.357 Mag 8 3/8" carry options

This is a discussion on .357 Mag 8 3/8" carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Taurus .357 magnum with a 8 3/8" barrel, and I was wondering what my options to carry it on my person. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Chief1297
  • 1 Post By aus71383
  • 1 Post By Stevew

Thread: .357 Mag 8 3/8" carry options

.357 Mag 8 3/8" carry options

I recently purchased a Taurus .357 magnum with a 8 3/8" barrel, and I was wondering what my options to carry it on my person. I have tried to look for carrying and concealment options, but nothing looks like it would facilitate the length of the barrel. I realize that this particular type and size firearm has limited options. If at all possible something in black not tan. Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Only hope I can think of would be a vertical shoulder rig and not sure that would work unless you are awfully long from waist to armpit. Maybe a violin case?

Distinguished Member
    8+ inch barrel? holy cow! I'd consider a wheelbarrow!

ok... kidding aside, to accommodate a gat that big you're probably looking at a custom made rig along the lines of a vertical shoulder holster. concealment on the hip would be tough, if at all possible. a quality custom rig can run into some serious money... possible more than a smaller gun, like perhaps an .88 magnum. ok... slipped back into "kidding mode" again, but I just watched johnny dangerously again yesterday... couldn't help myself.

best of luck with your search.. let us know what you find!

oh yeah.. welcome to the group!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Move to an open carry state and polish that bad boy up till you can shave in your reflection. Then carry it with pride.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You could go IWB but most folks would just think you were just glad to see them....
    Kadonny likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Check out Simply Rugged Holsters

Simply Rugged Holsters ? Holsters, Gun Belts, Ammo Pouches and Accessories

Simply Rugged made a holster for a friends 41 mag w/ 8+" barrel. He got the Sourdough Pancake holster with the chest rig.
    He really likes it.

Its good solid leather works for a large revolver.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I know that "everything is bigger in Texas" but isn't a +8" barreled EDC concealed revolver just a little, uh...extreme?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

First of all - the idea seem ridiculous. People think carrying a full sized gun is a big deal - I do it all the time - but carrying a full size gun plus an extra 4.5 inches of barrel is way over the top. Owning a 357 with an 8 3/8" barrel is for shooting silhouettes or hunting - not concealed carry. I would sell it and buy something more practical.

That said - if you want a holster for that gun, this is the type I would suggest. Andrews Custom Leather Click on "Spring Break" in the shoulder holster section on the left. The gun is carried muzzle down, and the holster is a spring loaded clamshell design that allows a straight out draw.

Good luck,

Austin
    gasmitty likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    All I can say is, if you do indeed figure out a way to actually and comfortably conceal an 8 3/8" barreled revolver I will be uber impressed and would love it if you posted a picture.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    All I can say is, if you do indeed figure out a way to actually and comfortably conceal an 8 3/8" barreled revolver I will be uber impressed and would love it if you posted a picture.
    X 2. I'd love to see that too.

Personally, I wouldn't carry that long of a barrel, period. It will take way too long to get out of the holster and it will need way too much space to swing into firing position (esp. if in close quarters) plus that long barrel can get caught on jackets, etc.. Get something cheap and smaller to carry.

Decorate it as a walking stick.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    X 2. I'd love to see that too.

Personally, I wouldn't carry that long of a barrel, period. It will take way too long to get out of the holster and it will need way too much space to swing into firing position (esp. if in close quarters) plus that long barrel can get caught on jackets, etc.. Get something cheap and smaller to carry.
    It's really none of our business to critique the OP's choice of personal defense weapon; let's help him with his situation.

Use a vertical shoulder holster for this piece; the X15 and X2100 were/are both made for the 8-3/8" 44 Smith. Use the shortest grips you are willing to shoot with; it's the grip, not the barrel, that "prints". You will be able to sit easily with this setup, though ideally you're a big man, otherwise the weight of any vertical rig can be quite tiring and irritating; and even cause you to stand lop-sided :)

That is a hand cannon depending on your height and body build I think you might consider turning it into a briefcase gun...lol Seriously I would not think twice about carrying a pistol that big.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    That's more of a hunting gun or field gun than anything else. The vertical shoulder holster is pretty much the only possible concealment method. If you're less concerned about concealment, a chest rig might work, too.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have a 4" Model 66 that I have a hard time envisioning on my hip, this thing needs a set of wheels and a hitch point.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Links