Stature, gun size and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Stature, gun size and concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Krav.... Well Ill tell it to you straight. Cons of SOB carry: Most newer people who think small of back sounds/looks/would work really good and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stature, gun size and concealed carry

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Krav.... Well Ill tell it to you straight.

Cons of SOB carry: Most newer people who think small of back sounds/looks/would work really good and try it...dont like it.

For driving/sitting...it borders on painful at times.

Youll hear about people saying that if you fall...you risk spinal injury and most will say thats a bunch of crap...but my dad fell in the winter a while ago and Ill tell you its not crap! He really hurt his back and still suffers.

As far as the Slow motion situation Gary brought up earlier...this is right up there with appendix carry. But this can be overcome with a massive amount of practice...making it habit.

The Pro's: It conceals very well in a standing position and if the bad guy is in front of you then he'll never see your gun.

Advantages over strong side carry arent any IMO and really as a maker and someone who carry's a gun everyday...all day. Strongside has everything to benefit and gain over SOB....

Shoot well and god bless......
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

2. Remove Ads

As far as holster choices, I've found over the years that even different pants will change the way you carry. I've had IWB holsters that worked well with ne pair of jeans but not with another. or some casual slacks I could use one rig with but not the one I use in jeans.
    Each gun/pants/holster combo can work differently and conceal better or worse.
    ya gotta experiment and see what works.......get a large box ready, your gonna need it.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Jeff,

IMHO you should try a smaller pistol and a different/better holster. While my G22 conceals fine (IWB, behind dominant-side hip) while I'm standing straight as a board (I'm about the same size as you), the moment I bend or turn, or sit, I'm screwed. Glock 26 has none of these problems and just makes for an easier life.

If you pick up a Glock 27 (or 23), you could always use your 22 mags as spares.

As for SOB,
    http://www.thegunzone.com/sob_is_bad.html

Some of the big name custom manufactures will not make them do to possible spinal injuries if tackled or falling down.

Hears a direct Quote from http://www.miltsparks.com/.

How come you don't make small-of-the-back or SOB holsters?

We personally believe small of the back carry to be potentially hazardous to the user, and for that reason we will not manufacture or modify a holster for use in the small of the back. Besides the obvious potential for spinal injury if you should fall on your gun, there are other disadvantages to consider. If you spend any time sitting during the course of a day, you will find that having a large chunk of metal situated in the middle of your back to be quite uncomfortable. Bending or stooping can cause the gun to print more readily then when the weapon is worn closer to the strong side. Economy of motion when drawing your weapon (important both for speed of presentation and the element of surprise) is seriously compromised when drawing from the small of the back. Finally, a weapon worn in the small of the back is near impossible to protect in the event of an attempted snatch.
    I can go on and on with reasons why I believe you shouldn't carry in the small of the back, but I am also aware there are folks who are convinced they cannot conceal a weapon in any other place. For those individuals we are more then happy to recommend other makers who share a different point of view then we do on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by KravJeff View Post
    Thanks everyone - Eric, appreciate the personal advice. Gary I'll be in touch.

One last question (with all due respect to your advice on strong side only): Any thoughts on a "horizontal" small of back rig? I've seen pictures, but never actually used or even seen one "in real life."???

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=gunmetal;217095]Jeff,

IMHO you should try a smaller pistol and a different/better holster. While my G22 conceals fine (IWB, behind dominant-side hip) while I'm standing straight as a board (I'm about the same size as you), the moment I bend or turn, or sit, I'm screwed. Glock 26 has none of these problems and just makes for an easier life.

If you pick up a Glock 27 (or 23), you could always use your 22 mags as spares.[QUOTE]

That's kind of what I thought intuitively, however yours is the first post that seemed to suggest switching gear ... Guess I'm off to do some comparitive shopping before my team plays this afternoon, and weigh what I find with all of the great sdvice from everyone.

Thanks all!

You're not alone on this one. However, I am 5'9'' weighing at about 230lbs. Believe me, the back was the only place my gun could conceal perfectly, but knowing that one day I would accidently land on it (since I pretty clumsy) prevented me from pursuing it any further. I am still trying to decide on holsters. I am even thinking about getting a Clip Draw but I am not sure. The link is embedded so you can check out yourself. They even make them for Glocks. There is also the C.T.A.C that I am thinking of getting. Just refrain from appendix (unless you have practiced so perfectly that you can do it in your sleep) or ankle holsters, since I don't think the perp will allow you to "tie your shoes". Best of luck and let us know what works with you.

I'm a fairly small guy (5'7" 155) and would prefer from a tactical/concealment standpoint to carry IWB at the appendix position. The only handgun I currently own is a full size .40 (Glock 22), and the only place it's comfortable is outside my pants, on my hip or back.

<snip>

Am I expecting too much, hoping that I can function in day to day activities and not notice it's there? Is there some discomfort that I should have expected and just need to accept? Maybe I just need to go to a smaller firearm (considering a Glock 27 or 36 or different maker?) but am not exactly tripping over bags of money at my place
    I am fairly close to your stature. I am 5'9" and 155lbs (even skinnier than you!), and I am able to carry my HS2000 (4" XD) at about 8:00 - 8:30 (I'm a southpaw) in a IWB holster. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB with a slight forward cant, and I have even fallen asleep on the couch with it on. That being said, a smaller gun would still be easier to conceal. In fact, I'm on the hunt for a XD40sc once my CCW permit comes in next January. Forget about appendix carry unless you want to risk being nicknamed "Lefty".

I'm off to do some comparitive shopping before my team plays this afternoon, and weigh what I find
    I forgot to mention, you would do well to read this page before making up your mind and laying out any cash:

http://www.spw-duf.info/holster.html

Best of luck, let us know how things work out for you!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links