Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price?

This is a discussion on Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by Gary Brommeland Sorry for such a lengthly post. My customers will tell you that I like to talk to \'em!:D ) Sometimes ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price?

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Gary Brommeland
    Sorry for such a lengthly post. My customers will tell you that I like to talk to \'em!:D ) Sometimes I may give you more of an answer than you wanted, but I want to make sure that all of my customers (as well as potential customers) all feel as though I have taken the time to treat them right. Thanks for letting me rant.
    Not a problem, I like detail in an explanation. If I thought you were going to tell me the same thing all the other guys tell me, I wouldn\'t have asked the question in the first place :P Seriously, you another question I had all ready for you and that was how do the other guys make them so cheap compared to a cutom holster. I wasn\'t sure of what corners there were to be cut. Now I (and everyone else) knows what it takes to make a holster. ;)

2. Remove Ads

Kahrman
    Good information that I didn\'t know :D

It\'s obviously a matter of personal opinion. Everyone here has said yes and maybe for everyone else that is the right answer. Twenty years ago I would have agreed - but the wait back then was apparently not what it has become these days. I\'ve been waiting for more than six months now for a set of custom wood grips - I would not wait that long for a holster. Sorry - it\'ll be a month of Sundays (a looong time for a preacher) before I\'ll ever order anything \"custom\" again.

I, too, have a stack of holsters I don\'t use much anymore - and they are nearly ALL of the custom variety (mostly Ken Null\'s work). Yes - they are masterful creations - but for me, leather has not proven to be the best option. Believe it or not - for practical 24/7 carry I have found a $15 nylon IWB that works best for me than anything else I have ever used. It took many years of trial and error carry and my solution might not work for anybody else - but it does work for me - and that\'s the only thing that matters.

Rickman
    Custom leather is worth the cost and the wait for many people, not for others because of the high cost in relation to assembly line leather. But Gary Brommeland is correct, most people do have a stockpile of old holsters, most of them probably like new. Pay me now, pay me later probably does apply as well.

Gary, your leatherwork does look to be high quality but the prices are reasonable compared to some of the other custom work out there. Do you make OWB holsters as well?

Although I usually use Blade Tech these days, when it comes to leather, my friend, SAM ANDREWS is second to none! He has a small shop in Alachua Florida which is near Gainesville.
    Try his online catalog. I own five of his holsters.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Originally posted by Rickman
    Gary, your leatherwork does look to be high quality but the prices are reasonable compared to some of the other custom work out there. Do you make OWB holsters as well?
    Howdy, Rickman!

Yes, I do offer one OWB at this time - it is a strong side pancake type design called the Def-Con. I have another in the works, a Nelson style - also strong side. I am moving my shop to Tennessee in the spring - as soon as the new building is finished, that new belt holster is the next thing on my \"to do\" list.
    Thank you for your interest in my work. Please feel free to call me with any questions - you don\'t have to order a holster to ask a question. The present shop # is 352-288-3292. Thanks!

Great information thank you! Yes I do have at least 5 holsters, 2 belts etc laying in a junk bag and I am not a holster guy. Think how many a serious holster guy has. :P Keep us posted with your address and email me if you are putting together a list.

Hello. This is my first post here, although I've been at AR15.com since about 1998 or so (same screen name). I was referred here by Gary Brommeland. In fact, I just got off the phone with him. I thought the good news was that my P226R and two 3913 (custom) MaxCon VI's were 2-3 weeks out. Apparently the recommendation of this forum was the icing on the cake!

At any rate, YES, hand crafted custom leather is worth the money. And it is worth the wait (be prepared to wait, BTW). But I'd rather wince at the initial payment versus every time I wear an inferior (cheaper) holster. Though, that being said I didn't really wince when I paid for my holsters today, did I Gary? Maybe that's because I have been using a MaxCon VI with my 1911 for the past year and think it's worth every penny of what Gary charges for it.

In short, the MaxCon VI is just incredible. It is exceedingly comfortable and conceals a full size 1911 about as well as the classic "summer special" design conceals a 3913. Though the 1911 in the MaxCon VI is more comfortable than the smaller gun in the summer special. I'm serious. The MaxCon VI is that comfortable.

I've never worn a VersaMax II, although have compared one next to my MaxCon VI and the VM uses thicker leather then the MC, resulting in a slightly thicker profile. The thin profile of the MaxCon VI is really one of it's main benefits, probably owed in large part to Gary's innovative "clamshell" metal insert design. Gary doesn't shape one piece of metal into a "U", but shapes two pieces of metal that are designed to sit together like a clamshell. A good visual referrence here online is the "U" versus "()" -- hopefully this provides help explain the design.

I should also say that I have had very good experiences with Lou Alessi as well and have both IWB and OWB holsters, belts and mag pouches from Lou. I went with Gary when I started looking for IWB designs that put the belt loops in the front and rear of the holster (Lou doesn't have anything like this). Quite frankly, my recent purchase of the MaxCon VI for my other firearms demonstrates that I'm sticking with Gary's design for IWB holsters.

I look forward to spending time here and thank Gary for sending me this way!

Corey

EDITED to fix a typo and code on a smilie.
    Last edited by Corey; March 18th, 2005 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fix code on smilie and delete an errant parenthesis.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    Hello. This is my first post here, although I've been at AR15.com since about 1998 or so (same screen name). I was referred here by Gary Brommeland. In fact, I just got off the phone with him. I thought the good news was that my P226R and two 3913 (custom) MaxCon VI's were 2-3 weeks out. Apparently the recommendation of this forum was the icing on the cake!
    Welcome to the forum, Corey, we're glad you found us! And thanks, Gary, for recommending us
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hey, Corey!
    When I referred you to the forum, I did not expect such an endorsement! Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them a bunch. Thank you.

Bumper,
    I guess this is my day to spread good news - I made your Max-Con V yesterday. I've still got to dip it (my finish process is a total immersion in a liquid acrylic to fully seal the leather), so it won't be dry enough to ship for a few days, but you'll have it by this time next week. Thanks!

I have been waiting for my blade-tec for months. Ill know if its worth it when I get it.

I am left handed and carry an XD, so I gotta order most times anyway. Months is a horrible time frame though, especially when they tell me 4-6 weeks.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    Bumper,
    I guess this is my day to spread good news - I made your Max-Con V yesterday. I've still got to dip it (my finish process is a total immersion in a liquid acrylic to fully seal the leather), so it won't be dry enough to ship for a few days, but you'll have it by this time next week. Thanks!
    Gee, I feel a little silly, Gary, here we are near the end of May, I have had the holster for quite awhile (and absolutely love it) and I just found this post. Sheesh, I try to read every forum post but missed this one. Sorry about that! :1saufen:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Worth the Wait

Yes. Think about it you spend 100's (some of us thousands) of dollars on a reliable weapon....it needs to be finished of with something better than a $20 holster belt combo. The holster, belt and you, along with the gun completes the weapon system. Any part not up to snuff...and you put youself (loved ones) in danger.
    "So others never have too"

Custom made holsters are definitely worth the wait seeing as how they will fit your gun like a glove. But, just because a holster is custom made doesn't guarantee that it won't eventually sit in a dresser drawer.

Red face

I have not seen any poorly made custom holsters.

What I have seen is holsters that are lacking in design--usually made by good leathermakers, who do not carry a gun/s EVERY day, 12 to 18 hours a day, week in and week out, for many years. Their stuff is still pretty, just is not functional.

One of the reasons I am so partial to Sparks.
    Last edited by KC135; June 13th, 2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: can't spell, and left out words........
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links