Glock 22 Primary / 27 backup?

This is a discussion on Glock 22 Primary / 27 backup? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently got a G22 Gen4. Realizing that I had an IWB holster for the G22 in the closet, I gave it a try. ...

So I recently got a G22 Gen4. Realizing that I had an IWB holster for the G22 in the closet, I gave it a try. What do you know? It's pretty easy to conceal a full-size Glock! It's even fairly comfortable.

My primary carry up to now has been a G27. So now I'm thinking about carrying it as my primary, and making the 27 my backup. At least in the winter when long cloths don't stand out as much. Does anybody do this? If so, how do you carry the 27?

VIP Member
    When I carry a backup I carry a 642. I purchased a Glock 27 to do as you describe, but the 27 didn't work for me. I know many people love the baby Glock, and I wish I was one of them.

I carry the backup in an ankle holster. Not at all ideal for drawing in most situations. But when in uniform it has several advantages. First if a fight has gone to the ground there are many positions where I could get a gun on my ankle and could not get a gun on my hip. Further, drawing from the strong side can be difficult when sitting and nearly impossible when a seatbelt is thrown into the mix. However a pistol on the left ankle is easy to grab while sitting behind the wheel. And since the only time I feel the need to have two pistols is when I'm in uniform it works well for me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I also had a 27 as my primary. I purchased a Gen 4 22 and like it so much I carry it year round. With the 22 and an extra mag I see no need to carry 2 Glocks, unless your a LEO or live in some bad neighborhood. So I sold my 27. I have several holsters for the 22 and always grab for the OWB Glock Sport Combat holster. It carries high and tight and more comfortable than IWB. Easy to conceal also. If I do carry a backup, its a S&W Airweight in a belly band.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    My 19L, shown in my avatar, is my edc, and my 19 is my backup.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

It's funny, but without me specifically saying it you guys have hit on one of the questions I didn't ask. I'm not a LEO, and I do my best to stay out of high crime areas. My first response to any threat will be to GTFO. So do I need to carry a backup? No, not really.

I'm going to keep the G27 regardless because I love the damn thing, and each has its application. But I probably won't carry both at the same time.

New Member Array SigmundJake229's Avatar
    I use my 27 on a vest holster as my BUG. If my right arm is unusable, I can unzip my shirt and access my BUG on my right side with my left hand. Kind of funny, they made me qualify that way, left handed with my 27 drawn from a vest holster. Did just fine, only lost a little skin between my thumb and forefinger when I gripped it a bit wrong. Overall the 27 is a very nice gun.

God Bless America!!!!

Sigmund Jake

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    G27 is my primary

I carried a G27 for several years as a Summer primary and Winter BUG. Its a great piece. I used a Crossbreed holster year round. Never had an issue even with t-shirt and shorts at the beach.

Links