Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price? - Page 4

Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price?

This is a discussion on Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't mind paying a good price and waiting a reasonable time, but it does get frustrating waiting 2 months + for a holster. I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't mind paying a good price and waiting a reasonable time, but it does get frustrating waiting 2 months + for a holster. I waited 6 weeks for my blade tech ultra conceal IWB but I think it's poorly designed. the belt "loop" is too hight and doesn't account for the fact that no belt is at the uppermost edge of your pants because the belt loops are sewed at the top, so, the top of your belt is always about a 1/4" below the top edge. On the ultra conceal, they didn't take this into consideration so it lifts your belt up. Then, the "tab" that runs up from the bottom of the holster, up an over the edge of the pants to form the belt loop is too thick and too stiff, and because of how it's positioned, it' forms a "wing" behind your gun. so instead of your belt riding around the weapon and back against you, it rides up over the gun, then over and across the tab/loop and then turns back toward the body and that leaves a BIG gap there that is uncomfortable and works against concealability. If the tap could flex a little so the belt could pull it back against the body the way a belt pulls the wing of a pancake holster back against the body, it would be idea. I think the holster would only sit will with someone who is quite big. My opinion only but I think the holster was overpriced and underdesigned. It does fit the weapon well but I would expect that.

I've ordered a leather holder from Andrews Custom Leather for my 1911. It's been about 2 months and I'm still waiting. I can see waiting for a leather product longer than a molded product but maybe thats just a false notion.

Still, to get the right (and I mean perfectly right) hoster sure is tricky.

I'll let you all know on the 1911 holster turns out.

God Bless

Gideon

Just got my Saddle Holster from Andrews for my P-99, It took almost 2-1/2 months and was worth EVERY SECOND and EVERY PENNY I paid. What a difference! I coudn't be happier with it. Sam was professional, polite and a welcome pleasure to order from. Will be ordering another one soon for my GP-100, as well as one for my GF's P-99 compact after she takes my CCW class this weekend.

(Yes it can be frustrating waiting, but it IS worth it!)

Jacob

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Ordered Blade-Tech belt holster and double mag pouch, both w/Tek-Lok for P99 from Brownells as a special order back the last week of April. They promised 5-6 week to ship and it arrived yesterday (7 weeks total). Total damages (with the C&R FFL discount, yup even on special orders) was <$93 including shipping.

Tried gun in holster and mags in pouch and they look good, had to run off to a meeting so I didn't try them on the belt yet. This is my backup gear for the Randy Cain course I'm taking at the end of this week. Talk about Just in time delivery!

Thumbs up Sam Andrews Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I've ordered a leather holder from Andrews Custom Leather for my 1911. It's been about 2 months and I'm still waiting. I can see waiting for a leather product longer than a molded product but maybe thats just a false notion.

Still, to get the right (and I mean perfectly right) hoster sure is tricky.

I'll let you all know on the 1911 holster turns out.

God Bless

Gideon
    Is your 1911 loaded with custom features like an extended beavertail or a high sight track? Sam has grown to the point that he has a lot of stock on hand especially for the 1911. When I visit my father in law I sometimes drop by Sam's shop near Gainesville, FL and say hi. Or did you order your initials on the holster? That makes it a custom job. Sam is worth the wait!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

i think it's what kind of gun you are carrying if it's a 120 dollor saturday night special then go for the cheapest holster you can buy cuz the gun might not work, if you have the best money can buy and you replaced more part then came in your gun go. with the best holster.

but for me i don't think they are worth it. I might pull 1/2 sec faster with it but for me I don't need the 1/4 of a sec. faster. I carry concealed so i can have a little uper hand.

if people don't know it's there you don't need to worry cuz inless they are traned and they see you pull a gun out of your waste band there going to take a sec. to process that (inless there on drugs)

I live in NJ, so I can't carry, but I have a Milt Sparks IWB holster for a 1911 that I used at a match right after I got it (the holster). My reaction was to spend the rest of the day repeating, "Remember to take the gun off", "Remember to take the gun off", "Remember to take the gun off",...

That thing was soooooo comfy
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

One simple word............YES!!!!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links