Backpack strap zipper holster?

This is a discussion on Backpack strap zipper holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sitting here thinking about a carry option that will attach to one of the straps on my backpack (big multi-day hiking/expidition type) that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aus71383

Thread: Backpack strap zipper holster?

I am sitting here thinking about a carry option that will attach to one of the straps on my backpack (big multi-day hiking/expidition type) that will allow quick access to my pistol - and that doesn't take the shape of the pistol. Is there anything like this out there? Like a small doc kit bag that has belt loops on it? My preferred carry position is on the sternum strap. That is where most of my accessories go when I'm packing the miles - fixed blade knife, GPS/phone, hand held radio, you name it.

Now that I think about it my camera bag is along the lines of what I'm after, only its about 6 times too big.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

What you are talking about exists.

Hill People Gear Kit Bag, Runners' Bag or Snubby - http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...2/Default.aspx

Kifaru Koala or Koala Lite - Tactical Packs

Austin
    Goat_Herder likes this.

I got my camera case out and unloaded it this morning. I think I will try it on my trip this weekend. I did a little looking around online and some of the options you guys linked to are good, but way too big still. There is one pistol case that is 8"x10". I need something smaller - like 7"x5", or 5"x7" (grip up - top-loader approach). Some of the camera case options may work, but the ones I like are the point-and-shoot style and they are all a lot smaller than my gun fits in. I don't mind squishing around the case to make it work.

This case has a belt loop on the bottom of the picture (the side I would reach in to grab, the flap doesn't open blocking access).

IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

Snubby Dimensions? - HPG - Hill People Gear

Snubby is 8x6x1

If you want to put your FBK, GPS, phone etc.... in there - I'd get the Koala.

There are some "running" chest holsters out there, but the two (5) I linked are the only purpose built ones I've seen that look like they're quality products. I own neither.

Austin

IMG_0743 modified 1.jpg

Here is what I came up with. I took the strap on a waist pack to the longest it would go and used it as a shoulder bag (the black bag there). Plus, it gave me a nice place to hang my water bottle. Double plus :)

S&W M&P40c with 3 mags - 10 round w/no extension w/jhp's in the gun, 10 round w/pinky extension w/jhp's backup, and 15 round w/x-grip w/fmj's. Plus I threw my portable radio in there too. I could have put my iphone in there also, but it would have been tight. I don't think anyone would ever guess what it was on the trail - just another gear bag.

My knife there is an ESEE-4 with blaze orange handle and plain edge green blade. That is my favorite camp knife. I have 2 ESEE's, and if it wasn't for some a-holes that took one I'd have 3, plus some Bark River's. There is something about the G10 material and the configuration of the scales that just "works" on the ESEE-4, plus it is the perfect blade size for camp work. I use it for food prep mostly, but it is good for any camp chore.

Links