SWM seeks OWB

This is a discussion on SWM seeks OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello CombatCarry! I'm new to this forum, and after spending the last day perusing the pages, I'm left with the feeling that there is more ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWM seeks OWB

SWM seeks OWB

Hello CombatCarry! I'm new to this forum, and after spending the last day perusing the pages, I'm left with the feeling that there is more firearms knowledge here than in any other single place.

I'd like to tap into that knowledge base by asking a question or two:

1) I've been trying to find an OWB that would maximize concealment of a Glock23, but to no success. To date, Iíve only tried Kydex. Is it true that even though leather is thicker than Kydex, that because the leather will "form" to your body it will actually offer better concealment than thinner Kydex?

2) Leather or Kydex, Kydex or leather...does anybody have any holster recommendations for OWB with a Glock23 that would maximize concealment and hold the pistol close to the body?

3) Iíve seen some leather holsters that have a rear belt slot away from the pistol, but the forward belt slot is actually seated behind the holster. Any thoughts on its ability to conceal?

Thank you in advance to all who offer their sage insight!

--Dan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

You've come to the right place - there are several excellent holster craftsmen here who can give you all the info you need.

My personal preference in an OWB is Gary Brommeland's DefCon: http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/...ts/def-con.htm

Matt
    Last edited by MattInFla; October 21st, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Assistant Administrator
    Greetings Dan

Indeed, if someone here can't point you at the ideal rig - I doubt anyone can
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Many thanks, Matt and Chris!

It's a pleasure to be here and thank you for the opportunity to learn from truly experienced individuals.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

And...search Fist, Inc., on the I-Net...
    Additionally, there are several individuals on this forum who appear to make some fine holsters...but I have no personal experience with them...only Fist (two dozen+ holsters from Fist and very satisified)...it costs nothing to look!

Good Luck!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Def Con's

I have two of Gary's Def Con's and a third on the way. One is for my G-27 and the other is for a 1911A1. They both conceal as well as an IWB, but more comfortable. IMHO.... You just have to wear the proper length cover garment..

If only someone made a kydex OWB that held as close as the leather rigs :/ My findings all show kydex OWB being generally bad for concealment.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far. From what I'm hearing, it appears that leather may actually be the way to go for a concealed OWB and that Gary Brommeland's Def-Con OWB is a sure-thing.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Service or Presentation models? And if it's at all possible....does anyone have any pictures of the holster while worn on the body?

Thanks again...you guys are great!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....some rules to live by or at least my opinions given

What you want is a tight to the body pancake holster. Belt SLOTS on either side of the gun....nothing behind the gun as it will push the gun away from the body.

Gary's stuff is world class and is very worthy of a look! Kydex is thinner than leather and not as flexible. Kydex is a wonderful material, IMO, for OWB holsters...but as a leather maker....I love leather!

Regardless of what you want in a pancake...follow some general guidelines...keep the belt slots close to the gun, this will suck it in to the body and keep it tight. You may want to consider a hi back body shield if that fits a "need" of yours.

IMO...alot of people offer a Contoured Pancake with most of the molding in the front pc of leather. These are OK...but think the std design works better as it puts more tension on the holster and gives more controlled retention.

Shoot well, god bless and good luck.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGlock23 View Post
    Does anyone have any opinions on the Service or Presentation models? And if it's at all possible....does anyone have any pictures of the holster while worn on the body?

Thanks again...you guys are great!
    I have both. It's hard to tell the difference between them. The "Presentation" has more boning to outline the gun better, but the "Service" looks good and retains the gun just as well. It's hidden when worn, so not to worry.. Unless you open carry? It still looks good and the wait is not as long.

Go to Mark Garritys website, scroll down to The HY-BRID OWB holster. Actually I'll post a pic of the one I'm talking about.

http://www.garritysgunleather.com/BeltHolsters.htm

Here is a pic. Notice that there it has a front wrap design for pulling the holster close into your body. This type of OWB holster works very well when you want it tight to the body as you can get. Tucker Gun Leather makes one similer to this one also.

I have two Brommeland Max-Con V's (IWB) that I wear daily (an Awesome holster) and I have on order two Def-Con's also in service grade coming, that actually should be here any day now. I have no doubt the Def-Con's will be a great OWB holster because Gary is really a true craftsman and everything he makes is top notch, but I use my IWB for deep concealment. But regardless, I don't believe a holster can be pulled tighter into the body as Garrity's a Tucker or one similer when used with the front wrap belt loop design.

Good luck with it.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 21st, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Leather is way to go i've been using a Bonneville from http://www.ubgholsters.com/beltholsters.html

Nate is a forum member here i never cared to carry owb but this holster is changing my mind i will write a review here in the next week or so

Administrator

Thumbs up Addition

Welcome! Join Right In Anywhere On CombatCarry.

Please make sure that you also have a proper gun belt.
    You absolutely need a good gun belt to maximize the concealability of your firearm.
    That would be for a Garrity or Brommeland or any other fine OWB holster that you decide on.
    A belt that is not wide, stiff & sturdy enough will never pull your firearm in close enough to your body.
    Even the very best leather rig will not function properly with a thin and crappy belt.

The belt is every bit as important as the holster.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    True story.....very true. Its critical for OWB carry to utilize a heavier gun belt.....for a 1911 or equivalent, Id highly recommend a top quality 1 1/2" gun belt. It seriously can make or break your carrying the gun.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Without a doubt agreed on the belt. I just figure it goes hand and hand as a part of the set up.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links