need help carrying at work

This is a discussion on need help carrying at work within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first handgun was the LCP so that I would never have any excuse not to carry. But the job I got recently is causing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: need help carrying at work

need help carrying at work

My first handgun was the LCP so that I would never have any excuse not to carry. But the job I got recently is causing me some problems.

I work at a car dealership in the detail department. The major problem I have is that if I had to draw I would have to clear a jacket, hoodie, tucked in uniform shirt, and then get my hand on the very small grip of the lcp. So I was hoping for some ideas on other carry methods that would be a quicker draw. Below are some of my thoughts on different methods.

Ankle carry: Indoor pressure washer running for a few hours a day concerns me. (the gun getting wet/ moisture in the air causing rust?)

Pocket carry: At the peak I can wash more than 50-60 cars a day. Getting in and out of vehicles seems to be the optimum time for the handgun to fall out.

Belly band: I cannot come up with any advantages over IWB

OWB: The heating in the shop is good, so when I am not freezing in the 14 degrees outside I am shedding layers inside. Paired with a lot of bending over while doing details I feel like the gun would inevitably show from under any cover garment.

I feel like I am doomed to a slow draw. Any thoughts to steer me in the right direction?

-Xtra

2. Remove Ads

Re: need help carrying at work

What about a smartcarry. Or if you can changing out your pants for some cargo pants with velcro flaps over the pockets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I probably could look in to smart carry. From what I understand that would go in front of the tucked in shirt right? Unfortunately I cannot change out the pants. They are provided to us.

Yeah it would go between your tucked in shirt and your pants. It sounds like it might be your best option if your stuck with the pants.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Check out Bulldog Cell Phone Concealed Carry case, clips onto belt and as it says looks like a cell phone pouch.
    http://www.cabelas.com/holsters-belt...-holster.shtml

Can you modify the pants by adding a velcro dot to the pocket? It would be all but invisible and help secure a pocket carry. Would take less than the length of a sitcom to sew in. Once your pocket is velcroed closed the odds of the gun falling out are slim and it would still be fast to access. I think some solution that lets you pocket carry sounds like your best bet.
    miller_man likes this.

If your employer allows you to carry and knows you do, your simplest option is to pocket carry in the outermost layer of garments (jacket/hoodie if outside, pants pocket if inside). With an LCP and a GOOD holster that should be no problem.

If your employer does not allow carry, you should not be carrying while at work.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

My employer does not allow guns on their property but i have had a weapon at work with me for over 10yrs. There are ways to do this.

Pocket carry is the way to go. Work on fine tuning your situational awareness with "When/Then" thinking, and you'll be ahead of the curve, thus making the speed of your draw less important.

What I mean by that is think through the various scenarios, where you might be called upon to draw your carry weapon to protect yourself and others, and develop a plan of action in advance. If you're always aware of your surroundings, and who is doing what, you'll spot the problem before it's in your face, allowing you to seek cover, get your weapon out and into play before the BG knows what happened.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPADALE1 View Post
    My employer does not allow guns on their property but i have had a weapon at work with me for over 10yrs. There are ways to do this.
    Yes, there are ways to do this but not LEGALLY. Bad advice, and advice that should not be put forth on this forum. JMO...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

I would weigh the risk of losing a job and ability to support ones family over risk of armed encounter at that workplace. Sometimes you have to compromise and just keep your carry time higher during when risk is higher. Just my .02...
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Yes, there are ways to do this but not LEGALLY. Bad advice, and advice that should not be put forth on this forum. JMO...
    This, or any forum that exists wouldn't exist if it weren't for "bad advice". LOL Advice is worth what you pay for it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    Can you modify the pants by adding a velcro dot to the pocket? It would be all but invisible and help secure a pocket carry. Would take less than the length of a sitcom to sew in. Once your pocket is velcroed closed the odds of the gun falling out are slim and it would still be fast to access. I think some solution that lets you pocket carry sounds like your best bet.
    I think this is a pretty good idea. When I pocket carried I often considered doing something like this, but I could't really picture having to do this to all my pants/shorts. But if it was just a couple of work pants I would think this would be a good idea and worth it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    I wear IWB with untucked shirts.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Whether it is the govt. or employer rules, i will not be without my firearms! I am not telling anyone to do/try this. Just stating what i do. I am out on construction sites all over middle Tenn. and there have been a number of robberies at the job sites over the years.
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers here.
    jblitz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links