SIG P238 CC for a Skinny Guy

This is a discussion on SIG P238 CC for a Skinny Guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search but didn't find any specific thread on this topic so I am starting a new one. I have recently switched over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SIG P238 CC for a Skinny Guy

I did a search but didn't find any specific thread on this topic so I am starting a new one.

I have recently switched over to a SIG P238 (IWB), from a Walther PPK (AIWB), as my EDC. I chose these due to its size and concealability (thin). I also prefer an all-metal pistol and hammer-fired (all my pistols are that way). Also, I am 5'7 and 150 on a good day. Anything bigger would be bulky for me and it would print.

So now I am searching for a good IWB for the P238. The SIG OWB holster, that comes with the P238, works fine in the fall and winter when I wear a sweatshirt or jacket. As for IWB, I've narrowed down to the hybrid type for comfort and to remain as thin as possible. Below are some of the options I am looking at. Just want to get some of your opinion or feedback.

- Crossbreed MiniTuck - Scaled down version of the SuperTuck

- Crossbreed MicroClip - 1 clip version of the MiniTuck (not sure how secure it is with 1 clip)

- Hidden Hybrid Holster (HHH M1) - A hybrid that can be worn IWB and OWB.

I've found several others hybrid holsters in my search on this forum - Foxx, SHTF, etc. I would love to hear your FHE on these, as well.

thx,

Tony
    Last edited by Goat_Herder; January 15th, 2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Editing OP

You will definitely get many responses on this topic. I've been carrying by Glock 27 in a SHTF hybrid holster and have been pretty pleased with it. I have also carried it in an all kydex holster from Foxx. It is the "Trapp" model. If you want the bare minimum in a holster all kydex is the way to go, but you cannot go wrong with a hybrid holster.

All those holsters look like they will be too wide or unstable for AIWB carry. I think you'd be best served by a dedicated AIWB holster. I just looked at my two favorites (so far) Dale Fricke and Custom Carry Concepts - neither makes holster for the 238 at the moment. Something that attaches on top of the gun is preferable to something "wide".

Here are some examples in leather - look at #4 and #6. IWB Holsters Desbiens Gun Leather

I suggest looking over on pistol-forum.com as well - they have a couple very detailed AIWB threads with lots of reviews on different holster makers etc.

Austin

and Hi Tony!

Sorry guys, I re-read my OP and realized that I had made a mistake in my description. I originally carried the PPK with AIWB. I am looking for a IWB for the P238 to carry at 4:00.

Thanks, Austin, for the info.

VIP Member
    Get a MaxTuck from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg

Very comfortable and for under $20 you can change out the kydex when you change your carry gun. As your gun collection grows and changes so does your holster.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Skip the CB Micro clip. I tried one with my P238 and it's unstable. It rotates around on the single belt clip no matter how much you tighten the screw.

I'd recommend a double clip hybrid holster, such as the CB MiniTuck. There are many brands of hybrids that are similar (White Hat, Theiss, Old Faithful, etc). They may differ somewhat in terms of stiffness/thickness of the kydex and leather; available types of belt clips; etc, so keep that in mind as you shop.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    Here is a link to the holster for your P238.
    Sig P238 ACE-2 Holster

We've got a lot of great reviews out there for the P238 holster.

Lifetime Warranty, 30 day money back guarantee, and a set of features you won't find on another holster out there.

feature-small.jpg

I carry the p238 in a concealment solutions Black Mamba. It is very similar to the crossbreed, I think you will like that set up, it becomes almost unnoticable after a week or so. I would not go with a cheap option, you get what you pay for and the crossbreed is reasonable, comfortable and durable ( I have one for my XD). You might consider concealment solutions, my last two have arrived in less than a week with standard shipping.

VIP Member
    Bianchi Professional IWB. A big heavy holster is not required for that size of gun.

Thanks for the input, guys. I will look into the ones mentioned, on top of ones I am considering. I do like the interchangable parts that White Hat offers. I could pick up additional Kydex shells for other pistols for different weather/need. It even offers separate OWB leather backing for winter carry. That might be the biggest bang for the buck. :)

Check out the Remora holster.. IWB without clips/loops, but made of a material that stays put without them, at least with smaller, lighter guns like the 238. I have one for IWB, and another for pocket carry, they are very good - especially when driving and getting in and out of a vehicle. The gun position can be easily changed with the IWB.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

I've had a Crossbreed Mini or SuperTuck for every gun I've ever owned. Think they are great once adjusted to meet your specific size.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I carry a Ruger LC9 at 3:00 in a Crossbreed Minituck. It can't be angled for appendix carry, though. For appendix carry I have a Crossbreed Microclip. Both are excellent holsters.
    If you would enslave a people, first you must disarm them.

~ Adolf Hitler
    ~ Mein Kampf

I have a 238 I carry in a Cross Breed Minituck, I highly recommend it. I'm not far off your size, 5'8" / 160, and carry at 4:00. My wife also carries a 238, she has a Minituck and Pure Kustoms Black Ops Pro. She likes both equally, which one she uses depends on what she's wearing. I am considering picking one up for myself, I just don't carry my 238 enough to justify another holster.
    Goat_Herder likes this.

Thanks, Skate. That's very helpful. Do you have any experience with the SuperTuck and how it compares to the MiniTuck. I am back and forth with the White Hat (similar size to the SuperTuck) and the Crossbreed MiniTuck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links