I would want left hand draw is if I'm planning to carry in the small of my back. Even then, right hand draw is doable, but a palm out draw there takes less flexibility

The only direction the gun fits nicely on my right is with the grips/handle facing forward, if that makes any sense seems it should face the other way.

Sponsor
    Sometimes the way holsters are made feels unnatural to a new shooter (not sure if you are a new shooter or not). With a right handed holster, if the holster is on your right hip the grip of the gun should be facing the rear. You thumb should be against your body when you draw (a "palm in" draw).

Sometimes people get a right handed holster, put it in the 6 o clock position and they expect a "palm out draw" because it feels natural from that position (but is not recommended for multiple reasons). Most right handed holsters will require a palm in draw.

Good luck,
    Clay

Sponsor
    Jak-Slide-SM.jpg

Do you have the belt on the outside of the holster? This is a pretty unique style, so it may not be intuitive. The gun is actually between the belt and pants.

Thanks!
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Jak-Slide-SM.jpg

Do you have the belt on the outside of the holster? This is a pretty unique style, so it may not be intuitive. The gun is actually between the belt and pants.

Thanks!
    Clay
    That actually looks cool!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Clay you just confirmed what my wife has been saying for years, I am a complete idiot. I did have the belt on the inside between the holster and jeans. I admit when I'm wrong and I was way off I greatly appreciative your help and the shop that sold it to me owes you too. Kept me from going back looking like a dumb you know what. Once again thanks.

Hooray! happy ending

Glad you got it figured out.

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wives are like that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by abrewer View Post
    Clay you just confirmed what my wife has been saying for years, I am a complete idiot. I did have the belt on the inside between the holster and jeans. I admit when I'm wrong and I was way off I greatly appreciative your help and the shop that sold it to me owes you too. Kept me from going back looking like a dumb you know what. Once again thanks.
    Haha, it happens! As I said, that is a particularly uncommon design, any one of us could have made the mistake.

You are certainly welcome!
    Clay

Does the holster not collapse when you draw?

I like it but it seems like holstering would be tough.

It does but that is not a worry. The belt pulls the piece in tightly and the center of gravity is closer to the body. The weight does not pull the belt down. The snug fit means there is no need for extra retention. Since it is likely that the gun will never leave its home, re-holstering is not an issue. It does take two hands the first time, but the belt is loosened when dressing. I have one of these and it carries my 1991A1 easily and comfortably.

Links