Shooting drills with leather/kydex IWB (working out the bugs)

This is a discussion on Shooting drills with leather/kydex IWB (working out the bugs) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently took my M&P40c to the range in order to get some practice with my new Foxx IWB. My goal was to practice drawing ...

Thread: Shooting drills with leather/kydex IWB (working out the bugs)

Shooting drills with leather/kydex IWB (working out the bugs)

I recently took my M&P40c to the range in order to get some practice with my new Foxx IWB. My goal was to practice drawing from the holster in a simulated self-defense manner and put two rounds on target...... starting from a slightly crouched position (to simulate being startled by sudden/nearby gunfire), turned toward the target, drew my weapon and fired. In addition to familiarizing myself with the interaction between the gun and holster, I also learned something unexpected.....

I had worn this holster around the house for a while and felt very comfortable with it. I had cleared my shirt and drawn the gun many times, pointing the gun at the wall at home. No problems at all. Then, I got to the range and immediately started having an issue with the tail of my shirt hanging against the rear belt clip on the holster (I have the standard metal clips). Granted the shirt I was wearing that day was just a bit longer than usual, but it was still a shirt I wear often - and is a good choice for a cover garment. I should say that I don't necessarily think this is a problem with the design of the clips on the Foxx holster, I'm sure they could be bent slightly or adjusted to aid in fixing this problem if needed. I adjusted the way I cleared my shirt and all was good from then on, but this took several attempts to get it right.

So, the moral of the story is this: practice with your carry gear and try to make it as real as you can. You never know what kind of unexpected "bug" you may find and work out.....after all, that is the point of practicing in the first place, right?!

Hope you all find this helpful.

2. Remove Ads

I wish I could. The local range doesn't allow holster draw shooting, unless you're an LEO. I suppose at some point or other somebody shot their foot off (or someone else's) and that was the end of that.

VIP Member
    I am in the process of de-bugging a prototype holster right now, so I appreciate what you are saying.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Well, I use the term "range" loosely...read as "old reclaimed coal mining strip job". Lol

I wish I had a real range nearby, but sometimes these informal places have their advantages.

Holster draw can be dangerous I guess, but as we know it's just a reality of cc that you gotta be able to make a clean draw and still make accurate shots. If you dont train that way every now and then, then it could be a disadvantage. You could effectively do the same drill unloaded of course, but I felt the need to practice the entire sequence including getting accurate shots on target.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Thats good to know.I have a few holsters already and should make sure the same doesnt happen with them.Ill check to see if my range allows them

also if you wear a leather holster this practice is a good way to fully break it in.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

There are several "CC Shirts" out on the market that have velcro release side panels and snaps for the bottom buttons on the shirt. I use the left hand to grab the bottom of the shirt, yank it up under my right arm pit which clears the gun and keeps me from sweeping my left hand when drawing, draw using the right hand into a clear area and then on pushing out to the target adding the left hand back for the two handed shooting stance. There are also shirts that have one top real button and the rest are sewn on the left side but have snaps all the way down the front. These are for those folks that need "Thunder Wear" as in guns in holsters that are sewn into the left or right arm pit which also conceals very well. Another version has a magnet and steel plate at the bottom of the shirt that will easily release for a IWB or Mex Carry. However the key here is Practice, Practice and more Practice.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Links