Stature, gun size and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Stature, gun size and concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings: I'm not new to shooting, but only recently recieved my CCW. I'm experimenting with different ways to carry, and stuggling a bit. I'm a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings:

I'm not new to shooting, but only recently recieved my CCW. I'm experimenting with different ways to carry, and stuggling a bit. I'm a fairly small guy (5'7" 155) and would prefer from a tactical/concealment standpoint to carry IWB at the appendix position. The only handgun I currently own is a full size .40 (Glock 22), and the only place it's comfortable is outside my pants, on my hip or back.

I have a Blackhawk CQB that I love, but it (obviously) has to be worn on my hip, making it more difficult to conceal. I've seen some of the low profile, kydex IWB holsters that look great, but I think the gun itself may be too long for my size (barrel tends to smash the groin, especially seated).

Am I expecting too much, hoping that I can function in day to day activities and not notice it's there? Is there some discomfort that I should have expected and just need to accept? Maybe I just need to go to a smaller firearm (considering a Glock 27 or 36 or different maker?) but am not exactly tripping over bags of money at my place ...

Any insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Assistant Administrator
    Jeff - take a peek at this thread

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6794

In that I have this diagram below. I did that to exaggerate how shape can maybe influence choices. The broad shoulder shape tends to make a useful space the way clothes hang and so OWB can work well - my basic shape.

The ''pear'' shape however puts more body in mid section and so clothing has to hang over that with less free space, and so IWB might be needed.

I do find IWB basically lacking comfort, compared with my OWB - plus my life style makes OWB easy and ideal. I doubt tho anyone should have to suffer actual discomfort if all carry components well chosen.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I find IWB behind the hip (4 0 clock) or so works well. A holster with some cant forward helps hide the grip better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well in all honesty....you want what we all do. But CCW is about compromise.....pretty much in everyway.

Appendix carry is an acquired taste so to speak. I make a holster just for such a carry location and its limited by your body type and gun size....you dont want to carry a G22 there....just isnt feasible for most people.

As far as OWB carry on the hip or slightly behind it....well, your doing alot better for comfort/gun access IMO.

Id think about carrying IWB @ 4-4.30 with proper cant and rd ht...for either gun you mention. Concealment, comfort and gun access are all about as good as you can get...FOR MOST PEOPLE.

Look around and see what suits your needs and let us know how we can help.....

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Eric pretty much summed it up better than i could have imho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    I've tried more holsters and types of holsters than I want to admit. My experience is pretty much what Eric described. OWB on the hip is more comfortable than IWB anywhere.

But, having said that, I also find that IWB, WITH THE RIGHT HOLSTER, is pretty comfortable at that 4-4:30 point Eric mentioned.

Also the gun makes a difference. I can carry a 1911 IWB more comfortably than any other gun I've tried. I'd say it's because the 1911 is "flatter" (thinner) than most guns.

Eric, I agree with your suggestion, but one part of it puzzles me...but what is "rd ht" that you refer to in:
    ...with proper cant and rd ht...
    I've thought about all the abbreviations I can, but can't find the right one. I'm now guessing "ride height"...is that it?
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Assistant Administrator
    Ride height is how I interpreted it Jimmy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sorry...I get in Holster Maker mode and forget I take short cuts sometimes.... :D

Yep...proper ride height is not really a product of your height/weight...but how you are proportioned IMO.

The very condensed version would read like this.....

Dont choose a rd ht that WONT work for you...IE, If you are long armed and short waisted....dont pick a high riding holster..unless you want to pull it out of your armpit upon presentation.

Same goes for long waisted and short armed...no low ride for you! See what I mean?

And then there is always PERSONAL PREFERENCE when ride ht is concerned also...

Hope that makes sense.......

Shoot well and god bless

Hey Eric,

Not to side track the thread but I was wondering if you could help me "pick out" a rig for myself and maybe I can get you to build it.

I "think" I know what I want but with your holster making knowledge and me knowing my body type/limitations/other we may be able to come up with something.

Looking for a holster, not necessarily "molded" to a set pistol but one that will hold: Kimber pro-carry, Sistema, Bolister Molina, Star Model Super and maybe the USP 45f (the USP may not be able to be done but all the other model of 1911's are basically the same).

If interested, please PM me :) .

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I've tried more holsters and types of holsters than I want to admit. My experience is pretty much what Eric described. OWB on the hip is more comfortable than IWB anywhere.

But, having said that, I also find that IWB, WITH THE RIGHT HOLSTER, is pretty comfortable at that 4-4:30 point Eric mentioned.

Also the gun makes a difference. I can carry a 1911 IWB more comfortably than any other gun I've tried. I'd say it's because the 1911 is "flatter" (thinner) than most guns.
    Thanks everyone, for your insights ... Tangle - For you, what is the "right" holster? The only IWB that i own is an "Uncle Mikes" that just doesn't work for me.

Thanks again

Eric has given you some really good advice. I might add that appendix carry (IMHO) should be reserved SOLELY for persons who have already experienced a real world firefight, and can deal with the "Tachy-Psychia" effect. Here's why: Tachy Psychia is that slow motion condition that you may have experienced in a car wreck or other life threatening situation. One of the other characteristics is that the muscles in the hands/forearms tend to clench involuntarily. The result is that a fairly large percentage of people will actually discharge their firearm as soon as the trigger clears the holster when under the stress of a life and death assault. If you carry strong-side (HIGHLY recommended), you'll burn a butt cheek and maybe shoot a hole in your pants if this occurs, and the round goes safely into the ground behind you. If you are carrying in the appendix position, you'll most likely blow your "family jewels" out the seat of your pants, and/or sever a femoral artery and die on the spot.
    I have never, ever talked to a professional trainer who recommended ANY position other than strong-side for primary carry.
    Given how you are built, I'd look for an IWB or OWB that carries a bit low - as Eric stated, avoid a "high-ride" holster like the plague. I would also look for a holster with a cut down front edge - that will further facilitate a nice, smooth & short draw stroke.
    We do phone consultations at no charge - please feel free to call and we can discuss your situation in more detail. Good luck!

Gary....great information. I remember reading up on that a while ago...somewhere....anyway.
    Gary is an excellent resource to have and will tell it to you straight and offer great advice at the same time.
    Glad to help out with what I can.....
    Shoot well and god bless

Thanks everyone - Eric, appreciate the personal advice. Gary I'll be in touch.

One last question (with all due respect to your advice on strong side only): Any thoughts on a "horizontal" small of back rig? I've seen pictures, but never actually used or even seen one "in real life."???

Thanks again.

SOB...

I like this method...
    Sheeesh...this is going to start a few comments...

Just carry any way that...YOU...feel comfortable, and practice presentation!

OMHO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links