Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price?

This is a discussion on Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen several I would like to try out but I have so many that I never use I hate to spend the money. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are custom holsters worth the wait and the price?

I have seen several I would like to try out but I have so many that I never use I hate to spend the money. Some people swear by them, others buy them and don't use them any more than an Uncle Mike's. Are they worth it?

Yes they are. A generic Uncle Mike\'s has its purpose,I have two,but when you strap on a custom made Black Hills, or Galco,which are but two out of many holster makers,it makes a big difference in comfort,ease of attaining your firearm,retention & safety of your firearm. That holster is made exactly for that particular firearm which reenforces the above reasons for a quality,custom holster. A good belt is a must also. If you put a $70 plus holster on a $10 KMart belt,your gonna be doing yourself a big disservice from the start.
    But that\'s me.:)

http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/ Erics'stuff is well worth waiting for!:kay:

According to everyone I know who has one, including me, yes. Got that small box of holsters that just doesnt quite cut it. Fortunatley, I found a rig that lets me carry a full size steel 1911 comfortabley iwb. Matching belt and mag/flash really help balance the pistol.
    http://brommelandgunleather.com

Dan

YES!

+1

Originally posted by chameleon
    YES!

Yes:)

Other thing you get when dealing with a custom outfit is a relationship with maker himself (or themselves, depending on size of shop). Custom guys make their living thru word of mouth, so thier products have to be top notch, or they dont last long. You can usually just call up your builder if you have questions and a true custom shop can make slight variations to a rig to suit your personal needs. Try getting a factory made rig changed from and 11 degree cant to 15.

Dan

DC Founder
    Even though I don\'t own one, yes I believe they are. I am going to suffer awhile and then buy a good custom one :kay:

The other half of comfort equation is a belt designed to hold a holstered gun correctly. Most makers offer a matching belt or a belt design they recommend for a particular holster/style. Invest in a good belt.

Dan

Bumper, being I know you carry 1911\'s what are you looking at? I use a SERPA, but am now looking at Milt Sparks and Brommeland. I could care less about holster wear as I think it adds character.

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    Even though I don\'t own one, yes I believe they are. I am going to suffer awhile and then buy a good custom one :kay:

Hey, AP

If you want a review of a Brommeland MaxCon V or VI, belt and mag/flash drop me a pm. I dont wanna sound like an advertisement for Gary, but I have used his stuff exclusively for 2 yrs now. IF it\'s ok w Bumper, I\'ll do it over the forum as long as some other guys post reviews of custom rigs they use.

Dan

DC Founder
    Originally posted by jdsumner
    Hey, AP

If you want a review of a Brommeland MaxCon V or VI, belt and mag/flash drop me a pm. I dont wanna sound like an advertisement for Gary, but I have used his stuff exclusively for 2 yrs now. IF it\'s ok w Bumper, I\'ll do it over the forum as long as some other guys post reviews of custom rigs they use.

Dan
    Sure, go ahead and do a review for them, Dan. I have been thinking of making a subforum for product reviews. I don\'t believe anyone considers someone feeling passionately about a product and voicing it, as an advertisement.

If someone does have an item for sale or trade, there\'s a subforum for that, however. That will help us keep the posts \"cleaner\". Once someone sells an item the post is no longer relevant or helpful to members.

You might want to check this place out. I have their shark skin OWB holsters for my full size 1911, micro compact 1911 and my steyr S9. Also have two of their belts. You need a good gun belt if you are going to carry OWB all day. Makes a BIG, BIG difference in the comfort. Can\'t beat Steve and Della for customer service.

http://raftersgunleather.com/

Coupla yrs ago, my wife left her executive postition to be with our kids. Money got tight, but it was a good move. Made a decision that my 5\" 1911'could do everything I needed to do with a pistol. So I sold my compact guns and odd-ball revolvers to pay off a few credit cards to make the transition to one income easier, and to purchase a few things for the full size guns. I had been using an owb hoster off and on (gift from my dad a few yrs prior Galco Avenger). But I decided I needed a dedicated \'concealed'carry rig. Called a few makers and just on a whim, one night well after business hours, I call this Brommeland guy. Guess what? Dude answeres the phone! I lay down my story, and Gary says that I should probably look at his Max Con V holster. He also suggests that I take a good look at the Sparks'Watch Six and Versa Max. He had nothing but good things to say about Tony Kanaley and the quality of Sparks'products. Well, after looking at all the rigs mentioned and due to the fact Gary apperently had nothing to hide, I gave him a call back. I recieved my Max Con V, and matching 1.5\" gunbelt about a week before a Cumberland Tactics \'tactical handgun 101'class. I spent the first 2 nights drawing an empty pistol from the holster to get used to it. Took it to Randy\'s class and it functioned beatufully. In fact, I know that one guy from Minnesota ordered one when he got home. This rig is absolutely the most comfortable (inside or outside waistband) rig I\'ve ever used. And I\'ve tried a few. Carrying a 5\" steel 1911, a spare mag and 6p light is cake with this outfit. One thing that was really noticable, was that Gary\'s belts are stiff, but not so rigid as to restrict movement. And it does NOT look like a gunbelt. Gary\'s leather is the glossiest black you\'ve ever seen. The MaxCon V hoster has a neat feature. The rear loop is cut slightly larger than the fore loop. I asked Gary about this and he said \"sit down in you vehicle and drive, call me back\". Ok, sat down and rode around a little bit. The larger loop lets the holster move ever so slightly up and foreward, keeping the grip accesible and not poking you in the side. Guy seems to know what he\'s doing.
    About a year later, Gary asked me to test drive a prototype holster called the MaxCon VI-essentially a V with a steel band reinforcing the mouth. Not all that neccessary since the leather in my V has never collapsed to the point in cant be holstered by just pressing the muzzle against the sweat shield as I press the gun home.
    Ok, Ok I know long post. I hope you guys take the time to read it. Especially you guys with full size pistol who think maybe you cant hide one. I carry mine, with mag and light, all covered by a polo shirt one size too large.
    http://brommelandgunleather.com
    Dan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links