Printing - different places, some thoughts

This is a discussion on Printing - different places, some thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a M&P40c. Until now I have pocked carried it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, #4. I just got a Crossbreed supertuck system ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonJ

Thread: Printing - different places, some thoughts

I carry a M&P40c. Until now I have pocked carried it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, #4. I just got a Crossbreed supertuck system for it so I am trying that out. I like it so far but I have an observation regarding printing.

My pockets always bulge because I carry a lot of stuff with me - wallet, lots of keys/keychains, knives, multitools, USB drives, pens, and pads of paper, you get the idea. When I throw my gun in my front pocket it's nothing out of the ordinary for me. There is no "gun profile" visible, just 3 points - the muzzle, rear sights, and bottom of the grip/mag. If you triangulate it you can figure out what it is, but the pocket holster blocks enough of the profile (barrel through the finger guard) that you really can't "see it".

My Crossbreed system lets me tuck my shirt in - which I really like. I can take my coat off in the office with a nice tucked in, button down shirt and it "works". However, the bottom of the grip/mag protrudes a bit behind me.

If you consider the two options, the bulge in my pocket isn't anything out of the ordinary, but a mag protruding behind my shirt can only be ONE thing

The Supertuck is too big/wide to get in front, otherwise I may be able to solve that problem.

Has anyone else thought of that?

2. Remove Ads

honestly i never worried about printing, I go iwb with 5in 1911 with loose shirt over. I still print a bit but since OC is legal here, i never cared much.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

How noticeable is the print? Look in a mirror and see just how much your printing.
    I don't own one of those holsters but I'm pretty sure you can adjust the cant. Try adjusting the cant and see if that helps.

adjusting the cant forward as much as possible will bring the front corner of the grip up and closer to your body, causing it to stick out less.. thats what I have to do when carrying IWB.

Other than that, ive made sure that my cover shirt (dress shirt or casual) is darker color, preferably with vertical pin stripe if dress, or dark with a stylized pattern of some kind on the casual shirt.. if no pattern, then make sure it fits loose enough to drape over you and that its darker.

although ive been able to carry IWB with the pointy grip on my Bersa 9mm while wearing grey shirts, some closer fitting than I like..and it works. Sometimes just letting the shirt kinda bunch up naturally hides it very well. The big thing is to not draw attention to that part of your body.. that'll take care of 75% of it.. unless someones standing behind you in an elevator or similar arrangement, they'll likely not even be paying attention.
    Aceoky likes this.

I've been paying attention to the printing the past few days and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue, except for when I sit down in a chair and when I tuck my shirt back in after a bathroom run. I have to remember to leave slack in my shirt, if I don't (like today) the whole grip of my gun printed through the shirt.

I have a crossbreed holster I use for my glock 23 and 19, I fixed most of the printing issue that occurs with plain shirts by adjusting the holster as follows, for right hand:
    front loop moved to top
    back loop moved second from bottom

I carry this between 4 and 5 o'clock and it's fine standing and walking in a regular shirt, but sitting, I think will always be an issue if you carry a more full sized gun and want to wear more fitting clothes. With a jacket, I am fine, and larger shirts are ok too.

Appendix carry helps as well for avoiding printing, but you need to have the right gun, no cant holster and body type.

If you blouse your shirt tail some, no one will see it.

When I see somebody printing, I see a gun. Seeing a gun = not concealed. I prefer to carry concealed, so I try not to print. YMMV.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by relsiswb View Post
    If you blouse your shirt tail some, no one will see it.
    That's what I have been doing. I caught on to that a day or so ago. I had my shirt tucked in tight in the back and the printing was quite obvious. I pulled my shirt out a little, loosened up, and I was fine.

I haven't played with the different holes yet. I will have to try that. Tonight I am packing for a backpacking trip so it won't be until Monday or Tuesday that I can get a chance to play with that. I'm curious to see what happens.

Links